@*(&^&^% Microsoft!!!!!

??
Well sorry to burst your bubble but it was absolutely a virus. A virus that infected his Windows 8.*...and after I downloaded and installed Windows 10...within a few minutes it was obvious it was still infected. Windows Defender was disabled and made an administrative group setting that prevented me from restarting it. I then downloaded Avast!...did a full scan and it deleted/quarantined 100's of files. Spybot Search and Destroy, after I installed it and ran a full scan, found 100's of traces of malware - but the "fix now" button was grayed out. I couldn't do anything. So I installed Adaware...it wouldn't even launch. The control panel would not launch.
After doing research on the name f the virus, more than one site reported the virus as "extremely hard to remove".
So..whalaa - I have a new computer running Mint that is doing perfect!

Rootkits and Browser exploits are common, but self-replicating code, an actual virus is rare. Linux is no less vulnerable than Longhorn based Windows machines.
Somehow you attributed that to me....... Twasn't me who posted it........

Games, talking about games especially the high graphics ones. I know the games I already have (via Steam) will play on Xbox, don't know if they will play on PS4 without having to repurchase them.

I hear about this alot. Can you give me a break down on why people are going nuts for steam? Sounds like you can buy one and play on different systems...that cool, I guess...but I dont get the hype. Then again, I'm just some guy with limited comp knowledge so
Sorry, I made a mistake, I was wrong about the XBox and Steam mix. I misinterpreted some professional articles online.

dsa
Steam really has helped in the piracy area. I used to get my games 'creatively' a while back. It never really was because of the money but rather because you ended up with a BETTER product AND it was easier to pirate a game rather than buy it. The insane days of gaming.

Now, it is simple to purchase and install games and you no longer get a worse product for purchasing it. There is no reason to pirate so most do not anymore. The answer never was DRM, it was always to make it better to buy the product rather than pirating it.

Well stated.

I think most people would rather buy games legally, but the nasty DRM screwed the legitimate consumer. Steam saved PC gaming.
They would.

I currently have the same problem with movies. I really cant find what I am looking for at a reasonable price - the movie industry simply refuses to offer it. If they continue to do so, piracy will tear them apart as well. People are going to get the desired product if the movie studios offer it or not. Good digital media is almost impossible to find and they are still asking to damn much for it.

Okay, M$ just pissed me off again........ It updated my desktop earlier today, suddenly I had to actually login as opposed to the auto login I had setup. Then I went back to it a couple of hours later and when it woke up the was some picture on the screen with M$ asking if I liked it or not. Finally I noticed MS had replaced Startisback with the Win 10 menu...........

Just to be sure I did run scans, nothing (virus related) found.

What the fuck is up with Microsoft???!!!!!! They're treating MY PC as a fucking dedicated Microsoft work fucking station!!!!!!!!
That's it, Xbox is Microsoft so I'll go with Sony Playstation and NONE of my computers will run Windows as an operating system. Fucking bastards!!!!

Okay, M$ just pissed me off again........ It updated my desktop earlier today, suddenly I had to actually login as opposed to the auto login I had setup. Then I went back to it a couple of hours later and when it woke up the was some picture on the screen with M$ asking if I liked it or not. Finally I noticed MS had replaced Startisback with the Win 10 menu...........

What the fuck is up with Microsoft???!!!!!! They're treating MY PC as a fucking dedicated Microsoft work fucking station!!!!!!!!
That's it, Xbox is Microsoft so I'll go with Sony Playstation and NONE of my computers will run Windows as an operating system. Fucking bastards!!!!
Always been a problem with MS and Apple - they prefer to control the 'user experience' rather than simply let you be. Drives me nuts sometimes but I have come to expect it from most modern software. The worst part is that this is coming over to phone systems as well. Used to be that android came fairly clean. now it is just as chock bull of garbage that cannot be removed as crapples devices.

Always been a problem with MS and Apple - they prefer to control the 'user experience' rather than simply let you be. Drives me nuts sometimes but I have come to expect it from most modern software. The worst part is that this is coming over to phone systems as well. Used to be that android came fairly clean. now it is just as chock bull of garbage that cannot be removed as crapples devices.
Well I've finally had with their bull shit, I'm wiping all my hard drives and loading Ubuntu, I'll play any games I want on Playstation.

I have said it several times now - I bet my house Windows "11" or whatever - there will be paid advertisements on the desktop. You can just feel it coming.

Windows 10 sucks. I will only use it when there will be a DX12 game I want to play. I am still using Windows 8.

I have said it several times now - I bet my house Windows "11" or whatever - there will be paid advertisements on the desktop. You can just feel it coming.
I don´t that there will be a Windows 11. MS wants to maintain Windows 10 for a long time and add new features now and then. Maybe, real ads will come but I don´t think so. Windows 10 is not a free software after all.

I don´t that there will be a Windows 11. MS wants to maintain Windows 10 for a long time and add new features now and then. Maybe, real ads will come but I don´t think so. Windows 10 is not a free software after all.
In a manner of speaking they are already there on preinstalled windows machines though much of it is not directly the responsibility of Microsoft. Most computer manufacturers preinstall programs no one actually wants and make it rather difficult to remove them. I think MS 10 has some apps preinstalled as well. That is, essentially, advertisement. Android has become terrible at this type of annoying installed software to the point that they actually bar you from removing it entirely.

