Miami Judge Smacks Down Teen After She Gave Him The Finger In Court

A bitter ass old man, an employee of the freest nation on the planet, decided to punish a young woman extra because she used freedom of speech? Fuck that fat dumbass judge.

Declaring her "criminally contempt?" That's unbelievable. That you can so candidly take away a month from a person's life in a matter of seconds. Fuck that guy.

You do not have the freedom to flip the judge off in court any more than you have the freedom to shout "fire" in a crowded theater. She deserved her punishment, maybe she'll have more respect when she comes up before a judge again, or better yet, maybe she will turn her life around and not end up in front of a judge again. Her parents should have slapped her down long before she gave the judge the finger.

This story has been discussed elsewhere online today and TheOldSchool is the only poster who has criticized the judge. fwiw

What sort of person must this young woman be?? Some have compared her to Lindsay Lohan.

You are in court on drug charges, receive a significant fine and respond in this manner.

shrug--Maybe she has some wealthy 'friends'/associates that can help her. Good money to be made in drugs if you know the right people.

I think the judge did the right thing. That young girl is an idiot.

The courts should be a place that demonstrate the highest level of civilized behavior. How would it be if people were allowed to treat the court and court officials with contempt and uncivilized disrespect? We would not be able to function in any civilized way. Students would be regularly screaming obsenscities at their teachers and even threatening them. Yes, some do that now, but not without consequences. People would disrespect each other all over the place: bosses, supervisors, service people, etc. Yes, they do it, but, again, not without consequences. If you swear at a service person, they stop serving you, or, if it is over the phone, hang up on you. If you threaten people and curse at them, you face consequences. If people don't behave in a civilized manner, they should face the consequences. People talk about bad areas of town, places they wouldn't want to live. Why don't they want to be in those places or live in those places? Because they are less civilized than other places.

This is a good, smart Judge, what he did was to penetrate a thick skulled teen who was worthy of rehabilitation in attitude and subsequently a drug addiction...

"Soto tearfully apologized to the judge and admitted she was under the influence of Xanax and alcohol during her first hearing. He then dropped her contempt of court charges and vacated her 30-day jail term.

Soto's lawyer said she will complete a drug court program, which includes treatment for drug addiction and usually results in charges eventually being dropped for first-time offenders."

Penelope Soto, Fla. teen who flipped off judge, apologizes and avoids 30-day sentence - Crimesider - CBS News

Oh, and WHO was the person in this thread that said she looked like she was strung out????

MarcATL, I do recall you doubting that....

Part of me thinks that 30 days in jail for answering back is a little severe. But on the other hand, I think that since the judge is a person in authority, he should be respected, and she failed to show him the respect he deserved, so perhaps after 30 days in jail, she will have learned to respect her elders.

If the young woman was not high, she certainly did a good impersonation.

A judge's decision can be appealed; there is fairness and liberty embedded in the criminal codes. If she thinks this was excessive, she can find a lawyer with all her jewelry money and see if another judge agrees.

I highly doubt another judge would agree.

A judge's decision can be appealed; there is fairness and liberty embedded in the criminal codes. If she thinks this was excessive, she can find a lawyer with all her jewelry money and see if another judge agrees.

Another judge would agree.

However, the issue is moot as the judge vacated the contempt order and penalty and got the girl services for her drug issues.

Do you actually have a problem with that?

However, the issue is moot as the judge vacated the contempt order and penalty and got the girl services for her drug issues.

I have a problem with that

Her main problem is her attitude issues not her drug issues

I have a problem with that

Her main problem is her attitude issues not her drug issues

..and her drug problems may have been brought on by her attitude problems. Bottom line the judge is attempting to rehabilitate this person. If successful, she could be a boon to society, punish her and you have another blight on society and a recidivist offender.

Chicken and egg.

Did her immature attitude lead to her drug use?

Or did drug use create her attitude?

Regardless she was eligible for assistance and she got it. "Among the reasons [the judge]cited for dropping her contempt sentence were her being a first-time offender, her admission that she had abused Xanax, her willingness to overcome her addiction by attending a drug-treatment program and her apology."

My favorite story was the elderly female judge in a criminal case who presided over the trial of the young female convicted defendant (I forgot the crime but believe it was either murder or manslaughter). The defendant did not especially care for the verdict and "blamed" the judge for the conviction, and chose to share her feelings with the judge by calling the judge a "dried up old ****."

