Military divorce rate at highest level since 1999

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Can't say I'm surprised to see this.

r-MILITARY-large570.jpg

The military divorce rate reached its highest level since 1999, as nearly 30,000 marriages ended in fiscal 2011, raising the prospect that troop withdrawals may lead to more divorce, according to interviews and Pentagon data released Tuesday.

"As the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan draw down, we're going to put more families together who haven't been used to being together," says Chaplain Carleton Birch, a spokesman for the Army Office of the Chief of Chaplains.

The overall military divorce rate of 3.7% this year edged out the most recent U.S. civilian rate recorded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2009 of 3.5%, which has been in decline since 2000.

The Army divorce rate of 3.7% and the Navy's 3.6% are the highest for either service since 2004.

The Air Force rate of 3.9% is the highest in more than two decades. Nearly 5% of marriages among Air Force enlisted personnel ended in divorce this year.

Military divorce rate reaches new high

My cousin is married to a Marine fighter pilot and lately she's been posting about how wonderful her husband is and how blessed she is! I figger somethings up.

Another friend (who is not in the military) of ours posted the same kinds of stuff, right before she announced she was pregnant from another guy.

I'd be interested in the demographics - specifically, the ages of these people getting divorced. It's usually the young, first-time deployed ones whose spouses can't handle the long-term seperations.

r-MILITARY-large570.jpg

The military divorce rate reached its highest level since 1999, as nearly 30,000 marriages ended in fiscal 2011, raising the prospect that troop withdrawals may lead to more divorce, according to interviews and Pentagon data released Tuesday.

"As the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan draw down, we're going to put more families together who haven't been used to being together," says Chaplain Carleton Birch, a spokesman for the Army Office of the Chief of Chaplains.

The overall military divorce rate of 3.7% this year edged out the most recent U.S. civilian rate recorded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2009 of 3.5%, which has been in decline since 2000.

The Army divorce rate of 3.7% and the Navy's 3.6% are the highest for either service since 2004.

The Air Force rate of 3.9% is the highest in more than two decades. Nearly 5% of marriages among Air Force enlisted personnel ended in divorce this year.

I am Jack's lack of surprise.

Suicide rates are awful these days too.

r-MILITARY-large570.jpg

The suicide and divorce rates are through the roof right now, hopefully these things start to get better as we start drawing down in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'd be interested in the demographics - specifically, the ages of these people getting divorced. It's usually the young, first-time deployed ones whose spouses can't handle the long-term seperations.

I'm guessing it would be the younger troops as well, although on my last deployment to Kuwait before I separated we had a Technical Sgt (E-6) divorce his wife right after he got back stateside from the deployment.

r-MILITARY-large570.jpg

The suicide and divorce rates are through the roof right now, hopefully these things start to get better as we start drawing down in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I hope so.

Can't do much about the dumbasses getting married and having a kid with someone they've known for eight and a half minutes tho.

My cousin is married to a Marine fighter pilot and lately she's been posting about how wonderful her husband is and how blessed she is! I figger somethings up.

Another friend (who is not in the military) of ours posted the same kinds of stuff, right before she announced she was pregnant from another guy.

I know from experience the folks who go on and on about how perfect their marriage is and how things are peaches and cream are usually not being honest and there are alot more problems than they are letting on to, and the amount of women that get pregnant with babies that are not their husbands is pretty high in the service too, I personally know 3 women that got pregnant from other men that were not their husbands, one of them got divorced behind that and the others kept the child and worked through it.

I hope so.

Can't do much about the dumbasses getting married and having a kid with someone they've known for eight and a half minutes tho.

Marriage is encouraged in the Military and it looks good for your career down the line, the higher ups kind of question you if you have a child with a woman and can't even commit to that, how are you supposed to commit to the Military and go above and beyond? thats been my experience with it, my chain of command frowned upon me living with an ex girlfriend out at Vandenberg.

I think that being married to a military guy would be an awful lot like being married to a cop or firefighter...stressful.

Deployments are hard. I'm getting married to a Navy officer in 2 months, he's a reservist working on his Ph.D. and he usually goes TDY for the entire summer (or at least, he has for the last 3 summers that we've been together). I hate it when he's gone, but you get used to it. I can see that if I were younger or less self-sufficient, though, it would be a lot more difficult.

I think that being married to a military guy would be an awful lot like being married to a cop or firefighter...stressful.

