Microsoft's New Commercial

KittenKoder

Sep 21, 2008
Nowhere
I think they are starting to get desperate. It's cute, but just not enough. Still, better than that stupid 'Mojave' one.

I think they are starting to get desperate. It's cute, but just not enough. Still, better than that stupid 'Mojave' one.

I think it's interesting that it's centered on the PC and they just assume every single one is gonna use Windows.

I think it's quite a bitchslap to those pretentious mac commercials. made into a stereotype indeed. The majority of pcs DO use an MS OS. VIVA LA PC!

*smirks* Not to mention PC doesn't mean Windoze. I run Linux/Ubuntu on a PC, Intell CPU, Dell brand. I never liked the Mac commercials only because they kept using that term, now I am just sick of both Microsoft and Apple for almost the same reason. But the commercial is cooler than the Mac ones by far.

Ubuntu users are a stark minority, eh?

Not really, about the average now, but quickly growing. The GUI is a LOT like windows, only better and with the more secure Linux OS. You may want to check it out yourself, completely free for all, they even send you a CD for free. I love it, most of the Linux stuff can be automated, the hardest part of installation is setting up the partition but it will walk you through it. Also, they support it better than Microsoft supports Windoze.

I think it's quite a bitchslap to those pretentious mac commercials. made into a stereotype indeed. The majority of pcs DO use an MS OS. VIVA LA PC!

When I was deciding on a new gaming machine last year, a friend presented the following parody of those commercials:

*Mac walks up to PC*

Mac: Hey, PC, whatcha doin'?

PC: Playin' a game.

Mac: Which one?

PC: ALL OF THEM.

When I was deciding on a new gaming machine last year, a friend presented the following parody of those commercials:

*Mac walks up to PC*
Mac: Hey, PC, whatcha doin'?
PC: Playin' a game.
Mac: Which one?
PC: ALL OF THEM.

hehehe.. NICE. Heres one..

Mac: Hey pc, whatcha doing buddy?
PC: I've got a term paper due and so I'm using MS Office to type it out.
Mac: Really? Macs can use MS Office now too!
PC: Finally? *shrugs* Who gives a fuck?

Both good, I like em. However, there is something Windoze has that all of them have now, Open Office. Everything MS Office has and more. As for the games one, that joke is true to a fault. Most games are written for Windoze because people have been using it for so long. If they hadn't started fucking it all up with XP ... now Vista ... the I would still be a Windoze fan. But, that's what happens when Bill decides he no longer cares about the company, he got too rich (he earned it by being good with business) but now he just doesn't care about the company and hasn't since 2000. Oh well. There are a lot of new games coming out in Java (YAY!) so even Ubuntu can run them. Also a lot of coders are porting out some old MS games to Linux while they make the switch (easier than I thought it would be).

Not really, about the average now, but quickly growing. The GUI is a LOT like windows, only better and with the more secure Linux OS. You may want to check it out yourself, completely free for all, they even send you a CD for free. I love it, most of the Linux stuff can be automated, the hardest part of installation is setting up the partition but it will walk you through it. Also, they support it better than Microsoft supports Windoze.

Not forgetting you can get or download a Live CD and you don't have to install, just run it from that and see how it goes - I mean people can evaluate it on their own machine without disturbing their original os and see how it runs on their specs.

Well there are at least two in this thread so things are looking up :D

Walk into any crowded tech store and mention Ubuntu, at least one person will perk up and strike up a conversation about it now. I have also gotten a few more people to join up as well recently. It's more than an OS, it's a lifestyle now. *smirk*

Also, I love why they call it Ubuntu, it fits. Bringing the whole world together. *blinks* Okay, now I am making it sound like a cult ... so I will digress.

The thing is... Apple computers are not made so that the general end user can go to the local bestbuy and throw in any kind of hardware they can buy. Sure, a mac OS SHOULD be more stable when the potential variations of hardware is limited to how it came out of the box. How many people do you know that can put together their own PCs? How many for macs? Don't you think this broad variation might just impact the application of an MS OS? If macs were a better product rather than an overpriced gimmick then more people would buy them.

thats because it is a cult.. and the rest of the people in that tech store will be buying PC products... assuming it's not a mac store.

thats because it is a cult.. and the rest of the people in that tech store will be buying PC products... assuming it's not a mac store.

*rae* Ubuntu is nothing about Mac ... though it might be able to run on it. It's Linux Kernel with three (maybe more) GUI libraries wrapped around it. Like how Windoze use to be wrapped around MS-DOS (before they fucked up and made the GUI and OS in one like Mac). Ubuntu is still pretty new, Linux though is tried and true. Also, a bit of a bragging point for Ubuntu, at the last security convention in Mexico, not one hacker was able to hack Ubuntu, while Windoze was easily cracked and Mac OS was almost as easily hacked. Ubuntu has the security Linux is famous for, so it makes it the best option for Linux GUIs. It has the same look and feel as Windoze and Mac, making the point and click parts easy to use. Though you can use command line (great for us programmers) without decreasing the security level.

