Mitt Romney Sure Does Lie a Lot, Doesn't He?

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Kevin Drum

Paul Waldman has done a lot of academic research on political ads. In fact, he says, he has personally watched "every single presidential general election campaign ad ever aired since the first ones in 1952." So what does he think of Mitt Romney's new ad that claims President Obama has a plan for "dropping work requirements" for welfare? "Under Obama's plan," says the narrator, "you wouldn't have to work and wouldn't have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check."

I've seen ads that were more inflammatory than this one, and ads that were in various ways more reprehensible than this one (not many, but some). But I cannot recall a single presidential campaign ad in the history of American politics that lied more blatantly than this one.​

This is what's so striking about Romney's campaign. As Paul says, it's common to twist and distort and cherry pick. But Romney has flatly claimed that Obama said something that, in fact, a John McCain aide said. He's snipped out sentences from an Obama speech and spliced the two halves back together so nobody could tell what he did. Then he did it again to another Obama speech. And he unequivocally said that Obama plans to drop work requirements for welfare even though he's done nothing of the sort.

This is a presidential candidate just baldly making stuff up on the assumption that nobody will ever know.

More: Mitt Romney Sure Does Lie a Lot, Doesn't He? | Mother Jones

The people he is trying to reach don't care if he is blantantly lying or not. They simply hate the fact that there is a xxxxxxxx in the White House and would vote for Satan himself if it meant the xxxxxxx was gone.

The people he is trying to reach don't care if he is blantantly lying or not. They simply hate the fact that there is a xxxxxxxx in the White House and would vote for Satan himself if it meant the xxxxxxx was gone.

Has obammy stopped the rising of the seas yet?

No, he doesn't lie. He really believes in what he says. He is a good decent man, but I think that is why he is behind. Obama is too shrewed at this game and has the crew to pave his way.

By Kevin Drum

Paul Waldman has done a lot of academic research on political ads. In fact, he says, he has personally watched "every single presidential general election campaign ad ever aired since the first ones in 1952." So what does he think of Mitt Romney's new ad that claims President Obama has a plan for "dropping work requirements" for welfare? "Under Obama's plan," says the narrator, "you wouldn't have to work and wouldn't have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check."

I've seen ads that were more inflammatory than this one, and ads that were in various ways more reprehensible than this one (not many, but some). But I cannot recall a single presidential campaign ad in the history of American politics that lied more blatantly than this one.​

This is what's so striking about Romney's campaign. As Paul says, it's common to twist and distort and cherry pick. But Romney has flatly claimed that Obama said something that, in fact, a John McCain aide said. He's snipped out sentences from an Obama speech and spliced the two halves back together so nobody could tell what he did. Then he did it again to another Obama speech. And he unequivocally said that Obama plans to drop work requirements for welfare even though he's done nothing of the sort.

This is a presidential candidate just baldly making stuff up on the assumption that nobody will ever know.

I have been following elections since Eisenhower and I agree with your post. I haven't seen anything to compare with Romney's lies.

I must also say that I have never seen as much apathy toward these lies as there is today.

People just don't seem to care.

By Kevin Drum

I guess you missed the announcement that Barrack Hussein Obama, The Marxist's Marxist...just recently, by executive order gutted the welfare reform bill that Bill Clinton signed and did just that.

By Kevin Drum

I guess you missed the announcement that Barrack Hussein Obama, The Marxist's Marxist...just recently, by executive order gutted the welfare reform bill that Bill Clinton signed and did just that.

Bullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Bill Clinton Calls Mitt Romney Welfare Reform Ad 'Especially Disappointing')

"Governor Romney released an ad today alleging that the Obama administration had weakened the work requirements of the 1996 Welfare Reform Act," Clinton said in a statement Tuesday evening. "That is not true."

The 1996 reform ended welfare as a federal entitlement and transformed it into a program run by states within certain federal rules. Last month, the Obama administration announced it would allow states to apply for waivers from some of the rules if states had better ways of getting welfare recipients into jobs.

While the Romney campaign has suggested the Obama administration made its welfare decision to foster a Democratic "culture of dependency" by making it easier for people to stay on welfare, Clinton pointed out that two Republican-controlled states had requested the waivers.

"The recently announced waiver policy was originally requested by the Republican governors of Utah and Nevada to achieve more flexibility in designing programs more likely to work in this challenging environment," Clinton said.

Clinton added that Republican governors, including Mitt Romney, sought a similar policy in 2005 (a charge the Romney campaign has denied).

No, he doesn't lie. He really believes in what he says.

If someone creates an untruth, and believes their own untruth, that is someone who is textbook delusional. You really want someone who is literally incapable of knowing what is true running our country and making decisions that will change your fate?

Here is the verbatim lie in Romney's ad:

Under Obama’s plan, you wouldn’t have to work and wouldn’t have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check, and ‘welfare to work’ goes back to being plain old welfare."

A flat out lie. A whopper of a lie.

Romney says at the end, "I'm Mitt Romney and I approve this message".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0F4LtTlktm0

He is delusional.

He is a good decent man, but I think that is why he is behind. Obama is too shrewed at this game and has the crew to pave his way.

They are both liars willing to speak the biggest lies possible to acquire power.

If you have to lie and cheat to win, then your cause is unjust. Simple as that.

If you are delusional, then you are extremely dangerous and should be kept away from the levers of power.

Last edited:

If someone creates an untruth, and believes their own untruth, that is someone who is textbook delusional. You really want a candidate who is literally incapable of knowing what is true?

Under Obama’s plan, you wouldn’t have to work and wouldn’t have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check, and ‘welfare to work’ goes back to being plain old welfare."

He is delusional.

He is a good decent man, but I think that is why he is behind. Obama is too shrewed at this game and has the crew to pave his way.

They are both liars willing to speak the biggest lies possible to acquire power.

what I put in bold.....are you sure?

I suggest you start paying attention.

By Kevin Drum

No, but you sure do.

If someone creates an untruth, and believes their own untruth, that is someone who is textbook delusional. You really want a candidate who is literally incapable of knowing what is true?

He is delusional.

You're not very smart, are you?

By Kevin Drum

not as much as you do

He is delusional.

Yes, I am sure. Do you have evidence which proves that lie is actually true?

Didn't think so.

Neither does Romney.

"Under Obama’s plan, you wouldn’t have to work and wouldn’t have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check, and ‘welfare to work’ goes back to being plain old welfare."

Any time someone has the evidence to support this claim, feel free to post it here.

By Kevin Drum

I have been following elections since Eisenhower and I agree with your post. I haven't seen anything to compare with Romney's lies.

I must also say that I have never seen as much apathy toward these lies as there is today.

People just don't seem to care.

:lol:

It's funny when hacks hack.

Forum List

Back