Michigan Lawmaker who opposed helmet laws dies in motorcycle crash

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
Michigan lawmaker who opposed helmet law dies in motorcycle crash - CNN.com

CNN)A Michigan state lawmaker who voted to repeal universal helmet laws has died in a motorcycle crash, according to Michigan State Police.

Rep. Peter Pettalia was riding southbound on M-33 in northern Michigan late Monday afternoon when a pickup truck turned left into his lane. His motorcycle broadsided the pickup. Pettalia was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, police said. The driver of the truck, a 59-year-old woman, was not injured, police said.

He kind of made a good political point with his death, helmets don't matter, you'll probably die anyways

Helmet laws have a direct effect on the number of organ donations. If helmets aren't required, many more organ donations....if they are, fewer.

Helmets, leathers and boots help a lot when you get sideswiped and slide about 50 yards on a hardtop road. The road acts like a cabbage grater on bare skin or a bare head.

Liberals might have trouble understanding how you can be pro helmets, but also anti helmet laws.

He knew the risk for not wearing a helmet and sadly paid the price for his silliness. I still do not think it there should be a universal helmet law, though.

To argue that helmets don't save lives because of one crash is kind of lame.

Motorcycle Safety | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

Motorcycle crash deaths are costly, but preventable. The single most effective way for states to save lives and save money is a universal helmet law.

• Helmets saved an estimated 1,630 lives and $2.8 billion in economic costs in 2013.1
  • The United States could have saved an additional $1.1 billion in 2013 if all motorcyclists had worn helmets.1
  • Helmets reduce the risk of death by 37%.1
  • Helmets reduce the risk of head injury by 69%.2,3
“Our role is to identify ways to prevent injury and death and rigorously check what works and what does not work. For motorcycle safety, the research shows that universal helmet laws are the most effective way to reduce the number of deaths and traumatic brain injuries that result from crashes.”

- Dr. Thomas Frieden, CDC Director

Then again, this is the CDC so I'm sure the more conspiracy minded probably think they have an agenda against freedom and are secretly padding helmets with fluoride tablets.

Wearing a helmet is smart.

Requiring helmet laws are authoritarian. Not wearing a helmet is not physically hurting another person.

Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle is a damn fool.

Anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt when driving a car is a damn fool.

The time required to engage either one is minimal and they increase greatly a person's chance of surviving an accident.

That being said, as a driver of cars and a onetime motorcycle enthusiast, I do not support mandatory laws for either. Never have, never will. Think of it as a way to weed out the dummies...

BUT...

If a state has mandatory seatbelt laws (and I think most, if not all, of them do) I believe they should also have mandatory helmet laws.

Michigan lawmaker who opposed helmet law dies in motorcycle crash - CNN.com

CNN)A Michigan state lawmaker who voted to repeal universal helmet laws has died in a motorcycle crash, according to Michigan State Police.

Rep. Peter Pettalia was riding southbound on M-33 in northern Michigan late Monday afternoon when a pickup truck turned left into his lane. His motorcycle broadsided the pickup. Pettalia was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, police said. The driver of the truck, a 59-year-old woman, was not injured, police said.

He was wearing a helmet but that's always been a big complaint it mufflers sound and doesn't give good vision to react fast in a crash.

The time required to engage either one is minimal and they increase greatly a person's chance of surviving an accident.

That being said, as a driver of cars and a onetime motorcycle enthusiast, I do not support mandatory laws for either. Never have, never will. Think of it as a way to weed out the dummies...

BUT...

If a state has mandatory seatbelt laws (and I think most, if not all, of them do) I believe they should also have mandatory helmet laws.

If you want to prolong lives why don't you make drivers of cars wear a helmet , fire suit......

If it is good enough for F1, Nasscar, Indy car..why do we ignore the safety?

Helmet laws have a direct effect on the number of organ donations. If helmets aren't required, many more organ donations....if they are, fewer.

Have a link?

I have a link saying car crashes have not declined because of seat belt laws.

BUT...

If you want to prolong lives why don't you make drivers of cars wear a helmet , fire suit......

Why is it funny?

Because it is inconvenient for you?

Do liberals want to save life's or not?

He knew the risk for not wearing a helmet and sadly paid the price for his silliness. I still do not think it there should be a universal helmet law, though.
Did you miss the part where he was wearing a helmet and it did no good?

BUT...

Why is it funny?

Because it is inconvenient for you?

Do liberals want to save life's or not?

It's funny because it's funny. It made me chuckle.

Nothing "inconvenient" at all.

This post is even funnier because I'm not a liberal...

Forum List

Back