*rae* Ubuntu is nothing about Mac ... though it might be able to run on it. It's Linux Kernel with three (maybe more) GUI libraries wrapped around it. Like how Windoze use to be wrapped around MS-DOS (before they fucked up and made the GUI and OS in one like Mac). Ubuntu is still pretty new, Linux though is tried and true. Also, a bit of a bragging point for Ubuntu, at the last security convention in Mexico, not one hacker was able to hack Ubuntu, while Windoze was easily cracked and Mac OS was almost as easily hacked. Ubuntu has the security Linux is famous for, so it makes it the best option for Linux GUIs. It has the same look and feel as Windoze and Mac, making the point and click parts easy to use. Though you can use command line (great for us programmers) without decreasing the security level.

um.. i didn't suggest it was.. Just clarifying that everyone else in the tech store would be buying PC products for windows machines unless the particular tech store was a mac store.. forgive me for being unclear. Speaking of Linux.. How uh, popular has that platform become from red hat on? I predict the same thing for Ubuntu. Most end users don't need, or even understand, security levels. It's like talking about boring a larger hole into a fuel line for greater horse power to a guy who just wants a car to drive around town.

um.. i didn't suggest it was.. Just clarifying that everyone else in the tech store would be buying PC products for windows machines unless the particular tech store was a mac store.. forgive me for being unclear. Speaking of Linux.. How uh, popular has that platform become from red hat on? I predict the same thing for Ubuntu. Most end users don't need, or even understand, security levels. It's like talking about boring a larger hole into a fuel line for greater horse power to a guy who just wants a car to drive around town.

Ubuntu is user friendly. Linux itself keeps improving, but it's only an OS, Ubuntu is the GUI for it that many find nice. It's good for both the typical users and programmers, allowing the power and awesomeness that is Linux with the ease and comfort that Windoze made popular. It's community supported world wide with REALLY good support. The best thing is to test drive it, they even have a Windoze installer so you can run it inside Windoze without switching to Linux completely. Or if you know how you can set up a dual boot and try it out as Linux. They have the Desktop and Server editions, unless you know Linux well already go with the Desktop, everything is automated. The Server edition has only minimal GUI but does include the Synaptic package. Synaptic is AWESOME! All the software you will ever need in one list, searchable, and completely automated installs. With the desktop version you have an 'Add and Remove' programs, which actually goes online to find all the main programs for you so you can choose from them as well. Almost all PC hardware is supported and as they get access to the drivers they keep adding more. Microsoft had to recently start buying rights to some of the brands trying to keep them only MS compatible, but us coders are a little more resourceful than they give us credit for. *smirk*

I hear what you are saying.. but, again.. how low did red hat plateau before it was on to the next attempt to challenge the king of the hill? MS has it's problems.. And i'm sure you have features that you really enjoy... but shop talk doesn't go far with end users and people enjoy the compatibility that Windows provides.

I hear what you are saying.. but, again.. how low did red hat plateau before it was on to the next attempt to challenge the king of the hill? MS has it's problems.. And i'm sure you have features that you really enjoy... but shop talk doesn't go far with end users and people enjoy the compatibility that Windows provides.

Ewww .. hate to break it to you, Windoze is losing compatibility, and MS has plans for getting rid of it completely. Pretty soon you will have to update ALL your software with each new OS, and already they are behind the times. Java runs slow as hell (the best cross-platform option) and Windozes often just doesn't like it. Sun keeps trying to keep up with all Windoze changes but MS is trying to slow them down now, since the release of Open Office MS has been running scared. Also, for hardware, Linux has better support there now. Ubuntu uses the Linux-Generic Kernel, basically that means it's smaller. Red Hat is almost exclusively web server now. As I said, being a programmer I still don't understand what you are asking for because to me it's all code. Performance is more important, but it is just as easy (if not easier) than any Windoze when usiing Ubuntu. I could take a snapshot of my desktop to show you what it looks like but I don't think that will help. Go to the Ubuntu website, download Wubi (it runs Ubuntu inside Windoze) so you can see it for yourself without committing to it.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/wubi.exe is the direct link to Wubi. Standard Windoze install. As for the linux part, with Ubuntu it's almost bullet proof (I only say almost because it's still new and someone might figure out how to crack is some day like all OS's and Gui's get cracked). In case you don't know, the GUI is all the windows and buttons you see when you use Windoze.

Forum List

Back