McDonald's serves up verbal abuse to Deputy!

Quit going to the same McDonald's. :cuckoo:

As far as your experience, write a letter to the Restaurant owner. I've done it before (WITH MCDONALDS) and gotten excellent results.

I think you're missing it. I have been repeatedly turned down for jobs because I did not speak Spanish at places that did not require their other employees to speak English. It does happen. Americans are forced to know how to speak foreign languages in order to work mundane jobs, like fast food, retail, grocery stores, and others, while those very same employers do require their employees to know how to speak our language. Kinda screwed up, donchathink?

It is your responsibility to have the skills employers want. If it affects your employability, why don't you learn Spanish?

As far as the employer, it's their right to require their employers to be bilingual if they want them to be.

That's the thing, they don't require their employees to be bilingual. They require Spanish language ability, and dismiss English speaking ability.

Let me ask you this? What's wrong with learning another language? Seems to me if you want to compete in the job market then you do what it takes.

Nothing is wrong with learning another language. That's why it is perfectly reasonable to demand that immigrants learn OUR language if they want to live in OUR country. Of course, learning a foreign language is not necessarily easy. I've made several attempts at it myself, with several different languages. Not all people can learn a foreign language, and not all people can learn every language. In HS I discovered that my ability to learn Spanish would, at best, be limited to reading and minimal speaking, my ability to learn French simply did not exist, and that my ability to learn Latin comfortably covered reading and could potentially include speaking (theoretically) were it not a dead language. After HS I realized that my ability to learn German could possibly include speaking, but only if with the aid of a teacher who could speak the language clearly. And I learned that Dutch, for some reason, came somewhat naturally to me, and I was able to study that language largely on my own for about two years, until I didn't have the time anymore ("gekaap' is Dutch for "crazy monkey").

The question comes down to this: What is the best way to structure things for OUR citizens? Is it more effective to allow a foreign country to influence sections of OUR country such that being bilingual becomes necessary in order for people to hold the most basic jobs, like working in fast food, as a grocery store cashier, a gas station clerk, etc? Or, is our society served better by adopting public policies that formally recognize our nation's language, and that protect our people from being disadvantaged for speaking our language while foreigners who do not speak our language are rewarded.

Will learning Spanish make you dumber?

Well, to be honest, learning Mexican might make me dumber, seeing as their usage of "Spanish" is rather atrocious.

Will learning to speak spanish darken your skin?

My skin is already plenty dark, seeing as I'm Hispanic.

Will it help you pick up some sexy senoritas? Possibly.

I wouldn't want to promote anchor baby exploitation. ;)

For the most part, English already is the national language. We don't need a proclamation? Having it as an "offical" langauge won't chang any of this. The government can't stomp on peoples' freedom of speech by requiring them to speak another langauge.

I don't think that there needs to be any requirement for people to speak any given language in public or anything like that. But there are schools in this country that operate in Spanish in order to accommodate the immigrant children, some of whom are children here illegally, while citizens who do not speak Spanish are left behind. We have companies that discriminate against citizens for basic jobs, because those citizens do not speak a foreign language. These kinds of things are harmful to our people, and adopting public policies that promote and require usage of our nation's language in matters of education, and that prohibit discrimination against people for employment in basic jobs, will serve American citizens.

Last edited:
Some companies require you to learn a certain computer language to be employed
Others require you to learn the Spanish language

It is up to you to change, not the companies

As far as the employer, it's their right to require their employers to be bilingual if they want them to be.

That's the thing, they don't require their employees to be bilingual. They require Spanish language ability, and dismiss English speaking ability.

Let me ask you this? What's wrong with learning another language? Seems to me if you want to compete in the job market then you do what it takes.

Nothing is wrong with learning another language. That's why it is perfectly reasonable to demand that immigrants learn OUR language if they want to live in OUR country. Of course, learning a foreign language is not necessarily easy. I've made several attempts at it myself, with several different languages. Not all people can learn a foreign language, and not all people can learn every language. In HS I discovered that my ability to learn Spanish would, at best, be limited to reading and minimal speaking, my ability to learn French simply did not exist, and that my ability to learn Latin comfortably covered reading and could potentially include speaking (theoretically) were it not a dead language. After HS I realized that my ability to learn German could possibly include speaking, but only if with the aid of a teacher who could speak the language clearly. And I learned that Dutch, for some reason, came somewhat naturally to me, and I was able to study that language largely on my own for about two years, until I didn't have the time anymore ("gekaap' is Dutch for "crazy monkey").

