Missouri Man Spits on Jane Fonda

Gem said:
Just like I think the people who threw pies and salad dressing at people they disagree with should be charged with fitting crimes, I feel that this man should be charged with a crime.

Just like I understand why someone would be upset enough by a point of view to want to throw a pie, I understand why someone would be furious enough to spit on someone.

I am fully able to admit that I am biased enough to feel that perhaps Jane Fonda is getting a bit of what she dished out in the 60's and 70's...however, I do not support living in a society where one type of assault is ok and one isn't, simply based upon which political party is in power and which person is attacked.

I understand and sympathize with the Vietnam Vet. A small, petty part of me might say, "Good for you." The larger part says, "Now you have assaulted someone, and just like the people who assaulted someone with pies, salad dressing, etc...you have to face whatever punishment our judicial system deems appropriate."

Yep, but nothing our Judicial system can hand out can come close to what the guys in the Hanoi Hilton nor our vets had to deal with due to this bitch!
I have no doubt he'll gladly face the court, quite different than ms. jane.

Last night while talking about this on Hannity and Colmes,one if their frequent guests(his name has slipped my mind) said that while visiting American P.O.W.'s, Fonda was given notes by many of them to pass on. I am guessing they were either describing some kind of toture,or notes to their families-he didn't specify. When Fonda was done visiting,instead of passing the notes along,she gave them to the very people that were holding them captive. He felt that was what she will rot in hell for.Some people (especially the ones who were there) might understandably find this unforgivable.

I think what jeff is saying about forgivness is right,but at the same time,we are human,and I feel like she will ultimately have to answer to God. I myself find her to be atrocious and have no sympathy for what happened to her. I don't think we should necessarily condone attacking people,but if anyone had reason,it was probably this guy. Fonda was a big girl and plenty old enough to think things through at the time and realise what she was doing. She was so wrapped up in herself,that she didn't think about who she was hurting,and for that, she deserved what she got.

gop_jeff said:
I'm not going to quote all the replies that have been made. But please let me respond:

From the news reports I've read, about 1-2 years ago, Jane Fonda had become a born-again Christian and made a more substantial apology than the 1989 quotes that have been posted. Now maybe she's sincere, and maybe she's not. But I think that, at least from a Christian perspective, if someone is apologizing, we should give that person the benefit of the doubt and accept that apology. As Jesus said, "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, 'I repent,' you must forgive him." So I think it's the right thing to do to accept her apologies.

I am going to have to agree here. Course that doesn't mean I have to like the woman. But atleast she has the intellectual honesty to acknowledge what she has done is wrong. Still waiting for John Kerry to say anything he did was wrong.

krisy said:
Last night while talking about this on Hannity and Colmes,one if their frequent guests(his name has slipped my mind) said that while visiting American P.O.W.'s, Fonda was given notes by many of them to pass on. I am guessing they were either describing some kind of toture,or notes to their families-he didn't specify. When Fonda was done visiting,instead of passing the notes along,she gave them to the very people that were holding them captive. He felt that was what she will rot in hell for.Some people (especially the ones who were there) might understandably find this unforgivable.
thats a story that has been partly debunked on snopes.com.
http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp

Sir Evil said:
Don't really matter, there is enough reason for people to be angered with her.

I'm not saying that Jane Fonda is a saint. I'm not trying to excuse her actions. Neither is DK, as far as I can tell. But how much pennance would ever be enough?

Sir Evil said:
Don't really matter, there is enough reason for people to be angered with her.

Very true. I must wonder what it would feel like for her to realize that her efforts to undermine the US position in Vietnam and help assist in pushing for the withdrawl of American troops from South east asia and turning that area over to the communists who systematically killed millions of people who disagreed with them. I dont think id handle all that blood on my hands very well. I would definately understand the desire to want forgiveness. but then id understand people hating me for it if i had done such a thing too.

Sir Evil Wrote:
who am I to decide how much pennance would be enough

I think this is really the heart of the Jane Fonda issue. Who are we, most of whom never served in the military, let alone the Vietnam War, to tell a Vietnam Vet who he should or should not forgive and how long he can be angry for the way he was treated by Americans due to the anti-war movement in this country?

