Microwave Oven Input

What model Kenmore? I was looking at some and they seem to have pretty good ratings. Most important feature ... does it have audible signal elimination or at least a volume control on the beep? Drives me nuts to hear that thing.

I talked to a repair guy today. He said in all likelihood it was the magnetron (that sounds like a monster that Godzilla would fight lol) and since our mw is only a couple hundred bucks kind and 8 years old it probably wouldn't be worth fixing, cost-wise.

i can check when i get home, but, yeah, the part goes for about $80-90 and probably that much to get the guy there to fix it, so he gave you good advice.

Meanwhile in other news you can buy a brand new "state of the art" microwave for 75 bucks...

You can get a small counter-top mw for that but it will likely be a shit machine. Bought my kid one for her freshman year at college - it had to be 750 watts or less - it didn't even last the year. Started coming on by itself after only a few months of not a whole lot of use.

I did pick up a small (not tiny though) Sharp counter top one and it's just ok. I thought that getting a counter top one then replacing the over-the-range one with just a range hood would be the easier/cheaper option. Uh, no. Every range hood I'm seeing is running in the $130 and up range and they're all hard-wired. We had that changed over to a plug when we bought the mw 8 years ago, not paying to have it switched back so returning the counter-top one and just replacing the over-the-range one.

This whole thing is sucking up waaaaay too much of my time. Problem is that there isn't a lot of choice in the stores. There's a local appliance store I'm heading to later today and if that's a bust then Sears tomorrow (of course they closed the Sears down that was 10 min from me. :rolleyes:) and if that's a bust then Amazon. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Maybe it was 5...

But there were multiple apples, and they were cored, so explosion isn't quite so likely...and the apples were all touching, to keep them from rolling over in the bowl.

Maybe it was five minutes, though...you should try it.

I was just talking to my friend about it.... He's downstairs and I was like: "do we have any apples" :lol:

I explained why and he was like "that sound tasty" :lol:

I was like: "if we do this and the apple explodes you're cleaning up the mess" - he agreed :lol:

Oh we're going to try it..... I think cutting out the core is a good idea. My buddy thought peeling them was a good idea too.

We're going to try it....

Thanx for the recipe.

No, if you peel it, you'll end up with a piece of leather. The skin acts as a sort of bowl, and allows the juice to help cook the meat.

Make sure you use a bowl because otherwise you're going to have apple and sugar juice all over the microwave! Good luck!

Does anyone actually 'cook' using a mw?

Not since the iPhone came out with that app. You put a bite of food in your mouth, hold your iPhone to your head, and it cooks the food while you chew it! A real time saver.

AND you can make a phone call at the same time!

So on Sunday our 8 year old over the range microwave made a really REALLY loud popping sound then just a humming type sound. I think the thing that makes it hot (magnetron?) is busted.

Am looking for a replacement and am finding that the selection in stores is limited. Grrrr. Just looking for some input on what you have/like/experience.

Thx.

Time for a new one.....

All i do with my microwave is melt butter and warm up leftovers. So for me all i really look for is something that fits the space and looks good.

So on Sunday our 8 year old over the range microwave made a really REALLY loud popping sound then just a humming type sound. I think the thing that makes it hot (magnetron?) is busted.

Am looking for a replacement and am finding that the selection in stores is limited. Grrrr. Just looking for some input on what you have/like/experience.

Thx.

Time for a new one.....

All i do with my microwave is melt butter and warm up leftovers. So for me all i really look for is something that fits the space and looks good.

Yup, same here.

I've made a decision. Going with the Sharp R1406, which is basically the newer model of what we have now. Am hoping that the mounting bracket is the same as what we have so all we have to do is take out the old and put in the new.

Local appliance place up the road can order it, no stores carry Sharp mw anymore. I'd rather give my business to the local folks anyway.

Best feature of this mw (and our current one)? Audible. Signal. Elimination.

Forum List

Back