Mid-term elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jreeves, Aug 23, 2009.

1. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    I have no faith in the current crop of Republicans. I'm still expecting Juan McCain at any moment to get in front of a microphone and say that Obama is a great guy and doing a wonderful job.

Do I really want them in charge?

3. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,933
    "Generic" polling means nothing. And neither do "trends". Corzine will lose in New Jersey - and Deeds will probably lose as well. But unless you can find polling for any Congressmembers who are facing a real challenge, this is all meaningless. We're a year away from the midterms - trends mean nothing this far out.

4. Bill O'Olberman

Bill O'Olberman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Yeah, Virginia's gubernatorial race shouldnt really be used to judge the Republican's future especially in national politics. Because Warner is going to be in the Senate as long as he wants, no Republican will come close, and Webb can be gotten to its just depends on who the Republicans run and how well they campaign.

Republicans should pick up a couple of seats in 2010 unless a magical economic boom occurs or some kind of super-mega democratic success. Of course, dont be too optimistic GOP. In 2012 I just hope the Repubicans run a presidential candidate who is more of a libertarian than one who is of the evangalical/religious right brand of conservatism. I mean having to throw my vote behind candidates, Badnarik in 2004 and Barr in 2008, who had no real chance of winning kinda sucked but hey, the lp is the party of principle.

5. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,933
    I'm pretty sure that the GOP will pick up a seat or 2 in 2010, but nothing that substantial, and as for 2012, I wouldn't get my hopes up about a libertarian-type nominee from the GOP. As for throwing your vote behind candidates with no chance of winning - I live in NY, so I can vote however I want, the state is gonna go blue. I used to vote straight down the Marijuana Reform Party line, until they lost their ballot line in NY back in 2004.

6. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    When this polling comes to fruition it will be a sad awakening for the Dems. People are fed up with this Congress, its also pretty apparent at the Town Halls that have been held around the country.

7. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,404
    The people are not fed up with Congress, they are fed with the far right wing of the GOP. That's why the Republicans lost last year and are going to lose next year. Until the Palins et al are banished, the GOP remains a definite minority for a long, long time.

8. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Yep that's the reason that generic Rep. are polling 5 points above Dems. :cuckoo:

9. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,933
    We'll just have to see in 2010. But, as I said before, no one who knows anything about how politics works puts any weight on "generic" polling a year before the election.

10. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    It is still early, I was only pointing out the trends. This isn't even counting Obama's colossal drop in his approval rating...:eusa_eh: