Medicare-for-All

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by sparky, May 11, 2011.

1. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    http://sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/news/?id=47d632b8-4a43-4d2b-b500-cb2c105e93ef

WASHINGTON, May 10 -- Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) announced today that he introduced legislation to provide health care for every American through a Medicare-for-all type single-payer system.

Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.) filed a companion bill in the House to provide better care for more patients at less cost by eliminating the middle-man role played by private insurance companies that rake off billions of dollars in profits.

The twin measures, both called the American Health Security Act of 2011, would provide federal guidelines and strong minimum standards for states to administer single-payer health care programs.

[​IMG]

2. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    I was skimming through the bill a bit last night. It's a very interesting contrast with the perennial single-payer bill, H.R. 676, which really is Medicare-for-all--that is, a single federal program that operates very much like Medicare. Sanders and McDermott, on the the other hand, are proposing this state-administered variant, so there would actually be (presumably) 51 single-payer programs, though I believe states do have the option of joining together to form multi-state systems if they wish.

So it really raises the question of, if you were going to have a single-payer system, would you want it administered at the federal level largely without state involvement, or would you want individual states to administer their own single-payer program? That is, it's the Medicare structure vs. Medicaid structure question.

Seems like it's usually taken for granted that it would just be a Medicare expansion and thus entirely federal. Very interesting that Sanders and McDermott have gone the other route and put states in charge in their proposal.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Isn't that how Canada's system is run, by each Province?

4. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Isn't MA going broke under the single payer system?

Just kidding, they got $15 billion of our dollars to keep it going instead of paying for it themselves or admitting it was a bad idea and dropping it.

I did csr work for a comany that did med sup part D. In an office of about 250, we each averaged 1 call a week were the customer told us that they were not dead.

Medicare declared them dead and cancelled thier insurance. told the cust to call us to take care of it, which is a lie, MC has to take care of it. Basically, the cust goes w/o any insurance for at least 3 months while they try to prove they are not dead.

Please tell me why you want to foist such a terribly run system on everyone.

5. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,930
    Sanders is a self-proclaimed communist. He will get little support. If the public option couldn't get through with a strong Democratic majority in both house and senate, why would anyone thing UHC could get through with a Republican House majority and slight majority in Senate?

6. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    He knows it won't fly.

this is just another; "see the gop is evul! They want to kill poor people." slanderous plan.

If he actually intended it, he would have used the momentum built for obama care months ago.

7. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Can somebody explain to me how we can implement a single payer system and keep the costs down? Provide care for many millions more people who can't pay for it, and have no incentive to not seek free treatment? We don't have enough doctors as it is, so aren't most people going to show up at emergency rooms for a common cold? Better than waiting 6 months to see a provider,right? How could we avoid the so-called death panels where a group of bureaucrats decide the criteria for who gets treatment and who doesn't? How many doctors and providers are gong to opt out of Medicare or retire altogether if this happens?

8. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    I'm still drawn to 'medicare plus'- revamping Medicare and opening it to all American adults who choose to enroll. Allowing younger, healthier individuals in would better spread risk and should bring down costs. Also, we need to ensure that various providers must compete for contracts and health care providers are able to purchase medications from the least expensive (verified) source

9. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Government run medicare is not based on age. Granted, most are seniors. But the government can't keep track of who is not dead yet, so there is no way they will be able to track who is what age.

10. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705

The more young and healthy folk you have in the system, the lower costs will be.
    There;s a reason for copays. Copays serve to disincentivize abuse by making there be an up-front cost to seeing a physician
    That is a problem stemming from our lack of investment in our people
    No, that;s what they do now, since they have no insurance.

Simple. Stop making shit up and being a retard.
    You mean like every single health insurance system ever?