I think so. The Windows 8 "panel" setup was perfectly setup for advertising. In fact so is Windows 10:
win10-start-menu.jpg

Now - the "Ad panels" just push to something Microsoft...be it bing, messenger, MSNBC etc. It is a very short hop to sell those panels to the highest bidder...perfect setup for ad space. That was the very first thing I thought of when I saw Win 8 right after I thought it looked exactly like the Xbox gui.
Right now it is perfect for Microsoft to push users towards all things Microsoft and to make it easy to do so.
But I am willing to bet heavy that those panels will be sold.

In a manner of speaking they are already there on preinstalled windows machines though much of it is not directly the responsibility of Microsoft. Most computer manufacturers preinstall programs no one actually wants and make it rather difficult to remove them. I think MS 10 has some apps preinstalled as well. That is, essentially, advertisement. Android has become terrible at this type of annoying installed software to the point that they actually bar you from removing it entirely.

I hear that...so is Kindle. The login screen is now 100% ad space. You used to be able to set your login screen as whatever you wanted, now it is ads.

I hear that...so is Kindle. The login screen is now 100% ad space. You used to be able to set your login screen as whatever you wanted, now it is ads.
It is annoying BUT I do have to give the companies their due - people are getting used to and expecting free/cheap shit all over the place. Most 'apps' are now free and most computer hardware cost what it did 15 years ago though prices should have doubled. Companies have to get their money from somewhere and advertisements is a tried and true way of doing so. I may be a lot less inclined to be annoyed if windows cost 40 bucks instead of 100 but had ads in the start menu. As long as those ads were not in the way.

What you guys are saying makes a lot of sense as well - windows got some serious flack for the new layout because it is inherently clunky for anything that is not a touch screen. The people over at MS are some damned smart people and drastically changing the layout to one that is not natural on the target machines makes no sense UNLESS you are correct and they are working to advertisement space. The entire design of the start menu is nonsensical right now. Even worse, many of those 'apps' MS likes to put there are invasive. The 'reader' and several other programs take over your desk space and make it more difficult to exit out of those programs. I have a huge screen for a reason and it is not so that an 'app' can take over all of its real estate.

It is annoying BUT I do have to give the companies their due - people are getting used to and expecting free/cheap shit all over the place. Most 'apps' are now free and most computer hardware cost what it did 15 years ago though prices should have doubled. Companies have to get their money from somewhere and advertisements is a tried and true way of doing so. I may be a lot less inclined to be annoyed if windows cost 40 bucks instead of 100 but had ads in the start menu. As long as those ads were not in the way.

What you guys are saying makes a lot of sense as well - windows got some serious flack for the new layout because it is inherently clunky for anything that is not a touch screen. The people over at MS are some damned smart people and drastically changing the layout to one that is not natural on the target machines makes no sense UNLESS you are correct and they are working to advertisement space. The entire design of the start menu is nonsensical right now. Even worse, many of those 'apps' MS likes to put there are invasive. The 'reader' and several other programs take over your desk space and make it more difficult to exit out of those programs. I have a huge screen for a reason and it is not so that an 'app' can take over all of its real estate.

Which is why I can't deal with Windows 8-10.
It reminds me of Windows 3.1 (apps completely taking over screen) - only then it was necessary because computers were not yet multi-tasking. Having a program completely take over the computer, and not easy to get back out of is just insane...and counter productive. Just flat out stupid.

I would install the Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB. No apps. Not even an appstore. If you want to remove non-removable apps from your Android-Phone, you need to get root-access. However, most of them can be deactivated without root.

Last edited:

I think so. The Windows 8 "panel" setup was perfectly setup for advertising. In fact so is Windows 10:
win10-start-menu.jpg

Now - the "Ad panels" just push to something Microsoft...be it bing, messenger, MSNBC etc. It is a very short hop to sell those panels to the highest bidder...perfect setup for ad space. That was the very first thing I thought of when I saw Win 8 right after I thought it looked exactly like the Xbox gui.
Right now it is perfect for Microsoft to push users towards all things Microsoft and to make it easy to do so.
But I am willing to bet heavy that those panels will be sold.
People would dislike this and uninstall the system.

Besides, it didn't read any threat when I scanned it, it did read a threat when I tried to install it.
May be heuristic. Like many cracks, this tool could have a behavior that is similar to malware (bypassing the system) and av-tools could then falsely consider it a virus, trojan, ect. However, this does not ensure that cracks or this tool are free of malware!
Didn't think of that but if your Tweaker works the same then why bother with the other one.
BTW I decided to use Classic Shell instead of Startisback, Classic Shell is free which means I'm not giving my banking information to someone in Russia........

I really love Classic Shell, and the options it provides.

Which is why I can't deal with Windows 8-10.
It reminds me of Windows 3.1 (apps completely taking over screen) - only then it was necessary because computers were not yet multi-tasking. Having a program completely take over the computer, and not easy to get back out of is just insane...and counter productive. Just flat out stupid.
Windows 3.1 has normal windows the programs use.

Forum List

Back