Miami Judge Smacks Down Teen After She Gave Him The Finger In Court

Chicken and egg.

Did her immature attitude lead to her drug use?

Or did drug use create her attitude?

Regardless she was eligible for assistance and she got it. "Among the reasons [the judge]cited for dropping her contempt sentence were her being a first-time offender, her admission that she had abused Xanax, her willingness to overcome her addiction by attending a drug-treatment program and her apology."

It would be interesting to revisit this young woman in, say...three months, six months, a year and see how repentant she is. My bet is she's back in front of another judge before the year's out, but we most likely won't find out about it.

That could very well be the case, however, she has her chance to get clean and live a normal life, in part, thanks to this judge.

She admitted to being high when she was before the judge the first time. She should have gotten far more than 30 days. Two years is more appropriate.

She admitted to being high when she was before the judge the first time. She should have gotten far more than 30 days. Two years is more appropriate.

It seemed that she had been in jail at least one night. Maybe the effects of alcohol/Xanax are long lasting?

She was probably advised to apologize and do/say whatever she needed to be admitted into the drug diversion program.

There is always a chance that given such an opportunity an individual will choose to make needed changes but it sounds like a major undertaking for this young woman.

An attorney friend of mine told me a story about a defendant in court got 10 years and he told the judge he can do that standing on his head and the judge gave him 10 more to put him back on his feet...lol

I was on a large jury panel a few years back. The bailiff told us not to leave the room for any reason as the judge was a stictler for jurors being prompt. We then waited 45 minutes for the tardy judge. The guy next to me whisper he had to pee and could not hold it any longer. The guy left the room to pee. No sooner had he left then the judge came in the room through a side door. As luck would have it, the guy was the first one called into the juror box. He re-entered the room, about two minutes later. The judge asked him why he left the room without permission. The guy apologized and said he had to use the restroom. Judge gave him 30 days. Others also left the room during the 45 minute wait, but were not so unlucky.

Judges are pretty much God in their courtroom.

An attorney friend of mine told me a story about a defendant in court got 10 years and he told the judge he can do that standing on his head and the judge gave him 10 more to put him back on his feet...lol

I was on a large jury panel a few years back. The bailiff told us not to leave the room for any reason as the judge was a stictler for jurors being prompt. We then waited 45 minutes for the tardy judge. The guy next to me whisper he had to pee and could not hold it any longer. The guy left the room to pee. No sooner had he left then the judge came in the room through a side door. As luck would have it, the guy was the first one called into the juror box. He re-entered the room, about two minutes later. The judge asked him why he left the room without permission. The guy apologized and said he had to use the restroom. Judge gave him 30 days. Others also left the room during the 45 minute wait, but were not so unlucky.

That is something that can probably be brought up to the ethics's commitee.

45 minutes isn't that long, couldn't he have gone before being locked in the room? And as for the others that left, they should have had the same punishment as the guy who had to pee.

That is part of the problem of the Drug War: far too many prison beds and prisons.

45 minutes isn't that long, couldn't he have gone before being locked in the room? And as for the others that left, they should have had the same punishment as the guy who had to pee.

Not knowing exactly what the circumstances were, it's possible that 45 minutes WAS too long. Besides, telling jurors they have to wait and cannot use the bathroom is, IMO, completely ridiculous. It's made worse by the fact the judge was apparently late.

So is the judge still some egotistical monster for using his authority as a judge to hold a contemnor in contempt?

Or is he "ok" now that he saw fit to be lenient?

It's in the eye of the beholder, I guess, if one is the judge. Tremendous power. I agree that 30 days was reasonable, if the judge wanted her to stay in jail; I also agree that if he believed she was penitent, that was OK, too. That's their job: to judge. And the rest of us should support them as long as they are not tossing people into ovens.

I was on a large jury panel a few years back. The bailiff told us not to leave the room for any reason as the judge was a stictler for jurors being prompt. We then waited 45 minutes for the tardy judge... [a guy went to the bathroom]... The judge asked him why he left the room without permission. The guy apologized and said he had to use the restroom. Judge gave him 30 days...

Not all judges are equal.

The girl was probably out of line; it wasn't clear exactly how she got charged, but judges like the one described just above could benefit from being tied to a post and horsewhipped.

Known a dozen judges; played golf fairly regularly with three over the years. Never met one worth a fuck as a human. Still, it's probably a good thing some lawyers can't make it in the private sector and so take that sort of work. It's got to be done or as difficult to believe as it might be, things would likely be worse than they are.

Last edited:

Not knowing exactly what the circumstances were, it's possible that 45 minutes WAS too long. Besides, telling jurors they have to wait and cannot use the bathroom is, IMO, completely ridiculous. It's made worse by the fact the judge was apparently late.

Yeah, but what if it's during the trial? What are you going to stop the trial every 45 minutes? If you can't hold it that long, you've got no business being on a jury.

Yeah, but what if it's during the trial? What are you going to stop the trial every 45 minutes? If you can't hold it that long, you've got no business being on a jury.

People need to pee. Its unhealthy to hold it in. Depending on how many breaks you get, and how often, you may not have the time to pee.

Teen who flipped off Florida judge back in court

2/25/13

VIDEO

By Ari Odzer, NBCMiami.com
Penelope Soto, the woman who flipped off a Miami-Dade County judge in Florida, made another appearance in court Monday morning.

Soto, 18, attended a status hearing where it was revealed she's passed eight drug tests and has attended all counseling sessions following her arrest earlier this month.

"Eight out of eight, that's perfect, congratulations!" Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jeffrey Rosinek told Soto.

She smiled as the judge applauded her efforts and wished her continued success in the drug program.

It was a stark contrast from her first appearance, when Soto made national headlines for flipping the bird at Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat during her bond hearing, which cost her a 30-day jail sentence for contempt of court.

Teen who flipped off Florida judge back in court - U.S. News

Forum List

Back