Minumum wage?

Should it be mandated and, if so, how should it be determined?

Even China has a minimum wage. The highest is 142 dollars a month and the lowest 88 dollars a month, depending on the province. The people working in factories live in dorms and their meals are scheduled.

This is why conservatives are so fond of moving jobs there. For all their talk about "rights", it's really all about the "money". For them, it's just fine if we become "China".

The difference is the government there mandates that minimum wage. At any time, that government could nationalize those factories and jobs. Conservatives are betting they won't, but communist regimes have a history of doing what they want. As soon as the leadership changes, who knows what will happen? Use the USSR's "central planning" or China's "Great Leap Forward" as examples of disastrous government mandate.

The government here, despite what conservatives want you to believe, is NOT some shadowy conspiracy of secret cabals who want to steal your guns and rights. OUR government is made up of our neighbors who we elect into office. OUR government is made up of other Americans.

Of course, some of those people are paid off and owned by large corporations. Look at some of the conservatives on USMB. Didn't one start a thread about how we should treat corporations like "royalty"? Do Americans really subscribe to "every man for himself"?

Minimum wage, a path to education. These are a "way out" of poverty. Conservatives simply haven't figured out that a thriving middle class brings much greater value to the country than seeing people as merely cheap factory "equipment". I guess it takes true patriots to see the value of a "strong America". So the minimum wage should be more than just barely survival. The answer is "it has to be enough".

Last edited by a moderator:
Why should a business owner be forced to pay someone $7/hr to pick dirty dishes up out of a bus tray, and place them in an automated dishwasher that does all the HARDEST work FOR them?

I made $7/hr when I was 15 working at a campground, and I busted my mother fucking ASS for it. Not only was some of my work very hard, but very disgusting as well.

At least I EARNED my $7/hr.

Anyone with working limbs can place dishes into a dishwasher. Without a minimum wage, that job would never command that kind of money.

Businesses not having to pay unskilled grunts minimum wage for a job that doesn't command it, frees up funds to hire more people, and pay better wages to the ones who've spent tens of thousands of dollars and 4, 6, 8 years on higher education to earn a comfortable wage.

It also should serve to incentivize those grunts to pursue more education and not pigeonhole themselves in that line of work.

Let the high school kids have those jobs while they learn the value of a dollar. There's no reason a grown adult with a family should be washing dishes, or collecting ticket stubs at a movie theater, or cleaning food courts and bathrooms at shopping malls.

No.

Even China has a minimum wage. The highest is 142 dollars a month and the lowest 88 dollars a month, depending on the province. The people working in factories live in dorms and their meals are scheduled.

This is why conservatives are so fond of moving jobs there. For all their talk about "rights", it's really all about the "money". For them, it's just fine if we become "China".

The difference is the government there mandates that minimum wage. At any time, that government could nationalize those factories and jobs. Conservatives are betting they won't, but communist regimes have a history of doing what they want. As soon as the leadership changes, who knows what will happen? Use the USSR's "central planning" or China's "Great Leap Forward" as examples of disastrous government mandate.

The government here, despite what conservatives want you to believe, is NOT some shadowy conspiracy of secret cabals who want to steal your guns and rights. OUR government is made up of our neighbors who we elect into office. OUR government is made up of other Americans.

Of course, some of those people are paid off and owned by large corporations. Look at some of the conservatives on USMB. Didn't one start a thread about how we should treat corporations like "royalty"? Do Americans really subscribe to "every man for himself"?

Minimum wage, a path to education. These are a "way out" of poverty. Conservatives simply haven't figured out that a thriving middle class brings much greater value to the country than seeing people as merely cheap factory "equipment". I guess it takes true patriots to see the value of a "strong America". So the minimum wage should be more than just barely survival. The answer is "it has to be enough".

Do you know how many people in the US make minimum wage? Do you honestly think the 2% of workers that make minimum wage are middle class?

Haven't we already had several threads on this?
Anyway, no, it should not be mandated. It should be determined by what the labor market pays.

Liberals think the choice is between jobs at $2/hr and jobs at $8/hr. It isn't. It is between jobs at $8/hr and unemployment.
Anyone remember back during the mid 2000's when the "minimum wage" was $9.50/hr because that's what pizza delivery places etc had to pay to attract people to work there? What's wrong with that system?

Haven't we already had several threads on this?
Anyway, no, it should not be mandated. It should be determined by what the labor market pays.

Liberals think the choice is between jobs at $2/hr and jobs at $8/hr. It isn't. It is between jobs at $8/hr and unemployment.
Anyone remember back during the mid 2000's when the "minimum wage" was $9.50/hr because that's what pizza delivery places etc had to pay to attract people to work there? What's wrong with that system?

Typical Jew comment - let 'em eat cake?

There you have it....Gotta keep up with them slimy Chicoms! :rolleyes:

Yes...Because everybody at the bottom of the economic ladder is just dying to live in gubmint housing projects! :rolleyes: :lol:

Is it your contention that it is govts job that they don't? Minimun wage was never mean to live on. It was a first job salary.

The only thing that happens when the wage is forced up by govt decree and not the job market, employees are laid off because the company has a salary budget to adhere to. If only they did not make an evil profit, they would have more jobs available. Minimum Wage Increase and Teen Unemployment - WSJ.com

Even China has a minimum wage. The highest is 142 dollars a month and the lowest 88 dollars a month, .
OK, that sounds fair in the US, as long as they get dorms and meals too.
Yes...Because everybody at the bottom of the economic ladder is just dying to live in gubmint housing projects! :rolleyes: :lol:

actually that sounds exactly like a former growth industry in the US: the prison labor industrial complex.

3 years ago my position on minimum wages was that it should be $10/hour for adults. That would have done wonders for our nation and economy then.

But times have changed. This economy demands that Americans downscale their living standards and expectations. Minimum wage is off the table until we recover, or find a new plateau that is sustainable. Which may take 20 years.

I live several places in Latin America. It is determined by the cost of a basket of "staples" at a grocery store.Beans, rice, diapers, meat, cleaning goods. Everyday necessity schtuffz.
It is done twice a year.This year has been about 10%, average.Last year was 6%

I see you assholes allowed a NO pay MO money to the retirees on SS. No COLA adjustment:confused: till 2012
Brilliant.
Send granny a bag of Doritoz and don't forget to sing the anthem.

OK, that sounds fair in the US, as long as they get dorms and meals too.

actually that sounds exactly like a former growth industry in the US: the prison labor industrial complex.

3 years ago my position on minimum wages was that it should be $10/hour for adults. That would have done wonders for our nation and economy then.

But times have changed. This economy demands that Americans downscale their living standards and expectations. Minimum wage is off the table until we recover, or find a new plateau that is sustainable. Which may take 20 years.
That's mighty white of you. :rolleyes:

That's mighty white of you. :rolleyes:

and you don't even reward me with a "Thankx"? Was your mother stingy too?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back