Mich. school practices 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.

My powerhouse high school team had two-a-days the first three weeks of practice in the summer, 8-10am and 3-5pm. If you had a summer job it was over on Aug. 1st if it required you to be there during practice times or if it was such you couldn't schedule around practices. Different in college. LOL...they owned our asses and it was more or less akin to work.

A Michigan high school football team is holding preseason practices in the middle of the night to help its Muslim players practice both faith and football.

The predominantly Muslim squad from Dearborn says the nocturnal regimen is a way for players to eat and drink while observing the holy month of daytime fasting known as Ramadan that started last week.

The August heat also played a factor in Fordson High coach Fouad Zaban's proposal to reverse the clock for a week of two-a-day practices.

Working it out meant getting the approval of school and district administrators and the blessings of players, parents and police. Then, there were the residents in the surrounding neighborhood, who would hear more noise and see the illuminated field. So he sent letters explaining the decision.

Fordson High School team in Dearborn, Mich., school practicing at night for Ramadan - ESPN

Comments?

So?

Isn't it pretty hot, with quite a bit of humidity in Michigan this time of year? And like Del, they solved a problem. And it looks like they got the approval of everyone involved. This is not a big deal, and it will probably help with players not getting heat stroke. How many football players every year end up dead or hospitalized every year due to heat stroke?

Good point del. And I do agree that if all are on board, it's a pretty good idea. I'm just skeptical whether similar accomodations would be made for kids of other faiths.

Sunday mornings would be a perfect time for practice....but they don't.

you people are fucking retarded. In High School, the band would practice at 4am because of split shift school schedules and limited field practice time. whoopty fucking doo.

Shogun was in band?

Did you ever go to band camp?

Good point del. And I do agree that if all are on board, it's a pretty good idea. I'm just skeptical whether similar accomodations would be made for kids of other faiths.

you mean like municipalities closing down entire shopping areas on sundays or not selling liquor on sunday til after noon to accomodate a bunch of christian zealots?

Dream on. You'd have to many whining liberals complaining about the separation of Church and State and not showing favoritism to one religion over another. The ACLU would be suing somebody for it.

Just a school responding to the needs of its community and its players

And yet, if a school was to allow for prayer time in a predominantly CHRISTIAN community,

all hell would break loose...

They had it had my high school, which was in a predominantly christian community, except it wasnt called "prayer time" it was "a moment of silence." Shit, at my high school before football games the team huddle together and say the Lords Prayer.

And yet, if a school was to allow for prayer time in a predominantly CHRISTIAN community,

How many football teams say a Christian prayer before every game?

What do you mean, a Christian Prayer?

Muslims, Jews, and Christians all pray to the same god.

Are you suggesting the Hindus are being ignored?

How many fucking Hindu Football players are there?

Do they change the time of the game to allow it?

You keep making inane points. Teams set their own practice times. If the team wants to practice from 11 to 4 am thats a decision for the team, coach, and the parents.

That's an interesting question. Wonder what the answer is today? When I was in HS and college I'd say the vast majority of teams had a pregame prayer.

Our local HS is looking to five-peat as state champs this year and I know for a fact they do it, but not a clue how widespread it is these days.

And they do allow prayer time...every day. I think what you want is "designated you must pray the prayer we give you to the god we want you to pray to" time.

Strollingbones, you do realize that millions of kids every year get injured, sometimes very seriously, from recreational activities and sports other than football. And football does account for padding that helps protect the kids and minimize injuries... Of course you probably wrap your kid in bubblewrap everyday before sending them to school.

Exactly. Every year at band camp, a girl will get severe vulvar and vaginal lacerations after inserting a flute into her vagina.

Do they change the time of the game to allow it?

You keep making inane points. Teams set their own practice times. If the team wants to practice from 11 to 4 am thats a decision for the team, coach, and the parents.
The point is they are making it to accommodate a religious practice. Something I here crybaby liberals whining about all day long when it applies to Christianity. Getting a tad hypocritical there aren't you?

Forum List

Back