More convicted felons allowed to enlist in Army, Marines

Not only that, the article specifically states that the crimes were committed as JUVENILES...anyone care to explain the legal siginificance of that?
Actually, it said "many of the crimes were committed when the service members were juveniles", which isn't suprising when you consider the young age of recruits.

Since criminal behavior is linked to discipline and responsibility, the military doesn't care as much about the legal distinctions between juvenile and adult offenders. They are more concerned about facts of the offense and prior record. At least they were when I tried to pawn off clients in my defense attorney days.

Not only that, the article specifically states that the crimes were committed as JUVENILES...anyone care to explain the legal siginificance of that?

It's business as usual for the military. They've always accepted ppl with juvenile records. But they do screen them, and look at them pretty carefully before taking them. At least, they have in the past. I assume they still are. They were as of 2 years ago.

Actually, it said "many of the crimes were committed when the service members were juveniles", which isn't suprising when you consider the young age of recruits.

Since criminal behavior is linked to discipline and responsibility, the military doesn't care as much about the legal distinctions between juvenile and adult offenders. They are more concerned about facts of the offense and prior record. At least they were when I tried to pawn off clients in my defense attorney days.

Wait..I thought you were an appellate prosecutor?

It would be convenient if there was a list of those professions which those convicted of a felony as a juvenile should not be allowed to pursue. Surely the military is not the only one.

Or maybe you're just not very good on either side.

Yes, the state hired me to represent them in state appellate courts and federal courts including SCOTUS because I did a crappy job as a defense attorney.

What color is the sky in your world?

The percentage of the total is still extremely small, but none the less I would prefer we didn't have to dip this low.

I wonder if there are any stats on how these kids do overall? If you had trouble adapting to the laws on the outside, how do you do once you are in the military?

At least they would know how to shoot already.:rofl:

The stats they discussed on NPR yesterday said that there is no middle ground. Enlistees who require waivers either are the best of the best and on average make Sgt quicker than anyone else, or they are the worst of the worst.

I didn't catch an actual percentage.

But that makes sense, based on my observation. Those who see it as a second chance they want to take advantage of are going to excel, while those who are just moving their criminal careers to a new venue will continue to be criminals.

Speaking of shooting. There have been reports that soldiers have gotten on to a fire-range and exceeded expectations, achieving marksmanship. Many have never fired a weapon in their lives....a vast majority of them admit to playing first-person shooter games.

The reality behind that is it is much easier to teach a recruit to shoot who has never fired a weapon because he doesn't have any bad habits to unlearn.

The reality behind that is it is much easier to teach a recruit to shoot who has never fired a weapon because he doesn't have any bad habits to unlearn.

Like sideways shooting and closing their eyes and all the ignorant shit gangsta's do. There is a reason a drive by requires lots of bullets to be sprayed, it is because the morons need pure dumb luck to hit anything.

I have worked with felons, as a student, a defense attorney and a prosecutor. They are not the people you would want to rely on at work. Especially if your work can get you killed.

Some can be turned around, but the significance is that acceptance rates are going up to meet recruitment goals. No wonder the "trend that has raised concerns both within the military and on Capitol Hill".

As for those convicted of burglaries, sex crimes, aggravated assault and robbery, I am not willing to risk the lives of other soldiers to give them a second chance.

You can get a waiver (in the Marines) for burglary. You cannot get one for violent crimes that I am aware of.

The acceptance rates ALWAYS go up or down to meet recruitment. There are more factors than war that affects it.

The economy is one. Are there other jobs available and what do they pay in relation to the cost of living?

You can say the military doesn't pay well, but after you subtract the cost of housing, medical, dental, and food, it pays better than a LOT of civilian jobs.

Perception is another. How is the military perceived? When I first joined in the post-Vietnam era, we were pretty -much ignored by most, or considered a joke.

How one feels about patriotism. And I am not discussing who is more patriotic. I am commenting on individuals who believe that it is their patriotic obligation to serve in the military; especially, during a time of war. Whether or not you believe they are right or wrong in their beliefs, they DO exist and DO enlist.

Supply and demand determines many of the qualifications.

During Vietnam, the Army was taking kids right out of highschool to be helo pilots with the rank of Warrant Officer.

The greater the need the more slack they have to cut.

When I was in, we had what was called "Motivation Platoon." This was for some of our young Marines in the Wing who had less than stellar performance.
It was a return to the glories of bootcamp.

It was the same thing there. Some came back ready to go and succeeded, others went right back to their bad old ways.

There are still kids right out of high school who are training as helio pilots. I know one who spent the last two years in high school getting his flying license and everything in order. He went directly from high school to Afghanistan, where he was a pilot. Until he was shot down, that is.

Like sideways shooting and closing their eyes and all the ignorant shit gangsta's do. There is a reason a drive by requires lots of bullets to be sprayed, it is because the morons need pure dumb luck to hit anything.

LOL

Google, "Homie Sights" for Glocks. The sights are on the sides.

Personally,

I think it's an attitude change affected by the portrayal of the military through the media and poor decisions of politicians. While I know that the military is a great institution, younger, impressionable kids don't. When I was a little kid, the military was "glorified" at every turn. At least from what I remember. I grew up playing war and wanted to be in the Army. Little kids grow up today, and hear "Iraq this....Iraq that.....Our military is doing a poor job...." etc.....

Forum List

Back