The question comes down to this: What is the best way to structure things for OUR citizens? Is it more effective to allow a foreign country to influence sections of OUR country such that being bilingual becomes necessary in order for people to hold the most basic jobs, like working in fast food, as a grocery store cashier, a gas station clerk, etc? Or, is our society served better by adopting public policies that formally recognize our nation's language, and that protect our people from being disadvantaged for speaking our language while foreigners who do not speak our language are rewarded.

Well, to be honest, learning Mexican might make me dumber, seeing as their usage of "Spanish" is rather atrocious.

My skin is already plenty dark, seeing as I'm Hispanic.

Will it help you pick up some sexy senoritas? Possibly.

I wouldn't want to promote anchor baby exploitation. ;)

For the most part, English already is the national language. We don't need a proclamation? Having it as an "offical" langauge won't chang any of this. The government can't stomp on peoples' freedom of speech by requiring them to speak another langauge.

I don't think that there needs to be any requirement for people to speak any given language in public or anything like that. But there are schools in this country that operate in Spanish in order to accommodate the immigrant children, some of whom are children here illegally, while citizens who do not speak Spanish are left behind. We have companies that discriminate against citizens for basic jobs, because those citizens do not speak a foreign language. These kinds of things are harmful to our people, and adopting public policies that promote and require usage of our nation's language in matters of education, and that prohibit discrimination against people for employment in basic jobs, will serve American citizens.

They may require them to speak spanish under the assumption that they also speak English as well. I have never been to any place of business where someone did not speak any English, short of a few Mexican food restaurants that most white folks don't go.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't enjoy trying to communicate with someone in that situation, however...I just haven't experienced what you have. I know there are plenty of illegals around where I live and I haven't had any problem not being able to communicate at McDonalds or any other business.

Computer knowledge is a skill directly attributable to the job at hand. And since the idea of a "computer language" is an idiom, your comparison fails as equivocation.

Working in a fast food job has no special need for all employees to speak a foreign language, especially while disregarding an ability to speak English, unless the business is to assume that all residents are immigrants, or the business plans to only provide service to immigrants while refusing to serve citizens who do not speak the foreign language. If this kind of thinking is not beneficial to our country, and is discriminatory against our citizens based on their nationality.

Computer knowledge is a skill directly attributable to the job at hand. And since the idea of a "computer language" is an idiom, your comparison fails as equivocation.

Working in a fast food job has no special need for all employees to speak a foreign language, especially while disregarding an ability to speak English, unless the business is to assume that all residents are immigrants, or the business plans to only provide service to immigrants while refusing to serve citizens who do not speak the foreign language. If this kind of thinking is not beneficial to our country, and is discriminatory against our citizens based on their nationality.

Workers need to meet the needs of the customer base. If that base speaks Chinese, workers need to speak Chinese. It is up to the business to decide what the job requirements are.....not rejected employees

What do you want? Some kind of nanny state?

They may require them to speak spanish under the assumption that they also speak English as well. I have never been to any place of business where someone did not speak any English, short of a few Mexican food restaurants that most white folks don't go.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't enjoy trying to communicate with someone in that situation, however...I just haven't experienced what you have. I know there are plenty of illegals around where I live and I haven't had any problem not being able to communicate at McDonalds or any other business.

If it were simply a situation of business wanting to have some Spanish speakers in order to accommodate immigrant elements of the populace that would be fine IMO, as long as the demand for the employer puts on foreign language speakers is not too strong. As a basic guideline would say that AT MOST, 50% of employees in menial lines of work that directly interact with customers should be hireable as bilingual, and that any position not generally requiring customer interaction should not entail any requirement to speak a foreign language.

