Microwave Oven Input

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
So on Sunday our 8 year old over the range microwave made a really REALLY loud popping sound then just a humming type sound. I think the thing that makes it hot (magnetron?) is busted.

Am looking for a replacement and am finding that the selection in stores is limited. Grrrr. Just looking for some input on what you have/like/experience.

Thx.

we have a kenmore that's been reliable

you can get a replacement magnetron here

Microwave Oven Parts - Kenmore - GE - Whirlpool

What model Kenmore? I was looking at some and they seem to have pretty good ratings. Most important feature ... does it have audible signal elimination or at least a volume control on the beep? Drives me nuts to hear that thing.

I talked to a repair guy today. He said in all likelihood it was the magnetron (that sounds like a monster that Godzilla would fight lol) and since our mw is only a couple hundred bucks kind and 8 years old it probably wouldn't be worth fixing, cost-wise.

What model Kenmore? I was looking at some and they seem to have pretty good ratings. Most important feature ... does it have audible signal elimination or at least a volume control on the beep? Drives me nuts to hear that thing.

I talked to a repair guy today. He said in all likelihood it was the magnetron (that sounds like a monster that Godzilla would fight lol) and since our mw is only a couple hundred bucks kind and 8 years old it probably wouldn't be worth fixing, cost-wise.

i can check when i get home, but, yeah, the part goes for about $80-90 and probably that much to get the guy there to fix it, so he gave you good advice.

My advice is not to replace it, and learn to boil water on the stove.

True, it might take a while, but I'm certain you'll appreciate the sence of accomplishment.

So on Sunday our 8 year old over the range microwave made a really REALLY loud popping sound then just a humming type sound. I think the thing that makes it hot (magnetron?) is busted.

Am looking for a replacement and am finding that the selection in stores is limited. Grrrr. Just looking for some input on what you have/like/experience.

Thx.

I once put minute rice in a microwave and went back in time.
Steven Wright

i can check when i get home, but, yeah, the part goes for about $80-90 and probably that much to get the guy there to fix it, so he gave you good advice.

you're posting from work? you cad!!!!!!!

It would never occur to me to replace a part in my microwave.

Get a new one.

On the other hand, I've ruined two by putting corndogs in for 100 minutes instead of 1 minute.

theres a megatron here for $20 bucks..

Megatron_TRotF.jpg

;)

My advice is not to replace it, and learn to boil water on the stove.

True, it might take a while, but I'm certain you'll appreciate the sence of accomplishment.

You know what? I was surprised that I've missed it this week because I didn't' think I used it all that much ... and I don't. It's the heating up the coffee or dinner type things is when I'm like 'oh, okay here's when I use it'. lol

Does anyone actually 'cook' using a mw? I never have.

You can cook apples in it...I made some killer ones once....core the apples, fill the cavity with sugar, cinnamon, top with a pat of butter, and zap them for about 10 minutes (I think I had 4 in a bowl) oh yum.

Yes...blow up ravioli...

I've also caught cookies and brownies on fire when heating them. And blown up tea bags when I didn't make sure they were submerged in water.

Oh, and I caught a jar of peanut butter on fire once. That was exciting.

Thx.

You probably need a new 8 year old.

Meanwhile in other news you can buy a brand new "state of the art" microwave for 75 bucks...

You can cook apples in it...I made some killer ones once....core the apples, fill the cavity with sugar, cinnamon, top with a pat of butter, and zap them for about 10 minutes (I think I had 4 in a bowl) oh yum.

If I zapped an apple in my microwave for 10 minutes something bad would happen. :lol:

I'm quite sure the fucking thing would blow up.

Then I would have apple sauce...

"Hey kids, uncle Nick came up with a new game - it's called lick the microwave clean" :lol:

Seriously tho - if you nuked an apple in my microwave for 10 minutes it would explode.

Maybe it was 5...

But there were multiple apples, and they were cored, so explosion isn't quite so likely...and the apples were all touching, to keep them from rolling over in the bowl.

Maybe it was five minutes, though...you should try it.

Maybe it was 5...

But there were multiple apples, and they were cored, so explosion isn't quite so likely...and the apples were all touching, to keep them from rolling over in the bowl.

Maybe it was five minutes, though...you should try it.

I was just talking to my friend about it.... He's downstairs and I was like: "do we have any apples" :lol:

I explained why and he was like "that sound tasty" :lol:

I was like: "if we do this and the apple explodes you're cleaning up the mess" - he agreed :lol:

Oh we're going to try it..... I think cutting out the core is a good idea. My buddy thought peeling them was a good idea too.

We're going to try it....

Thanx for the recipe.

boil water, melt butter, blow up ravioli, reheat anything, thaw stuff,

This is what we use it for too. Other than maybe scrambled eggs - but I usually do an omelet in a pan on the range for them anyway - it's more for quick stuff, rather than actual cooking.

Forum List

Back