Memo notes U.S. feared jet attack prior to 9/11

insein said:
Fine i'll take the article at its word.

According to the article, in 1998, it was believed that Bin Laden would use civilian planes to attack the US. The memo does not define how. Here is the exact quote from the memo.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/Sept11_warning.pdf

The date of the memo again is 1998. So lets review. "Military passenger aircraft" got changed to civilian aircraft, attacking the US conviently left out the words embassy and Saudi Arabi and a "few weeks" got stretched into 3 years. Excellent shoddy reporting done by msnbc. I'd expect nothing less.

Furthermore, at the time the US policy on terrorism was to treat it as a police matter. Therefore the FBI would be in charge of handling a threat from any terrorist organization against the US.

I dont need an argument to combat someone who doesnt read their own articles.

heres a PDF of the memo where it clearly says bin laden might turn to civilian aircraft

Max Power said:
So, explain this:
"I don't think anybody could have predicted that they would try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile," said national security adviser Condoleeza Rice on May 16, 2002.

They couldnt imagine a plane being used as a missile. Whats there to explain? It had never been done before. To that point, planes were hijacked held hostage, and then threatened to be blown up. Now maybe someone thought of it in the CIA or Military but if they did, the communication wall created by Jamie Gorelick prevented the information from being shared throughout the intelligence community. Therefore President Clinton and newly elected President Bush did not have all the information they needed to prevent the disaster from happening. That speaks more of incompetence then conspiracy.

modulistic said:

heres a PDF of the memo where it clearly says bin laden might turn to civilian aircraft

your not too quick are you. I have that link in my post. It doesnt "clearly state" bin laden will do anything. It says that he made a threat on Saudi TV to attack saudi airlines and military passenger aircraft. However, in 1998, the embassy bombings by Bin Laden caused the US intelligence community to take the threat seriously and consider beefing up security on civilians aircrafts as well as military ones. In either case, it was 1998. It doesnt point directly to 9/11 and it doesnt explain the planes being used as weapons.

manu1959 said:
we have read the article....i have seen the tapes....osb declared war on the US....what's your point?....ms rice was parseing words big fucking deal....

you should google oplan bojinka (aka operation bojinka, project bojinka), a foiled plot for terrorists to hijack a plane load it with explosives and crash it into the CIA building in langley virginia, and then tell me nobody ever realized they would ever crash planes into buildings.

insein said:
your not too quick are you. I have that link in my post. It doesnt "clearly state" bin laden will do anything. It says that he made a threat on Saudi TV to attack saudi airlines and military passenger aircraft. However, in 1998, the embassy bombings by Bin Laden caused the US intelligence community to take the threat seriously and consider beefing up security on civilians aircrafts as well as military ones. In either case, it was 1998. It doesnt point directly to 9/11 and it doesnt explain the planes being used as weapons.

i reposted the pdf so you can read where it clearly says he might turn to civilian airliners

modulistic said:
you should google oplan bojinka (aka operation bojinka, project bojinka), a foiled plot for terrorists to hijack a plane load it with explosives and crash it into the CIA building in langley virginia, and then tell me nobody ever realized they would ever crash planes into buildings.

you are repeating yourself...i said i read the article....move on with your argument

modulistic said:

Well your argument is a poor one but lets just say its true. What do you specifically propose we do about it? Not "inform the people as best we can." Explain step by step what we need to do to correct this problem.

modulistic said:

i did...nothing about langley....

Oplan Bojinka, it was later learned, was a complex plan to bomb 11 US airliners over the Pacific Ocean as they traveled from Asia back to the United States. The plot would involve a team of five bombers who would travel on planes for a particular leg of their journey, plant the bomb, and then exit the plane at the next stop. Most of the bombers would later travel on separate routes back to Pakistan, where they would meet. The airplanes, however, would have a very different fate. As the planes journeyed to their next stops--in most cases the United States--the bombs would detonate, destroying the planes in mid-air. More than 4,000 people likely would have died had Oplan Bojinka been completed.

modulistic said:
i reposted the pdf so you can read where it clearly says he might turn to civilian airliners

please enligthen me then where it says Bin laden will turn towards civilian aricraft. Because all i see is a precaution against him possibly turning on civilian aricraft. Forgive me if i cant decipher the specific threat in there. I guess words like "no specific information" and "might" make me think this is all just a heads up on possible threats to be made in Saudi Arabi in 1998.

insein said:
Well your argument is a poor one but lets just say its true. What do you specifically propose we do about it? Not "inform the people as best we can." Explain step by step what we need to do to correct this problem.

you have to be a diehard conservative and face the hard fact that the president you (and I) voted for has borrowed and spent more than every single president before him combined.

you have to realize that the party system is absolutely broken, and start consentrating on local elections where you can actually influence the outcome, because local elections are where the true power is at.

then you have to get the truth out to everyone that president bush gained more from 911 than bin laden did. its an information war.

modulistic said:
you have to be a diehard conservative and face the hard fact that the president you (and I) voted for has borrowed and spent more than every single president before him combined.

Thats a stance against fiscal policy. WTF does that have to do with 9/11?

you have to realize that the party system is absolutely broken, and start consentrating on local elections where you can actually influence the outcome, because local elections are where the true power is at.

Local governments are more corrupt and harder to break then the federal one. Sure the federal one steals the headlines but the local ones steal your money with popular consent.

then you have to get the truth out to everyone that president bush gained more from 911 than bin laden did. its an information war.

If you mean by default. Since Bush lost 3000 American lives i cant say he really gained anything. Bin Laden has since lost his power, most of his major subordinates and more than likely his life. I still think thats breaking even if not gaining more for Bin laden since he believes he's getting 70 virgins to fuck for eternity.

insein said:
Thats a stance against fiscal policy. WTF does that have to do with 9/11?

you wanted me to tell you how to fix the govt. I have to prove to you that the system is broken and a farce.

the first step is showing that the current republican is the farthest thing from being a republican possible.

I wasnt trying to divert the argument.

Local governments are more corrupt and harder to break then the federal one. Sure the federal one steals the headlines but the local ones steal your money with popular consent.

that may be true, but we certainly have more a voice in a county sheriffs election than a congressional election

If you mean by default. Since Bush lost 3000 American lives i cant say he really gained anything. Bin Laden has since lost his power, most of his major subordinates and more than likely his life. I still think thats breaking even if not gaining more for Bin laden since he believes he's getting 70 virgins to fuck for eternity.

well, I mean more like how his populatity numbers soared and i think he would have had a much harder time getting re-elected if it werent for 911.

plus a lot of his agenda he was able to pass with flying colors, I would argue because of 911.

I dont know what the hell we are doing in iraq now that sadam is gone and wmds are gone, but bush knows what we are doing, and i suspect he wanted to do it before 911 too.

the patriot act was sitting on a shelf ready for the perfect political climate to enact it, and they literally dusted it off and passed it out for the congress to pass.

911 really helped bush policy out a lot.

modulistic said:
that may be true, but we certainly have more a voice in a county sheriffs election than a congressional election

I disagree. Local governments keep the same people in power because few people pay attention and the ones that do (unions) get something in return. You have a better shot of lobbying congress then you do of changing the minds of a corrupt local sheriff or mayor.

Forum List

Back