More convicted felons allowed to enlist in Army, Marines

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
The percentage of the total is still extremely small, but none the less I would prefer we didn't have to dip this low.

I wonder if there are any stats on how these kids do overall? If you had trouble adapting to the laws on the outside, how do you do once you are in the military?

WASHINGTON - Under pressure to meet combat needs, the Army and Marine Corps brought in significantly more recruits with felony convictions last year than in 2006, including some with manslaughter and sex crime convictions.

Data released by a congressional committee shows the number of soldiers admitted to the Army with felony records jumped from 249 in 2006 to 511 in 2007. And the number of Marines with felonies rose from 208 to 350.

Those numbers represent a fraction of the more than 180,000 recruits brought in by the active duty Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines during fiscal year ending Sept. 30, 2007. But they highlight a trend that has raised concerns both within the military and on Capitol Hill.

The bulk of the crimes involved were burglaries, other thefts, and drug offenses, but nine involved sex crimes and six involved manslaughter or vehicular homicide convictions. Several dozen Army and Marine recruits had aggravated assault or robbery convictions, including incidents involving weapons.

At least they would know how to shoot already.:rofl:

The percentage of the total is still extremely small, but none the less I would prefer we didn't have to dip this low.

I wonder if there are any stats on how these kids do overall? If you had trouble adapting to the laws on the outside, how do you do once you are in the military?

Well you never know, military service might "turn" them around. I'm sure it's happened before. I know you've heard of judges giving deliquents/criminals the option of going to jail or joining the military. I'm not sure if I'd let a serial killer in the military, but depending on the felony, it may be a good thing to instill self-control, discipline, and a bit of civic-pride and responsibilty in them.

Speaking of shooting. There have been reports that soldiers have gotten on to a fire-range and exceeded expectations, achieving marksmanship. Many have never fired a weapon in their lives....a vast majority of them admit to playing first-person shooter games.

Well you never know, military service might "turn" them around. I'm sure it's happened before. I know you've heard of judges giving deliquents/criminals the option of going to jail or joining the military. I'm not sure if I'd let a serial killer in the military, but depending on the felony, it may be a good thing to instill self-control, discipline, and a bit of civic-pride and responsibilty in them.

And don't discount the military need for cannon fodder. :cool:

I have worked with felons, as a student, a defense attorney and a prosecutor. They are not the people you would want to rely on at work. Especially if your work can get you killed.

Some can be turned around, but the significance is that acceptance rates are going up to meet recruitment goals. No wonder the "trend that has raised concerns both within the military and on Capitol Hill".

As for those convicted of burglaries, sex crimes, aggravated assault and robbery, I am not willing to risk the lives of other soldiers to give them a second chance.

I really doubt the military will take those felons. They typically don't even take young men with felonies as juveniles; and they are particularly adverse to accepting person-to-person criminals.

The military has always been a place where criminals can turn their lives around. They used to recruit kids from juvenile detention centers, and during the civil war inmates were allowed to join as well.

It's nothing new at all.

Under pressure to meet combat needs

I seem to recall our conservative brethren insisting that enlistment was indicative of the support for this war..

:eusa_whistle:

Just because re-upping and enlistment numbers are up doesn't mean they're up enough.

Besides, what's the source of that information? I see a date line, but no credits.

uh huh.

stop loss policies probably aren't indicative either.

indeed.. which is why you get yur ass handed to you when those on the left point out the reaction on our culture this war has had; up to and including having to lower standards for a military that is both desperate to fill the roster and having to accept a lesser standard of soldier.

Where's your link to the article? I'm sure it was just an oversight. But you know the drill...please add the link or the article has to be deleted.

Thanks.

indeed.. which is why you get yur ass handed to you when those on the left point out the reaction on our culture this war has had; up to and including having to lower standards for a military that is both desperate to fill the roster and having to accept a lesser standard of soldier.

Pish posh.

Tought I posted it. It was on Yahoo today. Will see if I can find it.

I really doubt the military will take those felons.

They are taking them. That's the point of the article.

Tought I posted it. It was on Yahoo today. Will see if I can find it.

They are taking them. That's the point of the article.

I don't see anything in that article that says they are taking any and all felons, or that they aren't being screened. My point was, they may be taking felons, they have in the past, but I doubt if they're taking sex offenders/murderers/ etc. in.

HOLY CRAP! DISBAND THE MILITARY!

If this keeps up we wont need jails for felons; they will al be in the Army! Come to think of it, military personnel are already criminals....after all they are prosecuting an illegal war.

*sarcasm*

I don't see anything in that article that says they are taking any and all felons, or that they aren't being screened. My point was, they may be taking felons, they have in the past, but I doubt if they're taking sex offenders/murderers/ etc. in.

Not only that, the article specifically states that the crimes were committed as JUVENILES...anyone care to explain the legal siginificance of that?

Forum List

Back