Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 007, Nov 18, 2005.

?

What should you say?

1. Merry Christmas

69.4%
  2. Happy Holidays

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nothing

2.8%
  4. Don't Care

27.8%
  1. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,127
    This seems to be the question year after year. But this year, it seems the topic has been ratched up one more notch. So here is a poll for the USMessageboard. How do you feel about this? Please comment.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,127
    I voted to say Merry Christmas. After all, it IS CHRISTMAS that we're celebrating.

And another thing, 85% of America is CHRISTIAN, and Christmas is a CHRISTIAN holiday. So why in blue blazes do these merchants insist on saying "happy holidays"? Are they trying to "offend" the 85% who are Christian? Or are they cow towing to the meager 15% who aren't? If they're bending to the minority, then WHY? Isn't that bad business? I personally WON'T "Christmas shop" at a store that insist on saying happy holidays, and I believe I'm not alone. It's just another attack on Christianity, and another attack on religon period by the secularists, who NEED religon pushed completely OUT OF the public eye, so they can move foward with their godless agenda of abortion on demand, queer marriage, and the simple premise to feel good about their immoral actions.

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Its bending over to the PC culture. they know damn well that most christians dont get offended by such petty nonsense as Happy Holidays while other insecure minorities such as jews or blacks or whites pretending to feel the pain of jews or blacks, will make a federal case out of a Merry Christmas sign in a Private business window.

To be honest, I have zero problem with hanukkah. Its an actual holiday. Kwanza however is the most ridiculous pile of horse shit ive ever heard of. Its a made up holiday for a made up religion thats sole purpose is to not be a white christian. Yet its forced down our kids throats at schools. Its like the annoying little sibling that couldnt get their way. You either let them watch TV or they make it so that no one can watch tv by complaining to mom and dad.

4. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Both Merry and Happy work for me. It's no big deal IMO..

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    It's "Merry Christ Mass." I want to make sure people understand *exactly* what holiday greeting them for.

6. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,127
    Well that's a good point Mr. P. Why don't these merchants who chose to omit "Merry Christmas" for a generic happy holidays simply say ALL the greetings instead? Wouldn't that be the intelligent, "inclusive" thing to do?

7. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes, that would be the thing to do. I don't know of any merchants around me that omit "Merry Christmas" though.

8. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,127
    Here's an idea of the big retailers who aren't using Merry Christmas. Couldn't find a complete list, but add ToysRuS to this one.

9. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    If it is the season, and it seems like the right time for a greeting, I always say Merry Christmas (unless I know the person is Jewish, then I say Happy Hanukkah).

One time a Jewish woman I worked with purchased a Christmas tree for our office lobby, but insisted that it be called the "Holiday Tree". She even sent an office wide email telling everyone that we now have a Holiday Tree in the lobby, then proceeded to decorate it with the usual ornaments, lights, etc.

I told her that we didn't have to have any tree at all, but if we were going to, please call it what it is- a Christmas Tree. Needless to say, she didn't budge.

10. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,127
    And that's how it happens. ONE PERSON dictates to the MAJORITY.

Why does the MAJORITY let these pin-heads get away with it?