Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

What should you say?

• Total voters
Pale Rider said:
This seems to be the question year after year. But this year, it seems the topic has been ratched up one more notch. So here is a poll for the USMessageboard. How do you feel about this? Please comment.

If I say anything, it's Merry Christmas. The holiday to be happy about and/or the season greetings are given in behalf of is CHRISTMAS. I don't notice a shortage of athiests or what-have-you's when it's time to celebrate or take the time off.

Shattered said:
That's a shame. Holidays are meant to be enjoyed by everyone - not bickered about.
Not only that but, how about “Thanks”, "Praise" and reflection on the meaning of the day, whatever that is to each of us?

Why the hell does a retail store have anything to do with THAT? :scratch:

Mr. P said:
Not only that but, how about “Thanks”, "Praise" and reflection on the meaning of the day, whatever that is to each of us?

Why the hell does a retail store have anything to do with THAT? :scratch:

That just brings back my original question - if Christmas is about the religious aspects, and personal meanings to people, who gives a bloody rip what's hanging in a store, and what the clerks final words to you as you take your purchases are? If she says "God Bless You", are you going to cuss her out because you're not religious? If she says "Merry Christmas" to you, are you going to lavish her with praise for "getting it right"? If she says "Happy Holidays" to you, are you going to lecture her about what Christmas means to you, and how she should greet others waiting in line behind you? (Note: You = collective - not a specific person)..

There are some things ya just gotta let go.. Pick your battles.

Shattered said:
That's a shame. Holidays are meant to be enjoyed by everyone - not bickered about.
For years everyone bitched that Christmas was overcommercialized, that people were using a religious holiday to make money. Now that they're shifting away from Christmas towards the general holidays of the season instead of Christmas specifically, be it for PC reasons or not, people are bitching that Christmas is NOT being commercialized.

There's just no pleasing some people.

this whole thing is stupid......the holiday in question is christmas.....the birth of christ....whenever someone says happy holidays....i say which one?.....they stammer....i say well which one?......they usuually say all of them......i say i don't celebrate all of them only one, which one would you like me to have a happy one of?.....they usually cave and say well christmas....i say...oh and merry christmas to you as well.

then there are the kwaza, jewish aetheist intelligencia crowd that gets all snotty with me....i usually say ......i respect your right to protest and work on christmas day and not take it as a paid holiday.

Shattered said:
That just brings back my original question - if Christmas is about the religious aspects, and personal meanings to people, who gives a bloody rip what's hanging in a store, and what the clerks final words to you as you take your purchases are? If she says "God Bless You", are you going to cuss her out because you're not religious? If she says "Merry Christmas" to you, are you going to lavish her with praise for "getting it right"? If she says "Happy Holidays" to you, are you going to lecture her about what Christmas means to you, and how she should greet others waiting in line behind you? (Note: You = collective - not a specific person)..

There are some things ya just gotta let go.. Pick your battles.

i totally agree....and fooking with people is one of my favourite hobbies

Manu, What do you say when the person responds to your questions with a simple, "Whichever holiday or holidays you celebrate I hope they are very happy." I say Happy Holidays a lot...not to cave to any pressure but rather to encompass any event you might be celebrating this time of year. I guess I'm just not quite sure I get why you feel the need to pick on people simply for wanting to wish you well.

Pale, I think you and I are on the same page on this one. I don't care what holiday greeting people give me...as long as they are doing it becasue they are happily wishing me well...rather than nervously issuing me a generic greeting to avoid being punished by the ACLU and their ilk.

I lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania while an undergrad and while I completed my graduate work. Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh has a very large Jewish population...and while purchasing Christmas presents at the Squirrel Hill Barnes and Noble or while buying a burnt almond torte to take home to the family at one of the world famous Squirrel Hill jewish bakeries I was often wished a Happy Chanukah....I never felt the need to say, "Uh, no. I won't have a Happy Chanukah because I am not Jewish and do not celebrate that holiday...please wish me a Merry Christmas." I recognized the greeting for what it was...a holiday nicety to be enjoyed.

Now...if the bakeries started saying "Happy Holidays," because they were concerned about lawsuits from angry Christians...that would piss me off.

manu1959 said:
i totally agree....and fooking with people is one of my favourite hobbies

I guess I don't understand why anyone would want to purposely mess with someone merely giving them a simple, well-meaning greeting.. It's not like they're going out of their way to say "Happy Holidays" because they *know* you're Christian, and just want to piss you off... and if they do know, and they are trying to piss you off, then by all means, screw around with them. But, a stranger, a clerk at a store, a waitress at a restaurant...they're just trying to do their jobs while trying to offend as few people as possible... And like I said earlier, you can't tell if someone is Christian or not just by looking at them...

Gem said:
Manu, What do you say when the person responds to your questions with a simple, "Whichever holiday or holidays you celebrate I hope they are very happy." I say Happy Holidays a lot...not to cave to any pressure but rather to encompass any event you might be celebrating this time of year. I guess I'm just not quite sure I get why you feel the need to pick on people simply for wanting to wish you well.

Pale, I think you and I are on the same page on this one. I don't care what holiday greeting people give me...as long as they are doing it becasue they are happily wishing me well...rather than nervously issuing me a generic greeting to avoid being punished by the ACLU and their ilk.

I lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania while an undergrad and while I completed my graduate work. Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh has a very large Jewish population...and while purchasing Christmas presents at the Squirrel Hill Barnes and Noble or while buying a burnt almond torte to take home to the family at one of the world famous Squirrel Hill jewish bakeries I was often wished a Happy Chanukah....I never felt the need to say, "Uh, no. I won't have a Happy Chanukah because I am not Jewish and do not celebrate that holiday...please wish me a Merry Christmas." I recognized the greeting for what it was...a holiday nicety to be enjoyed.

Now...if the bakeries started saying "Happy Holidays," because they were concerned about lawsuits from angry Christians...that would piss me off.

Gem I think you are onto something. Having spent nearly a decade and a half with many Jewish folks, I found myself naturally turning towards, Happy Holidays. In response, they would say, Merry Christmas! If I KNEW they were observant I would say Happy Hannakuh! But often times not, since many 'jews' are not religious.

Shattered said:
I guess I don't understand why anyone would want to purposely mess with someone merely giving them a simple, well-meaning greeting.. It's not like they're going out of their way to say "Happy Holidays" because they *know* you're Christian, and just want to piss you off... and if they do know, and they are trying to piss you off, then by all means, screw around with them. But, a stranger, a clerk at a store, a waitress at a restaurant...they're just trying to do their jobs while trying to offend as few people as possible... And like I said earlier, you can't tell if someone is Christian or not just by looking at them...

first off i am not christian....second i happen to say merry christmas because i understand the purpose of Decmeber 25th....third people around here love to say happy holidays with attitude in their voice.... well i can respond however i like....same way you can't celebrate columbus day as it is indigenous peoples day....birthdays are regulated at school .... you must invite everyone in your childs class so no one gets left out...same for valentines....haloween is now politically correct....i am just as entitled to speak my mind as anyone else...

manu1959 said:
first off i am not christian....second i happen to say merry christmas because i understand the purpose of Decmeber 25th....third people around here love to say happy holidays with attitude in their voice.... well i can respond however i like....same way you can't celebrate columbus day as it is indigenous peoples day....birthdays are regulated at school .... you must invite everyone in your childs class so no one gets left out...same for valentines....haloween is now politically correct....i am just as entitled to speak my mind as anyone else...

I never stated you were Christian - it was a general term, in reference to the subject at hand... And yes, you're entitled to speak your mind - but you also stated that you like to purposely mess with people - I merely asked why... That's all.

Gem said:

i respond to things people say.....same as you....why do you feel the need to pick on me for having a bit of tounge in cheek fun?

manu1959 said:
So we both hate what the “Holidays” have become. :beer:

Mr. P said:

yes...what finally did me in was the office secret santa thing...you know silly gifts etc..... well the girl i was giving to did nothing but bitch....she even bitched to me ...she didn't know it was me....so i stopped giving her little gifts....she went nuts.....complained to everyone every day....last gift was $500 donation to the AIDS foundation (her pet charity) in her name then i sponsored her for $1,000 on the AIDS ride....

Mr. P said:

Ok, I personally could care less what a clerk says to me when I plunk down my $$. That's me. I just want them to be speedy, if I'm in the store. Personally, I am more an online buyer, where they give me 'free shipping' for the holidays.

I think Hobbit went overboard on his post of all 'alternatives' found in a store, but not Christmas. Really doesn't matter, don't you buy the best gift you can, at the best price? Unless you are a type A, where you just want to get it over with, and don't hear the 'greeting'/'parting' in any case?

I'm pretty conservative with Christmas. I think the message of hope and awe and miracle is riveting. I like giving gifts, but it's not the be all and end all. Surely those that 'ring up the sale' have little to do with my feelings. I hear the message of Mary's 'yes' and stand in awe, can a clerk at Walmart or Target change that? No.

manu1959 said:
yes...what finally did me in was the office secret santa thing...you know silly gifts etc..... well the girl i was giving to did nothing but bitch....she even bitched to me ...she didn't know it was me....so i stopped giving her little gifts....she went nuts.....complained to everyone every day....last gift was $500 donation to the AIDS foundation (her pet charity) in her name then i sponsored her for $1,000 on the AIDS ride....
Office holiday stuff…man…I hate that so much I can’t even talk about it…

Kathianne said:
Ok, I personally could care less what a clerk says to me when I plunk down my $$. That's me. I just want them to be speedy, if I'm in the store. Personally, I am more an online buyer, where they give me 'free shipping' for the holidays.

I think Hobbit went overboard on his post of all 'alternatives' found in a store, but not Christmas. Really doesn't matter, don't you buy the best gift you can, at the best price? Unless you are a type A, where you just want to get it over with, and don't hear the 'greeting'/'parting' in any case?

I'm pretty conservative with Christmas. I think the message of hope and awe and miracle is riveting. I like giving gifts, but it's not the be all and end all. Surely those that 'ring up the sale' have little to do with my feelings. I hear the message of Mary's 'yes' and stand in awe, can a clerk at Walmart or Target change that? No.
Which is exactly why I think all this hoop-la is so stupid..

Mr. P said:
Butt-Head!!! Aren't you on a sunny beach?

sitting in a bar on a sunny beach watching nascar looking at half naked chicks drinking mai tais and fucking wif you....it just doesn't get any better.....and merry christmas

Forum List

Back