Mitch McConnell

Did anyone watch McConnell Saturday night before the vote to allow official debate on the healthcare legislation? He kept mentioning all of these ideas that the Republicans had about the topic and how he wished his Democratic counterparts would reconsider their votes and allow the process to start over. Did ANY of you wonder to yourselves if the GOP has all of these great ideas to fix our healthcare system, why didn't they DO anything about it while they had control of the Senate and the White House? Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm"....:confused:

He answered that question for you this morning on CNN--a program called State of the Union-

That same question was asked of McConnell. He replied they didn't have the votes to pass new health care reform legislation--which included Tort reform, something of which G.W. Bush pressed for--interstate competition--& small businesse's being able to group together to get the same low rates that large corporations get.

Remember that while Republicans held the house & the senate during the 1st years of the Bush administration--they never had the "super majority" that democrats enjoy today.

Democrats have always fought tooth & nail against tort reform because their party is backed by trial lawyers in this country. If passed it would save 54 BILLION dollars.

First of all, let me just go on the record as stating that I think McConnell's answer is pure bullshit, and secondly, if you believe it, then well, that tells me all I need to know about your partisanship. Finally, IF the GOP had all of these great ideas about reforming healthcare, why didn't the GOP braintrust known as McCain/Palin put them out there during the last election. EVERYONE knew the type of traction both Clinton and Obama were getting with their ideas on healthcare reform. IF the GOP had all of these great ideas, and they were simply blocked by the Democrats, don't you think that would have made for one helluva campaign commercial, or at the very least a good sound bite?

It's nice to know Barbara boxer will win big again, running way ahead the nearest victim. The competition should try to save face and drop out!
It is pure fantasy to think tort reform will result in lower rates, which it will not. Just another made up lie from the right.
The facts are , ove 70% of Americans want this health bill, and those in the Senate` are not pursuing the peoples wishes.
If the economy turns around ( like experts expect) 1then ` Democrats will have the numbers they wanted.Their is a handful of Democrats who claim to be centrists, but in reality are right wingers. Fortunately these people should lose inthe next election.
Boxer will win by million of votes not a few>

Last edited:
It's nice to know Barbara boxer will win big again, running way ahead the nearest victim. The competition should try to save face and drop out!
It is pure fantasy to think tort reform will result in lower rates, which it will not. Just another made up lie from the right.
The facts are , ove 70% of Americans want this health bill, and those in the Senate` are not pursuing the peoples wishes.
If the economy turns around ( like experts expect) 1then ` Democrats will have the numbers they wanted.Their is a handful of Democrats who claim to be centrists, but in reality are right wingers. Fortunately these people should lose inthe next election.

You really do have a right to your opinion on this, but don't try and lie about the numbers that support your fantasy.
New Gallup poll: Support for government healthcare plunges
by Brian Saint-Paul
11/17/09

Bad news for proponents of a government-administered healthcare system: A new Gallup poll finds that a majority of Americans now say it isn't the federal government's responsibility to provide healthcare for Americans.

Gallup has asked this question each November since 2001 as part of the Gallup Poll Social Series, and most recently in its Nov. 5-8 Health and Healthcare survey. There have been some fluctuations from year to year, but this year marks the first time in the history of this trend that less than half of Americans say ensuring healthcare coverage for all is the federal government's responsibility.

I'd say this is considerably more than a fluctuation: Support for government-run healthcare has absolutely plummeted over the past two years. In 2007, a dispiriting 69% of Americans thought it was the government's role to ensure universal healthcare. Two years later, that number has dropped to 47%. Opposition to government healthcare was an unpopular position in 2007 -- just 28% took that view. Now that number has jumped to 50%.

A follow-up question produced even more dramatic results. When asked which they'd prefer, a new government run healthcare program or the current system, 61% of respondents opted for the status quo, with only 32% wanting something new.
InsideCatholic.com - New Gallup poll: Support for government healthcare plunges

Last edited:

You really do have a right to your opinion on this, but don't try and lie about the numbers that support your fantasy.
by Brian Saint-Paul
11/17/09
Display Full Article/Printer Friendly | Send to a Friend
Bad news for proponents of a government-administered healthcare system: A new Gallup poll finds that a majority of Americans now say it isn't the federal government's responsibility to provide healthcare for Americans.

Gallup has asked this question each November since 2001 as part of the Gallup Poll Social Series, and most recently in its Nov. 5-8 Health and Healthcare survey. There have been some fluctuations from year to year, but this year marks the first time in the history of this trend that less than half of Americans say ensuring healthcare coverage for all is the federal government's responsibility.

