Yeah! Environmental, Wacko, Caltech Student Terrorist Get's 8 years!

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20050418-1554-ca-suvarson.html

I know this was a rough one for A.P. to print, since they really love those sweet little wackos that are passionately trying to save the earth from us big, bad, wasteful, right-wing fossil fuel wasters.

Anyway..........Yippee!

ASSOCIATED PRESS
3:54 p.m. April 18, 2005

LOS ANGELES – A graduate student was sentenced Monday to more than eight years in prison and ordered to pay millions of dollars in restitution for firebombing scores of sport utility vehicles.

William Jensen Cottrell, 24, was convicted in November of conspiracy to commit arson and seven counts of arson for an August 2003 vandalism spree that damaged and destroyed about 125 SUVs.

Prosecutors estimated the total damage was about $2.3 million.

U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner sentenced Cottrell to 100 months and ordered him to pay $3.5 million in restitution. Cottrell hung his head upon hearing the sentence.

Vandals who targeted dealerships and homes in the San Gabriel Valley east of Los Angeles set the vehicles on fire and used spray-paint to deface them with slogans such as "Fat, Lazy Americans," "polluter," "smog machine" and "ELF," an acronym for the Earth Liberation Front, a radical environmental group.

Cottrell, a doctoral candidate in the physics department at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, was acquitted of using a destructive device – Molotov cocktails – in a crime of violence. That was the most serious charge he faced and it carried a sentence of at least 30 years in prison.

Defense lawyers argued that Cottrell had agreed with two friends to spray-paint vehicles, but was surprised when they began to hurl Molotov cocktails.

Federal prosecutors have identified former Caltech students Tyler Johnson and Michie Oe as "fugitive co-conspirators" in the case. It is believed that both have fled the country.

Prosecutors also alleged that Cottrell tried to minimize his role and place the blame on Johnson and Oe.

Cottrell was arrested in March 2004 after authorities tracked e-mails that Cottrell, using an alias, sent to the Los Angeles Times. He told the newspaper in the e-mails that he was involved in the SUV attacks and affiliated with the Earth Liberation Front.

Klausner in January denied Cottrell's bid for a new trial. Cottrell had claimed the court improperly barred his attorneys from presenting evidence that he suffered from Asperger's syndrome, a type of autism that he claimed made it difficult for him to understand the intentions of the alleged accomplices.

Klausner in January denied Cottrell's bid for a new trial. Cottrell had claimed the court improperly barred his attorneys from presenting evidence that he suffered from Asperger's syndrome, a type of autism that he claimed made it difficult for him to understand the intentions of the alleged accomplices.

WTF?

Hey, I have this autism, so where is my get out of jail/tickets/fines/any other punishment card? I also have leadfoot syndrome, I am incapable of not speeding....

Kind of reminds me of the two thiefs hanging on crosses next to Jesus. One just wanted Jesus to get him out of the predicament, but the other admitted that he deserved his punishment, and rebuked the other one for his act of "denial" and culpability.

Seems like these "do-gooder" folks for humanity and earth that think bio-terrorism is ok, are just living in denial.

Many thought killing 6 million Jews as the "Final Solution" was being humanitarian(doing a favor?) to the German state and the world.

What's a few million dollars worth of SUV's. They're evil machines anyway.......right? We're the Bio-Robin Hoods of the world.

Forum List

Back