Moon landing

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
So I was just watching the videos of the moon landing and I noticed something. The curve of the moon is only about 100 yards or so. While I know the moon is significantly smaller than the earth, seeing the curve at around that small distance doesn't make sense.
Anyone here to fill me in on that?

Attachments

• 464487main_AS11-40-5886_full.jpg
    464487main_AS11-40-5886_full.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 7
Two reasons: the first is the horizon actually is closer to them, because the Moon is about one quarter the size of the Earth, so the surface of the Moon is more curved than the Earth, so the horizon is physically closer.

Two reasons: the first is the horizon actually is closer to them, because the Moon is about one quarter the size of the Earth, so the surface of the Moon is more curved than the Earth, so the horizon is physically closer.

While I understand that, 100 yards or so? That just doesn't make sense to me

So I was just watching the videos of the moon landing and I noticed something. The curve of the moon is only about 100 yards or so. While I know the moon is significantly smaller than the earth, seeing the curve at around that small distance doesn't make sense.
Anyone here to fill me in on that?
How do you know that's only 100 yds?....There's no frame of reverence in that pic to gauge that.

While I understand that, 100 yards or so? That just doesn't make sense to me
Well, I don't actually know so I guess it's a mystery. What I posted was what "they" say, whoever "they" are. I guess we'll have to go there and make a few measurements. Or, wait until a leftist comes along and explains it seeing how they know everything. ;)

How do you know that's only 100 yds?....There's no frame of reverence in that pic to gauge that.
True. But that's what it looks like, if you consider the surroundings.
I want to be proven wrong. I want to believe we actually went there.

True. But that's what it looks like, if you consider the surroundings.
I want to be proven wrong. I want to believe we actually went there.
We landed about 500 meters from a crater... could that explain the short horizon?....

It's 1/6 the size of the earth. Of course the Earth's horizon would be be six times farther away. The images look perfectly in scale to me.

It's 1/6 the size of the earth. Of course the Earth's horizon would be be six times farther away. The images look perfectly in scale to me.
So 100 yards or so (scaling from surroundings) equals 1/⁶th of three miles or so?

All the "experts" say it's about a a quarter of the Earths size. Pick me up at 0600 and we'll measure the damn thing and get some fresh cheese.

Exactly. I figure I am, hoping I am wrong here, but the scale is too far off for me.
My OP has nothing to do with the conspiracies about the moon landing. Just questions about my observations
So, you're saying we never landed on the moon? ;)

Exactly. I figure I am, hoping I am wrong here, but the scale is too far off for me.
My OP has nothing to do with the conspiracies about the moon landing. Just questions about my observations
I found this....

The pictures from the Apollo moon landings may appear to have a short distance to the horizon due to a combination of factors related to the lunar landscape and the way photographs are taken. Here are some reasons for this perception:

1. Wide-Angle Lenses: The cameras used during the Apollo missions often had wide-angle lenses, which can distort the perception of distance. Wide-angle lenses can make objects in the foreground appear larger and closer than they actually are while simultaneously capturing a broader field of view.
  2. Lack of Atmosphere: The Moon has no atmosphere, unlike Earth, which means there is no atmospheric haze or scattering of light to create the perception of depth in the same way we experience on our planet. This absence of atmospheric effects can make the lunar landscape seem flatter and closer than it actually is.
  3. Flat Terrain: The Apollo landing sites were chosen for their relatively flat and unobstructed terrain to ensure the safety of the astronauts during landing and takeoff. As a result, the landscape around the landing site appears relatively featureless, which can make it challenging to gauge distances accurately.
  4. Human Perception: Our brains tend to use familiar cues and objects to estimate distances. When viewing lunar photos, there are often no easily recognizable objects or landmarks, such as trees or buildings, that we can use to judge distance accurately.
  5. Focal Length and Perspective: The choice of camera focal length and perspective can influence how distances appear in photographs. The shorter the focal length, the more exaggerated the foreground objects may appear, making the horizon seem closer.
  6. Image Cropping: In some cases, photographs from the moon missions may have been cropped or framed in a way that emphasizes certain elements of the scene, which can make the horizon seem closer than it is.
It's important to remember that while these factors can create the impression of a short distance to the horizon in lunar photos, the Moon's surface is still vast, with wide-open spaces that stretch for kilometers. The apparent lack of depth in these images is a result of the unique characteristics of the lunar environment and the photographic techniques used during the missions.

Forum List

Back