Media Coverage of the Tsunami Aid

Adam's Apple said:
How many showed up when Florida was hit by four disasterous hurricanes this year? The U.S. will always be left alone to take care of its disasters. I wish it weren't true, but it is.

There were many offers of foreign assistance but the US declined as we are capable of handling this ourselves. It's not a good comparison.

This news I missed. Which countries offered? Can you provide me with a link? We should have taken them up on it, considering the size of our national debt. I see no reason not to accept help from other countries in our time of need when we have given so much help to other countries when they needed it. Probably would make the offering countries feel a whole lot better about the U.S. too.

Adam's Apple said:
This news I missed. Which countries offered? Can you provide me with a link? We should have taken them up on it, considering the size of our national debt. I see no reason not to accept help from other countries in our time of need when we have given so much help to other countries when they needed it. Probably would make the offering countries feel a whole lot better about the U.S. too.

I'll look for your link later but I can assure you that condolences and help was offered. It may have been a token gesture but we are talking about a theoretical here. The US simply does not need anywhere near the type of help that we are talking about in Asia and to doubt that we would be neglected is purely conjecture. " Assistance" many times also brings with it unwanted interference, spies and strings.

Media Winners & Losers

Mass Media ALL OVER lost big to blogs and the internet in general.

Anderson Cooper and CNN's many SE Asian correspodents are big winners here, they all showed talent we either didn't have a clue about or had really, really, good moments.

The coverage has been fairly good. I thought MSNBC & FOX highlighting "celebrity" victims for a few days there was shameless and disgusting, but I ignored them and gained newfound respect for CNN (at least on this issue)

Fox has gotten somewhat better lately, but they simply cannot compete now with CNN's vast team all over the place.

Seeing Dan Rather in a frigging flight suit was the first deep laugh of the week for a lot of folks here.

NATO AIR said:
Media Winners & Losers

Mass Media ALL OVER lost big to blogs and the internet in general.

Anderson Cooper and CNN's many SE Asian correspodents are big winners here, they all showed talent we either didn't have a clue about or had really, really, good moments.

The coverage has been fairly good. I thought MSNBC & FOX highlighting "celebrity" victims for a few days there was shameless and disgusting, but I ignored them and gained newfound respect for CNN (at least on this issue)

Fox has gotten somewhat better lately, but they simply cannot compete now with CNN's vast team all over the place.

Seeing Dan Rather in a frigging flight suit was the first deep laugh of the week for a lot of folks here.

I was a bit annoyed too at Fox's "highlighting" of celebrity victims. They are talking about others now,but I kept thinking-"why are their stories more important than everyone elses"? It was just as bad for everyone else.
Some horrible stories are coming out too now,like the Swedish boy that is believed to be kidnapped form a hospital. I just saw that people over there will sell children for money. I keep thinking about the kid. He survived the diaster only to be kidnapped by somebody with bad intentions.

krisy said:
I was a bit annoyed too at Fox's "highlighting" of celebrity victims. They are talking about others now,but I kept thinking-"why are their stories more important than everyone elses"? It was just as bad for everyone else.
Some horrible stories are coming out too now,like the Swedish boy that is believed to be kidnapped form a hospital. I just saw that people over there will sell children for money. I keep thinking about the kid. He survived the diaster only to be kidnapped by somebody with bad intentions.

yea, there are few good stories left to pass around now...

at the time of FOX & MSNBC's celebrity crap... i was just like "who gives a shit about jet li breaking his foot?" you'd get angry watching it

then you'd turn CNN on and see an interview with a mother who wanted to kill herself because she lost hold of her child in the wave...
you'd forget your anger and then just want to pray for that poor woman to find peace

i really think FOX & MSNBC misread all this... they thought americans would focus on this as some sort of distant tragedy and that all they could to keep the ratings up was to spice things up and throw some celebrities in there to keep us interested

when in reality, like 9/11, this was an event that came to affect all americans,and most around the world, in a profound, moving way.

NATO AIR said:
i really think FOX & MSNBC misread all this... they thought americans would focus on this as some sort of distant tragedy and that all they could to keep the ratings up was to spice things up and throw some celebrities in there to keep us interested

when in reality, like 9/11, this was an event that came to affect all americans,and most around the world, in a profound, moving way.

Fox is bending over backwards to prove America isn't stingy---that story ain't flying anymore.

dilloduck said:
I'll look for your link later but I can assure you that condolences and help was offered. It may have been a token gesture but we are talking about a theoretical here. The US simply does not need anywhere near the type of help that we are talking about in Asia and to doubt that we would be neglected is purely conjecture. " Assistance" many times also brings with it unwanted interference, spies and strings.

When you get some time, please look for the link. I am very interested in knowing what countries offered financial assistance to us following the Florida hurricanes. I'm not interested in the words of sympathy--all civil/genteel nations offer those. America is the expert on providing disaster aid, so I see no reason why, if any country offers us financial assistance, we should not accept it. We know enough about how to do this work that we could make sure there was no "unwanted interference, spies and strings", and it sure would help alleviate the strain on our already maxed out finances. Just my opinion, which is no better than your take on this issue.

E-U humanitarian official says tsunami aid may become "beauty contest"

http://www.kfvs12.com/global/story.asp?s=2768662&ClientType=Printable

JAKARTA, Indonesia Global contributions to tsunami relief funds have soared past three (b) billion dollars.

The U-N humanitarian chief calls the sums pledged "phenomenal."

But, the European Union's humanitarian commissioner says the escalating aid offers may become a "beauty contest," where nations compete for the title of biggest donor.

He says what's done on the ground is more important that what nations pledge in their outpouring of compassion.

The U-N humanitarian official says he'd "rather see competitive compassion than no compassion."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Can't win --Part II

dilloduck said:
E-U humanitarian official says tsunami aid may become "beauty contest"

http://www.kfvs12.com/global/story.asp?s=2768662&ClientType=Printable

JAKARTA, Indonesia Global contributions to tsunami relief funds have soared past three (b) billion dollars.

The U-N humanitarian chief calls the sums pledged "phenomenal."

But, the European Union's humanitarian commissioner says the escalating aid offers may become a "beauty contest," where nations compete for the title of biggest donor.

He says what's done on the ground is more important that what nations pledge in their outpouring of compassion.

The U-N humanitarian official says he'd "rather see competitive compassion than no compassion."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Can't win --Part II

Actually, it IS becoming a beauty contest. Think about it, now Australia and Germany have "donated" millions more that will be paid out over the next ten years. Hell, even with out a disaster we spend way more than that in that region over a ten year period all the time. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are doing it, but they had to stretch it over time to make it look like they are doing more than the USA. Probably so they can say, "hey America, if we can do this, you can do MORE!"

freeandfun1 said:
Actually, it IS becoming a beauty contest. Think about it, now Australia and Germany have "donated" millions more that will be paid out over the next ten years. Hell, even with out a disaster we spend way more than that in that region over a ten year period all the time. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are doing it, but they had to stretch it over time to make it look like they are doing more than the USA. Probably so they can say, "hey America, if we can do this, you can do MORE!"

I agree---while donating assistance to this (or any) disaster is an admirable expression of humans concern for fellow humans , the politicians, activist groups and the media can manage to turn it into some kind of reality show. What does the winner get? Worlds' Nicest Country? Giving should not be critiqued. Just acknowleged.

Forum List

Back