Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

What should you say?

• Total voters
KarlMarx said:
Well... to balance it out, my guess is that charitable giving increases dramatically. My area sponsors poor families each year (each department gets one). I imagine that the same scene is reapeated all across the country.

So the commercialization of Christmas isn't so bad.

Considering the history of Christmas (it used to be celebrated much like Mardi Gras in New Orleans is today), it's pretty tame!

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/holidays/christmas/real.html

Purchasing OR making something and giving it to someone else because you love them and are happy. It just cant be bad.

MissileMan said:
And when did I say that the ACLU is anything but a bunch of extremists on the opposite end of the spectrum from the Falwells and Robertsons? I haven't even said that I object to "Merry Christmas", because I don't. You can count me among those who think that any sincere greeting is okay. It's amusing that people are getting their panties in a twist because a retail outlet isn't putting a religious greeting up for the totally irreligious pursuit of toys, trees, and gift wrap. Imagine the screaming if a store were to use an image of Jesus on a display selling Chatty Cathy dolls.

I haven't jumped in here much, for the simple reason that I don't care what a clerk or store does, however, the more I read and have observed in the 'retail'/restaurant markets, the more I think that Pale Rider has a point.

No one can 'take' Christmas away from me, I know what it means and am grateful and humbled. The commercialization started long before I arrived here and will likely be here when I'm gone. On the other hand, I wouldn't dream of not saying "Happy Hannakuh" to someone I knew celebrated it, which the stores, including groceries do. They had "Ramadan (sic?) specials" too. For Christmas, no mention. "Holiday neccessities" yea, lots of those.

What's up with that? Kinda like I think being 'prejudiced' is wrong, am WJ thorn, yet he too has a point, along the same lines. Being in the majority makes it ok to be 'discriminated against'? :wtf: Granted, because we are in the majority, the only 'harm' is being a bit miffed. I read something though, that I think I'm going with.

While I will do most of my shopping online, what I don't find in the 'malls' which I avoid like avian flu, I will go to my local 'downtown' areas and shop at those that have Merry Christmas signs or Nativity scenes in their displays. The major retailers seem to have made some sort of 'secret alliance' against Christmas, so I'll go with the 'little guys.' There is a very nice bookshop/stationary store in town. A great men's shop, and quite a few 'craft type' shops. Guess where stocking stuffers are coming from?

Kathianne said:
I haven't jumped in here much, for the simple reason that I don't care what a clerk or store does, however, the more I read and have observed in the 'retail'/restaurant markets, the more I think that Pale Rider has a point.

No one can 'take' Christmas away from me, I know what it means and am grateful and humbled. The commercialization started long before I arrived here and will likely be here when I'm gone. On the other hand, I wouldn't dream of not saying "Happy Hannakuh" to someone I knew celebrated it, which the stores, including groceries do. They had "Ramadan (sic?) specials" too. For Christmas, no mention. "Holiday neccessities" yea, lots of those.

What's up with that? Kinda like I think being 'prejudiced' is wrong, am WJ thorn, yet he too has a point, along the same lines. Being in the majority makes it ok to be 'discriminated against'? :wtf: Granted, because we are in the majority, the only 'harm' is being a bit miffed. I read something though, that I think I'm going with.

While I will do most of my shopping online, what I don't find in the 'malls' which I avoid like avian flu, I will go to my local 'downtown' areas and shop at those that have Merry Christmas signs or Nativity scenes in their displays. The major retailers seem to have made some sort of 'secret alliance' against Christmas, so I'll go with the 'little guys.' There is a very nice bookshop/stationary store in town. A great men's shop, and quite a few 'craft type' shops. Guess where stocking stuffers are coming from?

Very well said as usual!!

KarlMarx said:
Well... to balance it out, my guess is that charitable giving increases dramatically. My area sponsors poor families each year (each department gets one). I imagine that the same scene is reapeated all across the country.

Considering the history of Christmas (it used to be celebrated much like Mardi Gras in New Orleans is today), it's pretty tame!

Absolutely Karl.. And as Dillo said there is nothing wrong with giving to loved ones. Afterall it is good for the economy. whether the stores commercialize the holidays or not, the public can choose to go along or not.

Gifts are symbolic as are most material things. If I wish to purchase or make something to give as a symbol of my love for that person, does it make any difference where I got it? The stress and stain of the Christmas gift game is NOT trying to find the nicest or the most expensive present for the right person. It is the act of being an unselfish giver and a grateful receiver that gives people the heeby jeebies.
Will they like it? What will Uncle Bob think? What did they give sonny-boy last year? Can we give them that because I'm not sure they can afford to return in kind?