A couple of weeks pass and the day has arrived for sentencing and the judge lays down the law with a sentence involving a VERY long period behind bars in a state prison. Then as the Court Officers were taking the convicted and sentenced defendant back into the "pens," the judge called the defendant back, reminded her of what she had said to the court a couple of weeks earlier and suggested to the newly minted convict: "when you get out of prison we'll SEE who is dried up."

That's funny, but I don't believe it is a true story.

A bitter ass old man, an employee of the freest nation on the planet, decided to punish a young woman extra because she used freedom of speech? Fuck that fat dumbass judge.

Declaring her "criminally contempt?" That's unbelievable. That you can so candidly take away a month from a person's life in a matter of seconds. Fuck that guy.

The orange jumpsuit skank was in contempt of judicial authority, TOS. Good for the judge and boo on you.

Teen Apologizes to Judge for F-Bomb, Middle Finger

The teen that told a Miami judge, “F*** you,” earlier this week was back in court today – this time with a much different attitude.

There was no giggling from Penelope Soto the second time she appeared before Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat. Instead, Soto, 18, was contrite and explained that she “doesn’t normally talk like that.”

“My behavior was very irrational. I apologize to not only you, but my family,” Soto said as she began to tear up.

“It is really unacceptable to use that type of profanity in any court,” Rodriguez-Chomat said. “I hope you have learned that lesson.”

Rodriguez-Chomat decided to vacate the judgement of contempt on Soto, stating that “the defendant is a 1st time offender,” and “has admitted that she has a drug addiction.” With this vacation of contempt, the remainder of Soto’s 30-day jail sentence is also lifted.

Teen Apologizes to Judge for F-Bomb, Middle Finger - ABC News

Chicken and egg.

Regardless she was eligible for assistance and she got it. "Among the reasons [the judge]cited for dropping her contempt sentence were her being a first-time offender, her admission that she had abused Xanax, her willingness to overcome her addiction by attending a drug-treatment program and her apology."

It would be interesting to revisit this young woman in, say...three months, six months, a year and see how repentant she is. My bet is she's back in front of another judge before the year's out, but we most likely won't find out about it.

Teen Apologizes to Judge for F-Bomb, Middle Finger

The teen that told a Miami judge, “F*** you,” earlier this week was back in court today – this time with a much different attitude.

There was no giggling from Penelope Soto the second time she appeared before Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat. Instead, Soto, 18, was contrite and explained that she “doesn’t normally talk like that.”

“My behavior was very irrational. I apologize to not only you, but my family,” Soto said as she began to tear up.

“It is really unacceptable to use that type of profanity in any court,” Rodriguez-Chomat said. “I hope you have learned that lesson.”

Rodriguez-Chomat decided to vacate the judgement of contempt on Soto, stating that “the defendant is a 1st time offender,” and “has admitted that she has a drug addiction.” With this vacation of contempt, the remainder of Soto’s 30-day jail sentence is also lifted.

Teen Apologizes to Judge for F-Bomb, Middle Finger - ABC News

The way it should be. Good for the apology, good for the mercy.

Chicken and egg.

The situation was win-win. The judge was within his right to impose a penalty for contempt, and within his right to lift it when she apologized and agreed to a plea. Now if he would have let her just get away with it, she wouldnt have even had the opprotunity to learn a valuable lesson.

IF she learns it, however is up to her, the judge just gave her the opportunity.

Chicken and egg.

It would be interesting to revisit this young woman in, say...three months, six months, a year and see how repentant she is. My bet is she's back in front of another judge before the year's out, but we most likely won't find out about it.

I think her 15 minutes are up

But I agree with you that I doubt this will be the last of her problems. Getting by on a pretty face and tears when necessary only gets you so far

My favorite story was the elderly female judge in a criminal case who presided over the trial of the young female convicted defendant (I forgot the crime but believe it was either murder or manslaughter). The defendant did not especially care for the verdict and "blamed" the judge for the conviction, and chose to share her feelings with the judge by calling the judge a "dried up old ****."

A couple of weeks pass and the day has arrived for sentencing and the judge lays down the law with a sentence involving a VERY long period behind bars in a state prison. Then as the Court Officers were taking the convicted and sentenced defendant back into the "pens," the judge called the defendant back, reminded her of what she had said to the court a couple of weeks earlier and suggested to the newly minted convict: "when you get out of prison we'll SEE who is dried up."

That's funny, but I don't believe it is a true story.

I do. I knew the judge and the defense attorney involved back then.

Forum List

Back