Missouri Man Spits on Jane Fonda

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
Ouch!

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A man spit tobacco juice into the face of actress Jane Fonda after waiting in line to have her sign her new book, police said.

AP Photo

The man ran off but was quickly caught by police Tuesday night and charged with disorderly conduct.

Fonda has been on tour and doing interviews to promote her just-published memoir, "My Life So Far." The thrice-married, two-time Academy Award winner covers a wide array of topics, including her 1972 visit to Hanoi to protest the Vietnam War, during which she was photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun. She has apologized for that photo, but not for opposing the war.

Capt. Rich Lockhart of the Kansas City Police Department said that although Fonda did not want to press charges against Michael A. Smith, 54, of Kansas City, he was arrested on a municipal charge of disorderly conduct after off-duty officers caught him just outside Unity Temple, where Fonda was signing books.

Lockhart said Smith was released on bond late Tuesday night and is due to appear in municipal court on May 27.

Smith, a Vietnam veteran, told The Kansas City Star on Wednesday that Fonda was a "traitor" and that her protests against the war were unforgivable. He said he normally does not chew tobacco but did so Tuesday solely to spit juice on the actress.

"I consider it a debt of honor," he told The Star for a story on its Web site, www.kansascity.com. "She spit in our faces for 37 years. It was absolutely worth it. There are a lot of veterans who would love to do what I did."

Link

I'd say thats a bit much. What if he's an HIV carrier or something? Besides, I thought we threw pies at idiot political pundits and actors.

Good for him. Can't say I feel sorry for her at all. She should have been jailed as a traitor during Vietnam with all the s**t she pulled back then.

SmarterThanYou said:
I'd say thats a bit much. What if he's an HIV carrier or something? Besides, I thought we threw pies at idiot political pundits and actors.

The libs do, yes. So if you belong to that crowd.....

A fitting response to a vile woman that laughed while pointing NVA guns in the air simulating shooting down American pilots.

gop_jeff said:
I thought Jane Fonda apologized for her actions during Vietnam? Does no one forgive any more?

You don't think her apology had anything to do with her book?

gop_jeff said:
I thought Jane Fonda apologized for her actions during Vietnam? Does no one forgive any more?

Let's put it this way, just because God would forgive you for murder does it mean that you do not have to commit yourself to the punishment due while here in the body?

While she may be forgiven, it does not mean that she is any less a traitor. Since she never stood before the hand of justice as she should, she must expect some of the contempt and detestation she will receive.

freeandfun1 said:
You don't think her apology had anything to do with her book?

I thought she publicly apologized about a year ago. I could be wrong, though.

But even if the apology was on the heels of her book, would it be any less valid? If she is truly apologetic, why would someone refuse her forgiveness?

gop_jeff said:
I thought she publicly apologized about a year ago. I could be wrong, though.

But even if the apology was on the heels of her book, would it be any less valid? If she is truly apologetic, why would someone refuse her forgiveness?

Once again, forgiveness does not excuse one from justice while here in the body. Since she has not stood before the hand of justice as she should have, some of her Karma will revisit her.

no1tovote4 said:
Let's put it this way, just because God would forgive you for murder does it mean that you do not have to commit yourself to the punishment due while here in the body?

I would expect to receive the consequences of my sins. But God is forgiving, and would not refuse to forgive. As the old saying goes, to err is human, to forgive is divine.

While she may be forgiven, it does not mean that she is any less a traitor. Since she never stood before the hand of justice as she should, she must expect some of the contempt and detestation she will receive.

I agree that some of her actions could be construed as treasonous. I'm not defending her actions. I'm just saying that if she is trying to apologize for the past, and people are still dragging her through the mud, that's not right.

no1tovote4 said:
Once again, forgiveness does not excuse one from justice while here in the body. Since she has not stood before the hand of justice as she should have, some of her Karma will revisit her.

I think this may play on our religious differences, but I believe that forgiveness does excuse one from the just punishment. God forgives our punishment as we repent of our sins; we are called to forgive in the same manner. There's a difference between dealing with the consequences of sin and the just punishment of sin.

Big difference between forgiving someone for what they did and forgetting what they did.

I might be able to forgive, but depending on the offense, I won't forget it.

gop_jeff said:
I thought she publicly apologized about a year ago. I could be wrong, though.?

She might have, I am not sure.

gop_jeff said:
But even if the apology was on the heels of her book, would it be any less valid? If she is truly apologetic, why would someone refuse her forgiveness.

Only she knows if it is valid. I believe those most insulted by her (the Vietnam vets) have a right to decide themselves if they believe her or not. She didn't say she was wrong, she said she made an "error in judgement". Does that mean she still thinks she was right, she just shouldn't of let it be seen on camera or that she really believes what she did was STUPID and that she is very sorry for hurting/insulting the vets?

Only God konws if she is sincere in her heart or not. If you want my take, she did it to sell books. If she is sorry, she should try to make some effort to exhibit her sincere sorry. It is easy to say, "I'm sorry" and not mean it. And if she is sorry, do you think that she shouldn't have to "pay" for the errors of her way?

gop_jeff said:
God is forgiving, and would not refuse to forgive.

God will not refuse to forgive somebody that has shown true repentance for their sins and that has asked in sincerity for forgiveness. She has done neither. If I sin and then say to God, "sorry". That is not enough. I have to ASK for forgiveness as asking for forgiveness exhibits understanding of the sin. She sinned against our vets. She has NEVER asked (that I can find) for their forgiveness. She has just said, "oops, sorry".

freeandfun1 said:
She might have, I am not sure.

Only she knows if it is valid. I believe those most insulted by her (the Vietnam vets) have a right to decide themselves if they believe her or not. She didn't say she was wrong, she said she made an "error in judgement". Does that mean she still thinks she was right, she just shouldn't of let it be seen on camera or that she really believes what she did was STUPID and that she is very sorry for hurting/insulting the vets?

Only God konws if she is sincere in her heart or not. If you want my take, she did it to sell books. If she is sorry, she should try to make some effort to exhibit her sincere sorry. It is easy to say, "I'm sorry" and not mean it. And if she is sorry, do you think that she shouldn't have to "pay" for the errors of her way?

NO different than someone saying, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" and "What is, is?"

They screwed up and got caught.

They are just trying to save their asses.

I intend to out live her so I can piss on her grave. And her buddy bin Kerry too. They won't have to chase me, I'll stand right there to the last drop and walk away.

Of course I expect there will be a line.

Forum List

Back