More Black Cyclists Die Because of Racial Divide

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
This is a serious story. I was going to say in the thread that was locked, that I bet many of the black cyclists that were hit or even killed, were likely wearing hoodies which could have prevented them from either seeing or hearing approaching vehicles.
I get the fact that blacks are less likely to be living in neighborhoods with bike lanes, but when I see white cyclists for instance, most of the time they appear to be serious cyclists with the proper gear. I rarely see that when I observe a black bicyclist.

Why don’t more people of color ride bikes? There is no singular reason; however, safety is often cited as a primary concern. In communities of color with a high concentration of low to middle-income residents, the lack of cycling infrastructure elements, such as bike trails, bike lanes, or even shoulders, make cycling unsafe and impractical.

This is a serious story. I was going to say in the thread that was locked, that I bet many of the black cyclists that were hit or even killed, were likely wearing hoodies which could have prevented them from either seeing or hearing approaching vehicles.
I get the fact that blacks are less likely to be living in neighborhoods with bike lanes, but when I see white cyclists for instance, most of the time they appear to be serious cyclists with the proper gear. I rarely see that when I observe a black bicyclist.

I even see serious cyclists with little rearview mirrors on their helmets.

The negro boy who stole my bike last summer was wearing a hoodie — in July…
6A7F1279-C12B-4AC8-AD50-9FC0C5A37951.jpeg

Oh, fuck me running.

I rode my bicycle all over Minneapolis and the 'burbs when I was in my 20s, with NO silly-assed bike lanes, wearing normal clothes and no helmet.

Now these candy asses need a $500+ bicycling wardrobe and special segregated lanes, and snivel if they don't get them.
Same here.
Rode where I wanted, payed attention & never even came close to getting hit.
You have to be semi retarded to get hit by a car.

And just like with guns/violent crime, I'd wager 90% of the time they are hit by another black person.

Same here.
Rode where I wanted, payed attention & never even came close to getting hit.
You have to be semi retarded to get hit by a car.

And just like with guns/violent crime, I'd wager 90% of the time they are hit by another black person.
The pedestrians first and only has overtaken many lib loons states
Don’t walk out in front of cars, They hurt you when they hit you. Even dogs know that

Oh, fuck me running.

I rode my bicycle all over Minneapolis and the 'burbs when I was in my 20s, with NO silly-assed bike lanes, wearing normal clothes and no helmet.

Now these candy asses need a $500+ bicycling wardrobe and special segregated lanes, and snivel if they don't get them.
Neon colored ballet outfits while pictures of stickmen on bicycles drawn on the road are supposed to protect them from multi-ton vehicles.
If there’s traffic, I ride on the sidewalk. I ain’t that stupid.
And fuck helmets. I’m grandfathered in on that bs plus I’m hard-headed.

Nearly 1,000 people die while riding bicycles - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (.gov) May 4, 2022
  • Failing to yield the right of way is the highest factor in fatal bike crashes, followed by bicyclists not being visible.
Most die in Urban settings. I would say bicyclists who die do not ride as a sport or out to get exercise. They ride around for various reasons breaking safety laws and not driving defensively. Since many ride bicycles because of having DUI's, they are most likely in places of low income and crime. That is just my observation. Does this mean more blacks are exposed to the chances of getting into a crash with a car? Yes. What can be done? Start with re-building families which will lead to stronger households with better incomes. They will have cars and move out of the bad areas into places with bicycle lanes. They will buy better equipment and ride more responsibly.

Oh, fuck me running.

Describes my youth exactly. Biked the shit out of that city.

If any kid would have showed up with a helmet when I was a kid he would have been teased to the point of suicide.

We have bike lanes. They still ride in the car lane clogging up traffic instead.

Everything is social injustice. Blacks represent about 15% of the population and far less than that in KKK membership. Social injustice!

Well on the whole blacks live in cities where riding a bike is more dangerous.

Blacks also will use a bike as their primary source of transportation further into life than most non blacks since most non blacks will work to buy a car.

Blacks are less likely to use any safety measures. They wear ear buds all the time and hoodies. They don't wear any reflective clothing when it's dark.

Blacks are less like to obey laws in general including traffic laws.

Blacks are quicker to be irrational or mad so they may get pissed off and ride out into traffic or act like general jackasses.

Forum List

Back