Memorial Thread for Merlin1047

Merlin (as he was known by most) joined the board on March 28, 2004. Almost instantly, he became known as a stalwart conservative. Ben's posting style was always up-front; he spoke his mind and let you know exactly how he felt on the topic du jour, regardless of who disagreed. Anyone who debated against him knew that Ben was sharp, knew his stuff, and refused to be swayed by mere rhetoric from either side. His common sense was quickly recognized by the board admins, and in October of 2004, he was made a moderator. His contributions have helped to shape the board into what it is today.

In May of 2005, the USMB found out that Merlin was diagnosed with leukimia. While his experiences with the hospital staff weren't always pleasant, he was optimistic about treatment. His posts about his encounters with various nurses and doctors in the midst of chemotherapy showed both his sense of humor and his desire to get through things, no matter how hard they got. Unfortunately, over half of leukemia patients lose their battle with the disease, and Merlin succumbed on September 11th, 2005. His courage in the face of a hard fight and long odds should be an encouragement to us all.

Throughout Merlin's tenure on the USMB, he was unafraid to talk about just about any topic, to include his faith. Many times, Merlin discussed his own relationship with God - confessing Jesus Christ as Lord, but not putting much trust in various denominations or the church as an institution. To Merlin, faith in God was as common sense as the sun setting in the west. As with everything else, he was unashamed of his beliefs, even though he was the first to admit that he didn't have all the answers, or an inside track on the truth. But, according to his faith in God, he could face death confidently, putting his trust in the promise found in John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Please feel free to post your own comments and rememberances about Merlin. Please do not use this thread as a 'discussion' thread. This is meant to be a rememberance thread. Please take discussions to other threads, or to PM.

I didn't know Merlin well at all, but what I did see of him, I liked him. (and handsome, too!). Jeff's description of Merlin could be a description of what I perceive as the very spirit of this board. God bless you, Merlin, and hold you in the palm of His hand.

I am afraid that I do not know the author of this poem, but it touched me, and reminds me that Merlin is truly at peace now.

I’m Free

Don’t grieve for me, for now I’m free
I’m following the path God has laid you see.
I took His hand when I heard him call
I turned my back and left it all.

I could not stay another day
To laugh, to love, to work, to play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way
I found that peace at the close of day.

If my parting has left a void
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss
Oh yes, these things I too will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life’s been full, I savored much
Good friends, good times, a loved one’s touch.

Perhaps my time seemed all too brief
Don’t lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your hearts and peace to thee
God wanted me now; He set me free.

gop_jeff said:
Please feel free at this time to post your own comments and rememberances about Merlin. Please do not use this thread as a 'discussion' thread. This is meant to be a rememberance thread. Please take discussions to other threads, or to PM.
Ben was just a nice guy. He was able to disagree with people, without being disagreeable. I always knew how proud and loyal he was to his family and his beliefs. As Jeff said, not 'traditionally' religous, but actions speak also.

When I heard about his being sick, I snapped off a pm to him right away, he wrote back the nicest note. I wish I had saved it. Well I'll miss him a lot, my heart goes out to his family, whom I will continue to keep in my prayers.

Words are hard...so..

People touch you sometimes without knowing it even happens.

He did touch me somehow, I feel like I knew him all my life. I’ll miss Ben.

This year I have lost two people I would count among online friends to leukemia. It consistently suprises me how attached you get to people online, how much they become part of your day. We will all miss Merlin1047, his wisdom, his knowledge, his powerful speech and humor...

I still occassionally expect him to jump in on some threads....

So long Merlin...

I miss Ben a lot too and his Canada jokes. We had some great debates and conversations and he always managed to make me laugh, while poking fun at me at the same time.

It pains me a great deal to know that he did take a serious turn for the worse and I was unable to drop an note and say hello one last time.

I must agree he was a hellava guy...Ben was...He even banned me for 24hrs...gotta admitt I deserved it! Was in one of my modes....he never held it against me though...life went on...a fair and just guy he was! I know God will let him fly free as he did serving our country.... way back when life was so simple and honest!

So Ben fly high and fly fast...you now have the wings of a angel!

The following poem is well known to aviators. Mr. P showed it to me and mentioned that it would be a fitting final tribute to an Army helicopter pilot.

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

— John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Well done, Ben. Be thou at peace.

gop_jeff said:
The following poem is well known to aviators. Mr. P showed it to me and mentioned that it would be a fitting final tribute to an Army helicopter pilot.

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

— John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Well done, Ben. Be thou at peace.

God speed from the 7th Air Cav...1965 VN...would not have regained the pride lost by Custers 7th Cav had it not been for "Chopper pilots"

Merlin, :salute:

You are wrapped in God's arm's now,and just know your great soul and spirit will be missed here on earth..
To Merlin's family, our prayer's are with you..

May you sleep eternal with the peace and solace of knowing you have touched many through your wisdom of life and truth in knowing your own way through the tribulations you have lived.

Peace be with your family and friends who have been touched by your words and heart.

Rest in peace, Ben.

So long, my friend. We enjoyed you so much. And although our time together was cruelly brief, you accomplished so very much. Our only comfort is that you're home now.

I will miss his wisdom and wit, and I know his family will miss those as well as his love and presence. I wish him well and I pray for his family and friends in their time of grief.

Take care, Ben. I know you're in a better place now. You went from looking over us in your shortened life to looking over us from above.

So long as this board exists you will always remain one of my moderators. I hope you'll check in from time to time. :)

Thank you Ben, for your contribution to this forum. As silly as it may seem, you've touched many lives; most of us you didn't meet in person. Godspeed to your family, and We'll see you soon, brother.

This goes out to my man Merlin....I've also lost a friend who had lukemia.

Forum List

Back