Minumum wage?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by JBeukema, Oct 17, 2010.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Should it be mandated and, if so, how should it be determined?

2. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,995
    Even China has a minimum wage. The highest is 142 dollars a month and the lowest 88 dollars a month, depending on the province. The people working in factories live in dorms and their meals are scheduled.

This is why conservatives are so fond of moving jobs there. For all their talk about "rights", it's really all about the "money". For them, it's just fine if we become "China".

The difference is the government there mandates that minimum wage. At any time, that government could nationalize those factories and jobs. Conservatives are betting they won't, but communist regimes have a history of doing what they want. As soon as the leadership changes, who knows what will happen? Use the USSR's "central planning" or China's "Great Leap Forward" as examples of disastrous government mandate.

The government here, despite what conservatives want you to believe, is NOT some shadowy conspiracy of secret cabals who want to steal your guns and rights. OUR government is made up of our neighbors who we elect into office. OUR government is made up of other Americans.

Of course, some of those people are paid off and owned by large corporations. Look at some of the conservatives on USMB. Didn't one start a thread about how we should treat corporations like "royalty"? Do Americans really subscribe to "every man for himself"?

Minimum wage, a path to education. These are a "way out" of poverty. Conservatives simply haven't figured out that a thriving middle class brings much greater value to the country than seeing people as merely cheap factory "equipment". I guess it takes true patriots to see the value of a "strong America". So the minimum wage should be more than just barely survival. The answer is "it has to be enough".

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  3. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,404
    Why should a business owner be forced to pay someone $7/hr to pick dirty dishes up out of a bus tray, and place them in an automated dishwasher that does all the HARDEST work FOR them?

I made $7/hr when I was 15 working at a campground, and I busted my mother fucking ASS for it. Not only was some of my work very hard, but very disgusting as well.

At least I EARNED my $7/hr.

Anyone with working limbs can place dishes into a dishwasher. Without a minimum wage, that job would never command that kind of money.

4. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,404
    Businesses not having to pay unskilled grunts minimum wage for a job that doesn't command it, frees up funds to hire more people, and pay better wages to the ones who've spent tens of thousands of dollars and 4, 6, 8 years on higher education to earn a comfortable wage.

It also should serve to incentivize those grunts to pursue more education and not pigeonhole themselves in that line of work.

Let the high school kids have those jobs while they learn the value of a dollar. There's no reason a grown adult with a family should be washing dishes, or collecting ticket stubs at a movie theater, or cleaning food courts and bathrooms at shopping malls.

5. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    OK, that sounds fair in the US, as long as they get dorms and meals too.

6. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    No.

Do you know how many people in the US make minimum wage? Do you honestly think the 2% of workers that make minimum wage are middle class?

7. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    Haven't we already had several threads on this?
    Anyway, no, it should not be mandated. It should be determined by what the labor market pays.

Liberals think the choice is between jobs at $2/hr and jobs at $8/hr. It isn't. It is between jobs at $8/hr and unemployment.
    Anyone remember back during the mid 2000's when the "minimum wage" was $9.50/hr because that's what pizza delivery places etc had to pay to attract people to work there? What's wrong with that system?

8. Dogsbody

Dogsbody BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Typical Jew comment - let 'em eat cake?

9. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Didn't we try that in the past?