More Economic Good News: Jobless claims lowest in 18 months!

You can always count on "The economy must fail" Zander

Yes Zander, it must all be "seasonal"

How do you account for?

625,000 claims in Jan 2009
500,000 claims in Oct 2009
432,000 claims in Dec 2009

That can't be a downward trend can it?

According to the BLS - At the start of the recession in December 2007, the number of unemployed persons was 7.5 million, and the jobless rate was 4.9 percent. We now have over 15 million unemployed and a jobless rate of 10%. You'll have to excuse me if I don't wet myself over this. :cuckoo:

December 2007??

Must have been "seasonal" right Zander?

Now THAT was funny.

Jobless claims fall to lowest level since ’08 - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com

WASHINGTON - The number of newly laid-off workers filing claims for unemployment benefits dropped unexpectedly last week, a sign the job market is healing as the economy slowly recovers.
New jobless claims have dropped steadily since September, raising hopes that the economy may soon begin creating jobs and the unemployment rate could decline. That, in turn, would give households more money to spend and add fuel to the broader economic rebound that began earlier this year.

The Labor Department said Thursday that new claims for unemployment insurance fell by 22,000 to a seasonally adjusted 432,000, the lowest since July 2008. That's much better than the rise to 460,000 that Wall Street economists expected.

The four-week average, which smooths fluctuations, fell for the 17th straight week to 460,250, the lowest since September 2008, when the financial crisis intensified. The crisis led to widespread mass layoffs, which sent jobless claims to as high as 674,000 last spring.

C'mon economy....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that decembers unemployment numbers show us actually gaining some jobs for a change. Its been what 15 straight months of job losses now?

I wonder how many years it will take for the republicans to say Obama caused this Great Recession?

It took them half a century to stoop to that one with FDR.

From what I've read, there are few if any who have said what you claim. Do you have a link? The argument is whether or not the approach that FDR took which lowered the level of unemployemnt to the rate it is currently at right now was capable of improving beyond that level absent WW2.

Moving from a level of 25% unemployed to 10% unemployed was great. I am the child of depression era parents who worshipped FDR and by proxy Hubert H. Humphrey. The question in retrospect is could his approach have reduced it to the 5% used as a benchmark for full employment. We'll never know the answer to that one.

We will know the answer to how it might work under The Big 0. Right now, there are more workers unemployed in the USA than there have ever been. Contrary to our hopes, there is not only one way to go from here.

We all must wait breathless to see on what the next trillion will be squandered. One would think that anybody who needed a payoff already got it. Perhaps the next trillion will actually go toward helping the economy.

How do you account for?

According to the BLS - At the start of the recession in December 2007, the number of unemployed persons was 7.5 million, and the jobless rate was 4.9 percent. We now have over 15 million unemployed and a jobless rate of 10%. You'll have to excuse me if I don't wet myself over this. :cuckoo:

December 2007??

December '07 is when the recession "officially" started. You seem to have a real problem when confronted with facts.

December 2007??

December '07 is when the recession "officially" started. You seem to have a real problem when confronted with facts.

I'm sure that Dec 2007 number of 4.9% reflected only "seasonal" hirings, just like you said for this year

December 2007??

I'm sure that Dec 2007 number of 4.9% reflected only "seasonal" hirings, just like you said for this year

Wow, you really are an idiot!! The unemployment rate for the November 2007 was 4.7%. It started to rise in December of 2007 (to 4.9%) which coincided with the "official" start of the recession. The 2008 unemployment rate was 5.8%. It is now at 10%. If you think that is good, you are dumber than I thought.

Zander, I have bad news for you. He is dumber than you thought. He thinks more people filing for unemployment is a good thing.
The unemployment rate is going to go up. The only thing keeping it down is people getting discouraged and dropping out of the job search. When the Bush tax cuts expire tomorrow and taxes go up there will be less job creation. When they pass this abortion of a health care bill the cost to hire will go up and so will joblessness.
None of this is rocket science. But somehow the Obamites just don't get it.