I'd say this is considerably more than a fluctuation: Support for government-run healthcare has absolutely plummeted over the past two years. In 2007, a dispiriting 69% of Americans thought it was the government's role to ensure universal healthcare. Two years later, that number has dropped to 47%. Opposition to government healthcare was an unpopular position in 2007 -- just 28% took that view. Now that number has jumped to 50%.

A follow-up question produced even more dramatic results. When asked which they'd prefer, a new government run healthcare program or the current system, 61% of respondents opted for the status quo, with only 32% wanting something new.

So, the public wants nothing to do with the GOP's plethora of ideas on healthcare reform, either?

by Brian Saint-Paul
11/17/09

So, the public wants nothing to do with the GOP's plethora of ideas on healthcare reform, either?

Yes, I think the public just doesn't want the government to get involved in healthcare. Looks like they aren't as stupid as politicians thing they are.

by Brian Saint-Paul
11/17/09

Yes, I think the public just doesn't want the government to get involved in healthcare. Looks like they aren't as stupid as politicians thing they are.

So, are you presuming that Obama won the election WITHOUT his ideas for healthcare reform?

So, are you presuming that Obama won the election WITHOUT his ideas for healthcare reform?

Yes, I'm presuming that Obama won the elction because the republicans wouldn't back a moderate McCain. I'm presuming that after Bush, there would have been no republican that could have won.
I'm presuming that Gore could have beat McCain.
I'm presuming that Kerry could have beat McCain.
I'm presuming that Biden could have beat McCain.
Any questions?

Yes, I'm presuming that Obama won the elction because the republicans wouldn't back a moderate McCain. I'm presuming that after Bush, there would have been no republican that could have won.
Any questions?

I'm presuming that McCain's hard right turn after 2000 and his pandering to the far right with the Palin pick is what cost him any chance of election.

Any questions?

I'm presuming that McCain's hard right turn after 2000 and his pandering to the far right with the Palin pick is what cost him any chance of election.

After Bush, McCain had no chance....period.

Any questions?

After Bush, McCain had no chance....period.

Maybe, maybe not.

Doing his best Bush impression from 2000 through 2008 sure didn't help. Nor did stunts like pandering to the far right by picking Palin and "suspending" his campaign to deal with the economy.

But the John McCain of 2000 - the guy who really would stand up to his party when his convictions differed - stood a much better chance. IMHO.

Last edited:
by Brian Saint-Paul
11/17/09

Stupid is too harsh a word. Most Americans are too lazy to study the issues, many even too lazy to read executive summaries, so they rely on a source to tell them what to think. On the health care debate, the rhetoric has been mostly negative, for reform, for the public option and for universal single payer.
Fear works to influence the American voter, and fear is how reform of the health care industry has been framed by those opposed to reform.
McConnell, Boehner and others in the Republican leadership are opposed to reform and support the status quo. They can't justify the status quo, so they resort to dishonesty in framing the issue.

Stupid is too harsh a word. Most Americans are too lazy to study the issues, many even too lazy to read executive summaries, so they rely on a source to tell them what to think. On the health care debate, the rhetoric has been mostly negative, for reform, for the public option and for universal single payer.
Fear works to influence the American voter, and fear is how reform of the health care industry has been framed by those opposed to reform.
McConnell, Boehner and others in the Republican leadership are opposed to reform and support the status quo. They can't justify the status quo, so they resort to dishonesty in framing the issue.

You forgot to mention the dishonesty on the democrats side, with the healthcare reform, it's a two way street with this puppy.

For some time now the republic party has spent like drunken sailors while in power and then bitch when the Democrats attempt to clean up their mess. This is not by accident.

Last edited:
For some time now the republic party has spent like drunken sailors while in power and then bitch when the Democrats attempt to clean up their mess. This is not by accident.

You really didn't do much thinking when you posted this huh PK? Yes, the republican party did spend too much, way too much. You don't clean up a mess with spending 3 times as much...your just adding on to the mess.
(Boy I'd like to know what he's been smoking)

The facts are , ove 70% of Americans want this health bill
, and those in the Senate` are not pursuing the peoples wishes.

70% of the people want health care REFORM........not the govt running it or offering it.....and i think you need a link saying that they want THIS particular bill......

geezus....so the dems dont spend like drunken sailors?......hello is this thing on.....tap...tap...tap....

The facts are , ove 70% of Americans want this health bill
, and those in the Senate` are not pursuing the peoples wishes.

70% of the people want health care REFORM........not the govt running it or offering it.....and i think you need a link saying that they want THIS particular bill......
I showed him a sight where he showed that he was lying, Harry. I haven't heard back from him, I doubt you will either.

Forum List

Back