As I said, I think that this Vet should be charged with assault if Ms. Fonda wishes to press charges. However, I do not think that it is my business or anyone else's to tell him, or any other person, to "get over" being angry at her for her past actions. Forgiveness often has a healing effect, and perhaps, it would help this man and others to forgive Fonda for her actions...but no one can force someone to forgive another...

gop_jeff said:
But how much pennance would ever be enough?
LMAO....what penance has she done? I'll tell ya, ZIP, ZERO, NOTTA!!!! That's how much..Her so called apology was just that, a so called apology..check it out , she's not sorry...She is a BITCH! SCUM! SLIM ON THE POND WATER!

Don't get me going, here.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
Gem said:
Sir Evil Wrote:

I think this is really the heart of the Jane Fonda issue. Who are we, most of whom never served in the military, let alone the Vietnam War, to tell a Vietnam Vet who he should or should not forgive and how long he can be angry for the way he was treated by Americans due to the anti-war movement in this country?

As I said, I think that this Vet should be charged with assault if Ms. Fonda wishes to press charges. However, I do not think that it is my business or anyone else's to tell him, or any other person, to "get over" being angry at her for her past actions. Forgiveness often has a healing effect, and perhaps, it would help this man and others to forgive Fonda for her actions...but no one can force someone to forgive another...

I thought he was charged. I agree with the charge, I just don't feel much sympathy for either side.

I think the vet is happy with what he has done and willing to take his punishment. I think that Jane knows of her own controversial character and yet still chose to put herself in a position in which the general public gets to come into position to do such things.

Just a thought:

Comparing Jane Fonda to republicans on the lecture circuit who get pies thrown at them is mild at best. This woman went behind enemy lines and acted in a manner that would and probably did COST LIVES. No republican pundit, Ann included, has ever done anything remotely like this.

Should she have been assualted? Not according to the law. I heard though that at first she did not want to press charges.

I guess a lot of Vets are still bothered by the fact that they got spat on when they came home from duty???

SmarterThanYou said:
thats a story that has been partly debunked on snopes.com.
http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp
The same article ends as follows:

"Whether the war was right or wrong, those who risked (and gave) their lives fighting it deserve respect, and for Fonda to brand men who were held captive and tortured as "liars" and "hypocrites" (despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary) in order to defend her political views was and is unpardonable. (emphasis mine)"

Sir Evil said:
Agreed! But we should feel bad for Fonda? Not me!

Me either, she made her bed. What that guy did was the same thing thousands of other vets would love to have the chance to do to her.

SmarterThanYou said:
so I criticize the hypocritical words of a bunch of christian wannabe's and you get the impression that I'd be thrilled to meet her? The man SPIT in her face and a bunch of you think its wonderful. How would you feel if the vet that spit on her had aids and now she got infected? would that be justice in your eyes? As I said before, some of you self proclaimed christians don't seem to have the first clue what it means to BE christian, much less try to talk about it.

You know, there are times you really piss me off when you rush to judge and trot out some ill-considered opinion such as this one.

In your apparent need to feel morally superior to all us "hypocrites", you gleefully point your finger at those who are still disgusted by Fonda's support for our enemy during a shooting war. Strangely enough, the spitting incident seems to give you cause for worry that poor Jane might contract AIDS. But somehow the fact that actions by the likes of Fonda and Kerry caused additional suffering and death among our troops and POWs seems not to raise so much as a blip on your radar. Why is that? Perhaps when you get to the pinnacle of that moral high ground you're climbing, the view will be a little better and you might get a more complete picture.

A traitor is a traitor - period. Time does not change that. Benedict Arnold was a traitor over two hundred years ago. He remains a traitor today. Have you forgiven him? What about the Rosenbergs or the dozens of other traitors who sold out their country? Do you forgive them? Does time somehow diminish the reprehensibility of their actions?

I don't hate Jane Fonda. Personally, I'd like to put the whole Viet Nam episode behind me. But to get forgiveness, Jane Fonda needs to seek out the ex-POWs, the families of those who died in a captivity lengthened by her actions and she needs to beg the forgiveness of every one of those people. If THEY can forgive her, then I can do no less. But until these people can forgive Jane Fonda, I do not have the right to grant her any personal absolution from me. And also just as much to the point, those who were never directly involved in that war have not and will never earn the right to question or to criticize Viet Nam veterans for the way they feel about Jane Fonda.

Truth is that the spitting incident was grossly embarrassing to me personally and I have not heard any RVN vet support that disgusting display. Had I been there, I would have offered to help clean her up. Yes, I'll treat her as a human being. But I will never forget that she betrayed her country and the armed forces sworn to defend it.

Forum List

Back