Mich. school practices 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.

For one it's not healthy for teens to be up all night. Hell it's not easy for anyone. I worked 3rd shift for a long time and nothing will screw with your health more than chronic lack of sleep. And anyone who thinks it's easy to sleep all day has obviously never tried it.

I'm willing to bet that injuries on the team will increase and performance will decline. It's up to the muslims to observe their arcane religious practices on their own. We should not be forced to comply.

It's a stupid decision.

Hi.

I have worked from 10pm to 6am for the last three years now. I sleep just fine.

Are you scheduled to do anything else during the day?

Probably not. How many of those teens have summer jobs or other family obligations that will cut into their sleep. Remember that teens need more sleep than adults; teen athletes especially so.

Yes.

I'm a full time student and have regular life things that people who work days do. Cloths need to be washed the lawn needs to be mowed, groceries bought, food cooked, etc, etc, etc.

For one it's not healthy for teens to be up all night. Hell it's not easy for anyone. I worked 3rd shift for a long time and nothing will screw with your health more than chronic lack of sleep. And anyone who thinks it's easy to sleep all day has obviously never tried it.

I'm willing to bet that injuries on the team will increase and performance will decline. It's up to the muslims to observe their arcane religious practices on their own. We should not be forced to comply.

It's a stupid decision.

Hi.

Probably not. How many of those teens have summer jobs or other family obligations that will cut into their sleep. Remember that teens need more sleep than adults; teen athletes especially so.

If football practice had been held during the day, the practice would have interrupted their summer job and other family obligations.

FAIL.

Hi.

If football practice had been held during the day, the practice would have interrupted their summer job and other family obligations.

FAIL.

Not necessarily. Our society is geared for daytime activities. Practicing from 8AM until 1 PM then attending to other obligations still allows for plenty of sleep because our kids have been programmed to sleep at night not during the day.

Tell you what you try to do your most demanding mental and physical tasks between 11PM and 4 AM and let me know how it works out.

Well actually, it was a 6pm-6am 6 and a half days a week but who's keeping track anyway.

I worked that shift for a while in Iraq too.

I worked nights and swing shifts. It's a lot harder than most people think.

You're going to have a bunch of kids who have been staying up all night for a month or so that will be asked to flip their schedules when school starts.

How much do you want to bet that those students will not be at their best in class when school starts?

Hi.

FAIL.

Yes but many schools have moved practice to the evening when it's not as hot. This is a first I believe to have it in the middle of the night.

FAIL.

Not necessarily. Our society is geared for daytime activities. Practicing from 8AM until 1 PM then attending to other obligations still allows for plenty of sleep because our kids have been programmed to sleep at night not during the day.

Tell you what you try to do your most demanding mental and physical tasks between 11PM and 4 AM and let me know how it works out.

If it is something that the kid really wants to do...and if it is something that the kid has been excited to do since the year before when they finished the season with one loss...I'm sure the kid will be fine for a week.

We're not talking about a month of practice...we're talking about a week.

Did you read the article?

FAIL.

Yes but many schools have moved practice to the evening when it's not as hot. This is a first I believe to have it in the middle of the night.

We had practices early in the morning when it was cool. the "because it's hot" justification is a red herring.

I worked that shift for a while in Iraq too.

I worked nights and swing shifts. It's a lot harder than most people think.

You're going to have a bunch of kids who have been staying up all night for a month or so that will be asked to flip their schedules when school starts.

How much do you want to bet that those students will not be at their best in class when school starts?

For what? The first two days?

The first week of school is always a joke anyways.

I know this may sound naïve, but I think Muslim kids playing HS football could "build more bridges" than all the frickin politicos and scholars combined.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't want my kid to do it. The risk of injury is already great enough in football. Adding in sleep deprivation to the mix is ill advised in my opinion.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't want my kid to do it. The risk of injury is already great enough in football. Adding in sleep deprivation to the mix is ill advised in my opinion.

You would have been the last person I that would have picked to protest this decision...but I jest.

What I am saying is that when it comes to being a night shift warrior, I'm hard core.

Forum List

Back