can i upgrade

sjay

VIP Member
Aug 24, 2009
When I used my free upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10,i saved a copy of windows8.1 on a flash drive just in case. Could I use that flash drive to upgrade my old laptop from vista to windows 8.1?

When I used my free upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10,i saved a copy of windows8.1 on a flash drive just in case. Could I use that flash drive to upgrade my old laptop from vista to windows 8.1?

No!

You need a separate operating system license for each computer.

The flash drive contains a copy of the license that belongs to the computer that you upgraded.

Your old Vista laptop needs it's own O/S license.

With a clean install on a freshly formatted hard drive, it could possibly work... but it's very doubtful. There's a few ways to do it, but the methods involve finding stuff in the "gray areas" of the 'net. I've done similar OS changes without issue, but it isn't for the faint of heart (or tech savvy).

Technically, yes, but... ;)

The flash drive contains a copy of the license that belongs to the computer that you upgraded.
Not necessarily.
If it's an image of the original install on the PC, then you are correct - but there would be more serious problems to overcome than just the key. Drivers specific to the original PC would be the biggest issue.
If it was just a copy of the install disk, then any valid key suitable to the version (OEM, retail, upgrade, Pro, Ultimate, etc.) would work.

Once again, technically.

I guess I say it. Before you go drastic you can burn a DVD or flash drive iso image of a Linux distro and run it side by side. You'll have current stuff if you don't need a specific Windows program. I'd recommend Mint 17.2 (or whatever it's up to).

With a clean install on a freshly formatted hard drive, it could possibly work... but it's very doubtful. There's a few ways to do it, but the methods involve finding stuff in the "gray areas" of the 'net. I've done similar OS changes without issue, but it isn't for the faint of heart (or tech savvy).

Technically, yes, but... ;)

Not necessarily.
If it's an image of the original install on the PC, then you are correct - but there would be more serious problems to overcome than just the key. Drivers specific to the original PC would be the biggest issue.
If it was just a copy of the install disk, then any valid key suitable to the version (OEM, retail, upgrade, Pro, Ultimate, etc.) would work.

Once again, technically.

Nothing "technically" about it. Failing to pay for a license is software piracy. If there is a way to upgrade Vista to Windows 10 then that would be legal. But taking the license from another system and using it while still using the original system is piracy. Each computer needs it's own licensed copy of the O/S.

Do not know If you have the hardware to run windows 8.1.

Although you can not install the version you have..

You would need to get another license key..

Could probably not be activated. However, you are not clear about what exactly you´ve put on the drive. The files from c: or the files from the Windows 8 disk?

Forum List

Back