Media Coverage of the June 17th Charleston shooting (reference thread)

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
This is meant to be an adjunct thread to Bucs90's thread.

It makes it easier to get to the links to major news outlets more quickly, also to updates. These are links from all over the spectrum, from the middle to the extremes on both sides. I am publishing the links in random order - there is no method behind that, simply the next tab in my browser.

Mass Shooting at Historic Black Church in Charleston SC

Charleston church shooting 9 deaths reported - CNN.com

Nine killed in shooting at South Carolina church gunman still at large Fox News

A hate crime Nine people killed in attack at historic African-American South Carolina church

9 Dead in Charleston South Carolina Church Shooting Shooter at Large - ABC News

9 dead in hate crime shooting at prayer meeting at historic Charleston African American church - The Washington Post

Nine Killed at Historic Emanuel Church in Charleston South Carolina - NBC News

(The Police Chief's announcement and the Mayor's word on the shooting can be found in the video at the NBC link, it is worth watching, imo)

White man fatally shoots 9 in historic black church in Charleston South Carolina - Washington Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/u...ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Charleston Church Shooting 9 Dead At Historic Black Church

Pastor 8 others fatally shot at church in Charleston SC - AP News 6 18 2015 3 36 AM

Charleston shooting Nine killed at African-American church

It is rare that such a shooting makes it's way into German media, but it has been on the front page of major German media everywhere:

Angriff auf afroamerikanische Gemeinde Charleston im Schockzustand tagesschau.de

Charleston unter Schock Schie erei in Kirche Verbrechen aus Hass - heute-Nachrichten

Amoklauf in Charleston Neun Tote in der heiligen Stadt - DIE WELT

Amoklauf in Charleston Wei er erschie t neun Menschen in US-Kirche - N24.de

In the 2nd and 3rd posting, screenshots of today's coverage from yesterday's horrible, horrible shooting.

Dear mods: the entire purpose of the thread is simply to make links to all major media available to the USMB membership without everyone having to search each time. Most of these links also have updates or update links in them. If you blend this thread into Bucs90's thread, then you just make it hard for people to find the links, which is contra to the purpose of the thread itself.. After the third posting, if you want, then feel free to close the thread if you wish, it will have then served it's purpose. Or, you can leave it open and I can add other updates later.

Thanks,

Stat

One thing is for sure: media coverage of this has been universal across the spectrum.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Screenshots from major American media, from across the entire spectrum:

2015-06-018 Newsheadlines ABC.png
2015-06-018 Newsheadlines CBS.png
2015-06-018 Newsheadlines CNN.png
2015-06-018 Newsheadlines FOX.png
2015-06-018 Newsheadlines Huffpo.png
2015-06-018 Newsheadlines KOS.png
2015-06-018 Newsheadlines NBC.png
2015-06-018 Newsheadlines NYT.png
2015-06-018 Newsheadlines Townhall.png
2015-06-018 Newsheadlines TPM.png
2015-06-018 Newsheadlines WA TIMES.png
2015-06-018 Newsheadlines WAPO.png

• Banned
Also, my personal RIP for all nine individuals who lost their lives in this heinious crime against humanity.

I hope that the perp is caught quickly and brought to justice, which is the hope I have every time something terrible like this happens.

Last edited:
Also, my personal RIP for all nine individuals who lost their lives in this heinious crime against humanity.

I hope that the perp is caught quickly and brought to justice, which is the hope I have every time something terrible like this happens.
“I’m heartbroken,” said Shona Holmes, 28, a bystander at the aftermath of the shooting. “It’s just hurtful to think that someone would come in and shoot people in a church. If you’re not safe in church, where are you safe?”

That's a darn good question.

• Banned

“I’m heartbroken,” said Shona Holmes, 28, a bystander at the aftermath of the shooting. “It’s just hurtful to think that someone would come in and shoot people in a church. If you’re not safe in church, where are you safe?”

That's a darn good question.

Yes, indeed, I think that's a very good question.

There is no justification for violating the sanctity of any holy place of any religion IMO.

If you have a beef then take it outside but inside it is supposed to be neutral ground.

Churches used to give sanctuary in the past and to take that away is a whole different level of crime against humanity.

It was condemned as a war crime when civilians were killed who were seeking sanctuary in churches.

Now we see it happening right here and there isn't even a war to justify it.

Yes, I am an atheist but the principle of churches being a sanctuary should never be violated IMO.

Just saw the coverage on three networks: CNN, Fox and MSNBC. Was flipping around while Maddow's show was on. CNN and Fox both showed the full face shots of the suspected shooter. On Maddow's show his face was blurred out.
Anyone know why on her show he was blurred? Thought it was weird.

Just saw the coverage on three networks: CNN, Fox and MSNBC. Was flipping around while Maddow's show was on. CNN and Fox both showed the full face shots of the suspected shooter. On Maddow's show his face was blurred out.
Anyone know why on her show he was blurred? Thought it was weird.

Nice try at a sideswipe, but that's not really the jist of this thread.

I could take the same tack and note that while all the other major outlets - on their front pages, as this terrible story was breaking made sure to mention that the perp that was being searched for was white. But FOX did not.

Why did FOX not do that?

The evidence is above, in the screenshots...

There is no justification for violating the sanctity of any holy place of any religion IMO.

If you have a beef then take it outside but inside it is supposed to be neutral ground.

Churches used to give sanctuary in the past and to take that away is a whole different level of crime against humanity.

It was condemned as a war crime when civilians were killed who were seeking sanctuary in churches.

Yes, I am an atheist but the principle of churches being a sanctuary should never be violated IMO.
Muslims blow up places of worship incessantly. It's practically ubiquitous.

Still missing the specific point of this thread, what?

Still missing the specific point of this thread, what?
I was responding to an athiest's take on this slaughter as though it's something new from an atheist's POV.

Forum List

Back