Mexican United States

"It's the one fact about Mexico that you probably didn't know. The country's name is not really Mexico, at least not officially. After gaining independence from Spain in 1821, Mexico officially became the "Mexican United States....outgoing Mexican President Felipe Calderon on Thursday sent to the Mexican Congress a piece of legislation to change the country's name officially to simply Mexico."

KDBC 4 CBS: Mexico Might Finally Make Name Change Offical

Weird.

I knew that. I lived there years ago. They called it Estados Unidos de Mexico. Mexico City on the other had was just called Mexico. What are they gonna call Mexico City if they can't Estados Unidos de Mexico to Mexico?

Maybe if they do that - we can change OUR name to simply America?

Leave it to us to insult an entire hemisphere at once while summarily muddying the water for our own children, right?

It's annoying enough being the United States of America without further obfuscating the name of our country with the continents. You know... North America, Central America, and South America.

It's funny how often Canadians say 'North America' when they really mean the US but want to feel involved.

I'm sorry the story has an error. Perhaps you should email the writer and let them know. Although the error has no real impact on the story.

The point was Mexico is attempting to change their name to disassociate with the US.

In announcing his decision to propose officially changing his country's name, Calderon said Thursday the name Mexican United States was originally taken because back in 1824 the United States of America was an example of democracy and liberty for the new independent nations in the Americas.
"It's time that we Mexicans retake the beauty and simplicity of our motherland's name: Mexico. "

I thought it was amusing since Mexico is a bit of a shit hole.

They want to disassociate themselves with us? Fine. Time for them to step up to the plate and help their poor instead of getting together with Obama to run ads to encourage their citizens to come here. They like their people sneaking in and sending back billions in remittances. The Mexican government actually relies on that money in their budget.

I think they should go farther than simply disassociating themselves with us, they should build a big ass wall so no Americans can sneak in there.

Forum List

Back