Fun fact: Not long after moving to San Antonio, I applied for a part time telecommunications job with a company that took incoming calls from the entire nation. Before applying, I learned that the company paid extra for bilingual employees, and that instead of requiring fluency they only required conversation ability. Since, back then, I was still up on my Dutch, I applied and billed myself as bilingual with conversational ability on Dutch. After being hired the company refused to pay me the additional bilingual rate because they only counted Spanish as being bilingual, and I also found out that people could be hired as Spanish speakers who ONLY spoke one language, and still be paid the additional bilingual rate. Now, I'm not doubting that my Dutch abilities were pretty much irrelevant, considering that after traveling across half of our country I've never once encountered a person who spoke only Dutch. And I don't disagree with truly bilingual employees being offered a premium rate, and only when it's a language that is likely to be encountered, because it is a skill that was directly beneficial to the job. But there are areas of our country, increasingly more areas, where being a natural born citizen is increasingly a disadvantage. It's not a simple problem with a simple fix, and officially establishing an official language with other public policy regarding what place that language should have in society would be part of a multi-step process to roll back that disadvantage.

So some other officers caught 4 illegals at the McDonalds charged with identity theft and some of the reminaing hispanics cursed out some other officers that came in? They should be fired.
Clase closed no reason for false outrage or racist crap, etc.

Much ado about nothing.

Just fodder for fear and hate mongers.

So THAT'S why you're here!

Workers need to meet the needs of the customer base. If that base speaks Chinese, workers need to speak Chinese. It is up to the business to decide what the job requirements are.....not rejected employees

So, you're saying that in order to get a job, American citizens should have to meet the needs of illegal immigrants? Or that American immigration policies should allow for citizens to be forced to "change" so that they can meet the needs of foreigners? That's the problem. We keep putting others first ahead of our own people.

If it were simply a situation of business wanting to have some Spanish speakers in order to accommodate immigrant elements of the populace that would be fine IMO, as long as the demand for the employer puts on foreign language speakers is not too strong. As a basic guideline would say that AT MOST, 50% of employees in menial lines of work that directly interact with customers should be hireable as bilingual, and that any position not generally requiring customer interaction should not entail any requirement to speak a foreign language.

Fun fact: Not long after moving to San Antonio, I applied for a part time telecommunications job with a company that took incoming calls from the entire nation. Before applying, I learned that the company paid extra for bilingual employees, and that instead of requiring fluency they only required conversation ability. Since, back then, I was still up on my Dutch, I applied and billed myself as bilingual with conversational ability on Dutch. After being hired the company refused to pay me the additional bilingual rate because they only counted Spanish as being bilingual, and I also found out that people could be hired as Spanish speakers who ONLY spoke one language, and still be paid the additional bilingual rate. Now, I'm not doubting that my Dutch abilities were pretty much irrelevant, considering that after traveling across half of our country I've never once encountered a person who spoke only Dutch. And I don't disagree with truly bilingual employees being offered a premium rate, and only when it's a language that is likely to be encountered, because it is a skill that was directly beneficial to the job. But there are areas of our country, increasingly more areas, where being a natural born citizen is increasingly a disadvantage. It's not a simple problem with a simple fix, and officially establishing an official language with other public policy regarding what place that language should have in society would be part of a multi-step process to roll back that disadvantage.

That is a fun fact!!

I encourage everybody to mark "American Indian" on any application that asks *race*.

So wait? Some people are upset that employers want them to know or learn Spanish? Sounds like some people don't like the free market.

This story in this thread is more of a non-issue than anything. If I'm going to blame someone for this situation, I'm going to blame the company that hired the illegal immigrants in the first place, not the people trying to make a decent living to support themselves and their families.

Furthermore, I find it astounding that in one breath the same people who argue against minimum wage also talk about how wrong it is for companies to hire illegals under the table or officially. They're willing to work for far less than what other people would under the table or officially. Again, free market once again at play folks. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

So wait? Some people are upset that employers want them to know or learn Spanish? Sounds like some people don't like the free market.

Actually, what I find distasteful is that a foreign language can be held as a requirement to work in my own country, while all at the same time our country's language can be dismissed and necessary.

We'll just have to agree to disagree because this is obviously opinions (from both of us) based on experience. I have not experienced nor known anyone personally that has experienced this. And that was a great fun fact! (not saracasm)

Last edited:

So, you're saying that in order to get a job, American citizens should have to meet the needs of illegal immigrants? Or that American immigration policies should allow for citizens to be forced to "change" so that they can meet the needs of foreigners? That's the problem. We keep putting others first ahead of our own people.

Employers get to set the rules based on where they make their money. There are no laws against serving burgers to illegal aliens

Forum List

Back