Forget it--just give with love and receive with gratitude. It's usually more fun playing with the box that stuff comes in. And you know what? If you don't get it perfect you have every day for the rest of your life to get it "right".

I'm glad merchants are available to serve as a go between in the gift giving season and I wont berudge them a few bucks that most of them earn and need.

KarlMarx said:

I think I've already posted how our Thanksgiving has enriched our Christmas. We always give during the holidays to the Salvation Army and I won't cut back on that. Yet, my brother gave all of us a name and 'wish list' of needy middle school kids from the city he works in. I like this, he got the names from the officers in the schools, who obviously knew the kids well enough for them to write their 'lists.'

I have a 12 year old girl. She asked for a top, size 18-20. Pants/skirt 1X. A couple of CD's. Man, I know what hell she must be living. I want to lose weight, but still am a size 10. I'm not 12. On top of that the mom or dad, doubt there are both, is surely struggling financially. Done deal, I'll cut back on what I was going to buy my own kids or dad.

My 3 kids are splitting a 13 year old boy. He only asked for a video game for NFL, NFL cards, and a CD. The kids got him those and a NFL jersey and football-for some reason they think he's into football. :laugh:

My dad has an 11 year old boy. He asked for a couple CD's and a jacket for his little sister. My dad told me to buy those and add a $100 gift card to Target.

Our Christmas is bright.

Kathianne said:
I think I've already posted how our Thanksgiving has enriched our Christmas. We always give during the holidays to the Salvation Army and I won't cut back on that. Yet, my brother gave all of us a name and 'wish list' of needy middle school kids from the city he works in. I like this, he got the names from the officers in the schools, who obviously knew the kids well enough for them to write their 'lists.'

I have a 12 year old girl. She asked for a top, size 18-20. Pants/skirt 1X. A couple of CD's. Man, I know what hell she must be living. I want to lose weight, but still am a size 10. I'm not 12. On top of that the mom or dad, doubt there are both, is surely struggling financially. Done deal, I'll cut back on what I was going to buy my own kids or dad.

My 3 kids are splitting a 13 year old boy. He only asked for a video game for NFL, NFL cards, and a CD. The kids got him those and a NFL jersey and football-for some reason they think he's into football. :laugh:

My dad has an 11 year old boy. He asked for a couple CD's and a jacket for his little sister. My dad told me to buy those and add a $100 gift card to Target.

Our Christmas is bright.

My church has the tree that you pick from and all it says is what type of gift to give and the age of the child. So this year I picked a tag that said a 10 year old girl would like (probably needs more than would like) a scarf and mitten set. Im going to add a toy or game to that as well, I can't just give a scarf and mittens, that's no fun :( LOL

Well, it appears as though you are all much more ok with Christmas being commercialized then I would have originally expected... to that I apologize for making an incorrect assumption.

Now THIS is *Christmas* ...

Kathianne said:

My 3 kids are splitting a 13 year old boy. He only asked for a video game for NFL, NFL cards, and a CD. The kids got him those and a NFL jersey and football-for some reason they think he's into football.

Our Christmas is bright.

Bonnie said:
My church has the tree that you pick from and all it says is what type of gift to give and the age of the child. So this year I picked a tag that said a 10 year old girl would like (probably needs more than would like) a scarf and mitten set. Im going to add a toy or game to that as well, I can't just give a scarf and mittens, that's no fun LOL

You two, I'll tell ya... I am so glad to have "cyber" met the both of you. You revitalize my dwindling faith in people, and remind me that there are still good people out there.

And I realize that there are also many, many more good people just like Kathy and Bonnie out there that do the same thing. You selfless folks, strong in your faith, are not only what makes America strong, but are the essence of what Christmas is all about. This gutting of Christmas and turning it into just another generic day in December is actually an insult to those who believe in Christ, and do as Kathy and Bonnie do. Yes it makes me mad. I think it makes a lot of Christians mad. Problem is, Christians are by and large "polite" people, and would rather not make a huge scene by trying to defend what's near and dear to them. That is what is happening here. Christians are being far to quite, and not coming out in defense of Christmas and their religous holiday. Although boards like this are making it possible for people to anonymously make their feelings known to others, and thankfully, it has been the majority here in defense of Christmas.

Thank you Screamin Eagle. You've done a wonderful job also arguing in this debate. I would have liked to rep you for about five of your posts, but as you know, the board won't let me do that.

And now, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!!!

I am late jumping in on this topic as I was away at the time it was begun.
Here is a list of businesses ignoring "Christmas" in their advertising, as compiled by the American Family Association:

Companies marked with an asterisk* have substituted the phrase "Holiday or Dream trees" instead of "Christmas trees" in their promotions.