Deployments are hard. I'm getting married to a Navy officer in 2 months, he's a reservist working on his Ph.D. and he usually goes TDY for the entire summer (or at least, he has for the last 3 summers that we've been together). I hate it when he's gone, but you get used to it. I can see that if I were younger or less self-sufficient, though, it would be a lot more difficult.

Actually Catz I think being married to a Military person is harder than being married to a cop or fire fighter, no disrespect towards the police and fire department but the Military is a different beast, you can be gone months on end in the Military for training and than be sent on a year long deployment to Afghanistan or somewhere, sometimes with little to no warning. Also, remember you can quit the police or fire department at any time, you cannot quit in the Military unless your date of separation is coming up or you get out early somehow.

Actually Catz I think being married to a Military person is harder than being married to a cop or fire fighter, no disrespect towards the police and fire department but the Military is a different beast, you can be gone months on end in the Military for training and than be sent on a year long deployment to Afghanistan or somewhere, sometimes with little to no warning. Also, remember you can quit the police or fire department at any time, you cannot quit in the Military unless your date of separation is coming up or you get out early somehow.
It may well be, but there are difficulties with all three (cops have pretty high divorce rates, as well).

Women in general just aren't the same quality that they used to be. Now they are like give me give me give me but don't want to hold the house down while we deploy. Then As is the case for many of my fellow soldiers we get resentment from our significant other because we aren't with them. It's hard out here for a pimp!

Women in general just aren't the same quality that they used to be. Now they are like give me give me give me but don't want to hold the house down while we deploy. Then As is the case for many of my fellow soldiers we get resentment from our significant other because we aren't with them. It's hard out here for a pimp!

I think women are saying the exact same thing about us bro.

I'm guessing it would be the younger troops as well, although on my last deployment to Kuwait before I separated we had a Technical Sgt (E-6) divorce his wife right after he got back stateside from the deployment.

I remember our recruiter STRONGLY discouraging us from getting married before leaving for boot camp. I also remember by week two a bunch of guys crying after getting the dear John letter. It makes sense that the divorce rate would go up with continuous war time deployment and the stress that go's with it.

I remember our recruiter STRONGLY discouraging us from getting married before leaving for boot camp. I also remember by week two a bunch of guys crying after getting the dear John letter. It makes sense that the divorce rate would go up with continuous war time deployment and the stress that go's with it.

I wouldn't recommend marriage to anyone in their 20's, ESPECIALLY if they are in the Military, you will never be in 1 place long enough to have a good marriage or relationship, its no coincidence most of the "lifers" I know that have been in the Military more than 10 years are still single or divorced. I think if the person you are married to is in the Military it MIGHT Help some, because they will know and understand the pressures are you are going through, for a civilian its hard to understand and can be quite overwhelming.

And now that the troops are back?

We can expect a spike in divorce rates for military personnel in 2012.

Why?

First of all because you cannot divorce a person in the military if they won't sign onto it. (I'm assuming that is still true in most states, of course, haven't checked)

Secondly because the changes in the guys coming back are going to be hard on a lot of wives and husbands, too.

It may well be, but there are difficulties with all three (cops have pretty high divorce rates, as well).

One thing I forgot to mention Catz is constant moving Military families go through, moving somewhere every 4-5 years or less and starting over can take a toll on a young family, leaving behind friends, family and your comfort zone to start over can be very, very hard and too much for alot of people to deal with, that is something the families of cops and fire fighters don't have to worry about, you can work for the Chicago fire department or police department for 30 years for example, you really can't be at 1 place for too long in the service.

And now that the troops are back?

We can expect a spike in divorce rates for military personnel in 2012.

Why?

First of all because you cannot divorce a person in the military if they won't sign onto it. (I'm assuming that is still true in most states, of course, haven't checked)

Secondly because the changes in the guys coming back are going to be hard on a lot of wives and husbands, too.

Hmm you sure about that? I never heard that before.

One thing I forgot to mention Catz is constant moving Military families go through, moving somewhere every 4-5 years or less and starting over can take a toll on a young family, leaving behind friends, family and your comfort zone to start over can be very, very hard and too much for alot of people to deal with, that is something the families of cops and fire fighters don't have to worry about, you can work for the Chicago fire department or police department for 30 years for example, you really can't be at 1 place for too long in the service.

Or just being alone and all that go's with that. Cops do have it as tough, as well as fire fighters, but in a different way. Neither is an easy life for a married couple.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back