Middle East Tensions

The Iranian government will probably use this as an excuse to crack down on anti-government people in the country.

The Iranian government will probably use this as an excuse to crack down on anti-government people in the country.

I can see that happening. I can also see them placing blame on Israel or another notable enemy and using that to justify a military attack. The U.S. went to war with two countries after an attack on our homeland. I can see them (Iran) using this to back up a military operation.

Certainly if more attacks occur.

I can see that happening. I can also see them placing blame on Israel or another notable enemy and using that to justify a military attack. The U.S. went to war with two countries after an attack on our homeland. I can see them (Iran) using this to back up a military operation.

Won't be a military operation, their military sucks. It'll be an operation from the Quds Force or one of their terrorist groups.

Certainly if more attacks occur.

I'm not quite sure they would mount an attack on Israel (you never know though), but it could certainly be used to justify the anti-jewish nationalism in Iran.

The bad thing about that comparison though, is that the U.S. on average was attacked by terrorists about 2 to 3 times a year since 1983, and really never mounted any large scale military attack based on that event. I'm fairly positive that the U.S. invasion/operations in Afghanistan was the first large scale mobilization of troops based on a single terrorist attack, even though we'd been attacked for about 20 years. I could be wrong, but I think it's the first.

I'm not quite sure they would mount an attack on Israel (you never know though), but it could certainly be used to justify the anti-jewish nationalism in Iran.

The bad thing about that comparison though, is that the U.S. on average was attacked by terrorists about 2 to 3 times a year since 1983, and really never mounted any large scale military attack based on that event. I'm fairly positive that the U.S. invasion/operations in Afghanistan was the first large scale mobilization of troops based on a single terrorist attack, even though we'd been attacked for about 20 years. I could be wrong, but I think it's the first.

That is a good point, but it's a bit different having a terrorist attack against the U.S. on foreign soil compared to our homeland. Besides Pearl Harbor (We know how that ended), the pipe bomb during the Atlanta Olympics (Never linked to foriegn terrorism), the first WTC bombings, and the infamous 9/11 attack; the U.S. has not experienced a whole lot on our soil.

Attacks in Iran are stretched pretty thin even though they're most likely religious acts. The problem with this is the tensions that have already been stirring are only going to be fueled by this event. Iran just recently "taunted" a U.S. navy vessal (although denied by Iranian officials), is said to be only a year or two away from nuclear arms, and is working extensively on creating both biological as well as chemical agents (with the help from russia).

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iran/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/04/12/iran.us/index.html?iref=24hours

http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/chronology.html

Forum List

Back