* Target (612) 304-6073 [email protected]
Target refuses to use the word "Christmas" in any of their corporate advertising. Their latest 36-page ad insert did use the phrase "holiday" 31 times. In addition, Target has banned the Salvation Army bell ringers from their stores, but opted to sell items online for customers to donate to the Salvation Army. Ironically, Target doesn't give a single cent to them, but profits from your purchase. They also charge you to ship the item to the Salvation Army.

* Sears (847) 286-2500 [email protected]
Sears, owned by Kmart, is advertising "Holiday" trees on page seven of their circular. It also was noticeably absent of the word "Christmas."
Lowe's (800) 445-6937

We are pleased to update you about Lowe’s sale of Christmas trees. Lowe’s informed the AFA yesterday that it is removing banners referring to “holiday trees” from its stores (the actual product signs inside Lowe’s stores did say Christmas trees, but the outside banner did not). Lowe’s says it has proudly sold Christmas trees in its stores for decades, and continues to do so this year in all of its stores nationwide. All 49 varieties of live and artificial trees at Lowe’s and on Lowes.com are labeled as Christmas trees.

Lowe’s assures AFA that the language on the banner was a mistake, and was not in any way an attempt to remove Christmas from the season.

We applaud Lowe’s for listening to its customers and responding to their concerns. Just as we alerted Lowe’s to our concerns, now let’s show them our support by sending thank you emails and shopping in their stores.

* Walgreens (847) 940-2500 [email protected]
Walgreens' newspaper insert uses the word "holiday" a total of 59 times. They also sell "Holiday Trees."

Office Max (877) 484-3629 [email protected]
Office Max offers no "Christmas" in their advertising.

Kmart (800) 635-6278 [email protected]
Kmart promotes a "Holiday Sale" on their website. Links to the trees webpage asks if you "Need it by Christmas," but refers you to its "Holiday Shipping Dates" section.

Staples (800) 378-2753 [email protected]
In searching for "Christmas" on their website, results show only three matches. Staples ads avoid using "Christmas."
Home Depot (800) 430-3376 [email protected]
Home Depot says "In order to avoid endorsing a particular set of beliefs and to encourage the diversity we desire, The Home Depot has chosen to refer to this time of year as the 'Holiday Season'."

JC Penney (800) 953-9421 [email protected]
JC Penney's circular abandoned the term Christmas, but was pleased to recommend you buy your "Holiday" gifts from them.
Best Buy (888) 237-8289 [email protected]
Best Buy offers no "Christmas" in their advertising.

Kohl's (866) 887-8884 [email protected]
Kohl's offers no "Christmas" in their advertising.

If you have an interest in joining a national effort to combat removing "Christmas" from the season, you can go to AFA's website for more information. http://www.afa.net

http://www.afa.net/christmasban.asp for what is posted above

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Thank you for the comprehensive list of stores that have abandoned Christmas A.A.. I WILL avoid those stores.

Abbey Normal said:
Me too, Pale. And we are putting the extra money in the Salvation Army pots this year.

Before all this erupted, I was leaving a Wal Mart. As I walked out the door, there was a woman with the usual bucket hanging from a tri-legged support, ringing a bell. I looked at her, and she said nothing. I did NOT put any money in the bucket either, as I have always done it the past.

But in the past, it was ALWAYS someone dressed as Santa Claus standing next to the bucket ringing the bell, and he was giving the greeting "Merry Christmas" to all that passed, and most people that passed gave. I didn't notice ONE PERSON put a DIME in the woman's bucket at Wal Mart. The meaning and magic were devoid in her standing there. There was no "Christmas spirit". I thought to myself that that was prime example of what is happening, has happened already, to Christmas. It's sad.

Pale Rider said:
Before all this erupted, I was leaving a Wal Mart. As I walked out the door, there was a woman with the usual bucket hanging from a tri-legged support, ringing a bell. I looked at her, and she said nothing. I did NOT put any money in the bucket either, as I have always done it the past.

But in the past, it was ALWAYS someone dressed as Santa Claus standing next to the bucket ringing the bell, and he was giving the greeting "Merry Christmas" to all that passed, and most people that passed gave. I didn't notice ONE PERSON put a DIME in the woman's bucket at Wal Mart. The meaning and magic were devoid in her standing there. There was no "Christmas spirit". I thought to myself that that was prime example of what is happening, has happened already, to Christmas. It's sad.

My dad did the Salvation Army thing at Target for years (bastards) and never dressed as Santa, but he was always ringing the bell and saying Merry Christmas.

Hobbit said:
My dad did the Salvation Army thing at Target for years (bastards) and never dressed as Santa, but he was always ringing the bell and saying Merry Christmas.

And I'd be willing to bet your Dad's bucket got full every time.

Forum List

Back