MLB 1st Quarter Grades

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
There are four teams playing .600 ball at the quarter season mark. That's the Dodgers and Braves in the NL, and the Rangers and Orioles in the AL. But, there is a team playing .727. That would be the Rays.

Remember when the Padres were going to be the greatest? Well shoveling millions into a few players isn't the ticket. They are playing .500 ball behind the Diamondbacks, while AZ is 3 games behind the Dodgers. I figure being a quarter through the season is enough time for a team to be settled in and it doesn't appear to be what the talking heads in pre-season said about certain teams.

Here is the report card for the MLB:

Poor Athletics received a "G" grade...

Athletics
Grade: G. No, "G" is not a grade in a traditional manner of things, but for the A's we need something lower than a rather pedestrian "F." This G is entirely a reflection of ownership's calculated decision to trot out a base humiliation of a roster all to advance the goal of getting a raft of corporate welfare from Las Vegas. Owner John Fisher and his chief enabler, team president Dave Kaval, deserve shame and scorn for as long as they infect the sport. As for the team on the field, with malice aforethought they're on pace for almost 130 losses this season.

• Banned
I am embarrassed with the Oakland A's. They may have become the worst team ever. My friend went to see them the other day and there may have been 2500 in attendance. So sad.

Athletics do have a loyal fan base with some work and effort by management they could be a top-notch club. There are times when in my opinion the city with these bottom-dwelling teams needs to step in and get the team management in gear toward winning teams.

• Banned
Athletics do have a loyal fan base with some work and effort by management they could be a top-notch club. There are times when in my opinion the city with these bottom-dwelling teams needs to step in and get the team management in gear toward winning teams.
What loyalty? The fans aren't buying tickets.

Fans will stay away if their team doesn't seem to have an interest in a winning season. I have met folks from that city and they tell me the citizens there love baseball. New management with a winning season strategy and commitment would get them back in.

It's way too early to start talking about grades.
The Astros aren't playing their best ball by any stretch. What they did to the Cubs last night is more indicative of how they played last year.
They are missing a lot of starters and the bats have been a bit stale but with the return of Altuve and others I expect they'll get back to form.

The fans in Oakland know that ownership has abandoned them, so they have abandoned the team. I don't blame them one bit. The Cardinals were paying terrible, losing baseball and then they traveled to Boston, and since then, they have only lost once and have put a ton of runs on the board since sweeping Boston.

Great games going on. Btaves /Reds and Astros /Dodgers. I am watching Astros /Dodgers now it isa wild one just like the Reds /Braves games. Full Stadiums great crowds. MLB is not dying as some so called experts have said in the past. It is my favorite sport.

Forum List

Back