Wow, you really are an idiot!! The unemployment rate for the November 2007 was 4.7%. It started to rise in December of 2007 (to 4.9%) which coincided with the "official" start of the recession. The 2008 unemployment rate was 5.8%. It is now at 10%. If you think that is good, you are dumber than I thought.

Come on Zander....keep up

You are the one claiming that December numbers don't count.....Your word.......seasonal

Come on Zander....keep up

You are the one claiming that December numbers don't count.....Your word.......seasonal

You really are a dolt. You posted an article that showed WEEKLY unemployment numbers dropping, not monthly. The same article stated :
Analysts cautioned that the weekly data could be artificially low due to seasonal factors, such as the Christmas holiday and recent snowstorms
Do you even read the shit you post?

I wish this was a sign of recovery, but it isn't.
Analysts cautioned that the weekly data could be artificially low due to seasonal factors, such as the Christmas holiday and recent snowstorms.
It is a seasonal fluctuation.

How do you account for?

Zander

Please keep up, I know you started your New Years drinking early...but this stuff is not that hard. The number of claims has decreased throughout the year. Look at ALL the numbers.

GOOD news Zander

Now you can go back to your drinking

I wish this was a sign of recovery, but it isn't. It is a seasonal fluctuation.

How do you account for?

Zander

Please keep up, I know you started your New Years drinking early...but this stuff is not that hard. The number of claims has decreased throughout the year. Look at ALL the numbers.

GOOD news Zander

The MO of the right when faced with facts that they don't like is to lie about the facts.

It's what they do.

How do you account for?

Zander

GOOD news Zander

How can you post December's numbers when Dec isn't over yet?
Do you think the days closed for Xmas and New Years might have skewed the numbers just a teensy bit?

How do you account for?

Zander

GOOD news Zander

How can you post December's numbers when Dec isn't over yet?
Do you think the days closed for Xmas and New Years might have skewed the numbers just a teensy bit?

I think this is the last day of December.

Just a guess on my part.

Has Unemployment gone down? NO? Then exactly what good news is this? Ohh ya LESS people last week lost their jobs then the week before. Definately something to be happy about. Unless of course you are one of the ones that LOST your job.

As for whining, Obama INSISTED and The Democrats in Congress agreed that if we just shut up did not read the bill and signed it it would bring back jobs right AWAY AND that unemployment would not exceed 8 percent. Anyone recall those promises? What EXACTLY do they have to do with Bush? Why NOTHING at all. NOT once was Bush invoked while the democrats INSISTED if we just blindly agreed to spend 800 BILLION dollars on what ever they wanted us to jobs would magically appear AND unemployment would not top 8 percent.

SPIN that you retards, SPIN that.

How do you account for?

Zander

GOOD news Zander

And you can go back to your drinking too, Kool-aid drinking. Unemployment at 10% is not good news, no matter how you spin it.

As for whining, Obama INSISTED and The Democrats in Congress agreed that if we just shut up did not read the bill and signed it it would bring back jobs right AWAY AND that unemployment would not exceed 8 percent. Anyone recall those promises? What EXACTLY do they have to do with Bush? Why NOTHING at all. NOT once was Bush invoked while the democrats INSISTED if we just blindly agreed to spend 800 BILLION dollars on what ever they wanted us to jobs would magically appear AND unemployment would not top 8 percent.

SPIN that you retards, SPIN that.

Obama was wrong...there I said it...WRONG

He seriously underestimated the horrific economy that Bush had left him with. He thought that $800 billion could reverse the economic collapse that Bush left the country in. The stimulus did not stop the economic collapse in its tracks like Obama thought it would. The unemployment rate that shot up 3% in the last year of Bush continued to rise another 2.5% under Obama.
The bleeding reached its peak of 10.2% and has dropped down to 10%. More work needs to be done.

Boossshhhh! It was BOOOSSHHHH!!

You would think a year into this that excuse would have gotten old, very old.

The recession of 2001 lasted about 8 months. This one is steaming on into month 24 already. In 2001 Bush cut taxes and produced a very mild short recession. Now Obama has spent trillions and is prolonging it.

Forum List

Back