McChrystal Says He's Talked With Obama Once Since Taking Afghanistan Command

We had no training formations available at the division level in the U.S. we were still committed against Japan, the first atomic bomb would be tested two and a half months later (meaning we did not know if it would work or not), and the Soviet armed forces were in far shape than I think you realize, and they had quite a few training formations to the east.

I agree with you 100% that FDR trusted Uncle Joe far more than he should have. I don't think Winston Churchill trusted him at all.

He didn't at first. I remember reading a quote because he believed he could trust Stalin and poor Neville (Chamberlin) had been bamboozled by Hitler.

The Soviet Forces had suffered major losses and if given a couple months, the U.S. could of been prepared in taking out the USSR. Remember, it was the Russians who lost the most people in the war. Besides, I believe it was similar to Hitler where if you had taken out Stalin, then the Soviet Union would of been in confusion and perhaps ruin.

Perhaps, but I don't think so. Anyhow, here is a thought for us. We lost about 6000 dead and wounded at Normandy on D-day. The Eastern Front was D-day every day from 22 June 1941 when the Germans invaded Russia until the end of the war. One of the reasons I liked "Enemy at the Gates" were the brief scenes showing the vastness of the battle.

We had no training formations available at the division level in the U.S. we were still committed against Japan, the first atomic bomb would be tested two and a half months later (meaning we did not know if it would work or not), and the Soviet armed forces were in far shape than I think you realize, and they had quite a few training formations to the east.

I agree with you 100% that FDR trusted Uncle Joe far more than he should have. I don't think Winston Churchill trusted him at all.

He didn't at first. I remember reading a quote because he believed he could trust Stalin and poor Neville (Chamberlin) had been bamboozled by Hitler.

The Soviet Forces had suffered major losses and if given a couple months, the U.S. could of been prepared in taking out the USSR. Remember, it was the Russians who lost the most people in the war. Besides, I believe it was similar to Hitler where if you had taken out Stalin, then the Soviet Union would of been in confusion and perhaps ruin.

Perhaps, but I don't think so. Anyhow, here is a thought for us. We lost about 6000 dead and wounded at Normandy on D-day. The Eastern Front was D-day every day from 22 June 1941 when the Germans invaded Russia until the end of the war. One of the reasons I liked "Enemy at the Gates" were the brief scenes showing the vastness of the battle.

At Omaha Beach 39 DD Tanks were sent in in rough seas, on the first wave, 37 sunk before reaching shore, 1 was left functional. That beach took the worst of everything with no big guns in line of sight to fire back, at fortified positions. Sometimes, what can go wrong will.

That is true, a general like Patton would have been canned quicker than a bluefin tuna into todays hyper-partisan atmosphere.
hell, that time he slapped the soldier they would have called for congressional investigations and a court martial

He was my favorite WWII General.

By far, second to none.....

maine lost the point, we had the most successful United States field commander of any war tell his superiors what needed to be done.......history proved he was correct......Obama speaking directly to McChrystal seams to be a violation to the left, sounds more like an excuse that he doesn't know how to lead during War time.... :eusa_boohoo:

hell, that time he slapped the soldier they would have called for congressional investigations and a court martial

maine lost the point, we had the most successful United States field commander of any war tell his superiors what needed to be done.......history proved he was correct......Obama speaking directly to McChrystal seams to be a violation to the left, sounds more like an excuse that he doesn't know how to lead during War time.... :eusa_boohoo:
no, sctually, history proved he was wrong
they were defeated and we didnt lose a single soldier in the process

Can you clarify that?

Can you clarify that?
does the Soviet Union exist today? NO

how many US Soldiers died to make that happen? ZERO

cant get much clearer than that

Can you clarify that?

Good point and a good result. But the consequence of is that the world collectively has more WMD than could ever be used.

Can you clarify that?

The smartest thing we ever did, was to realize that the Soviet Union would implode on itself with it's own skewed economic model.

It might not have been deliberate, but either way, it worked. Once the Soviets acquired the bomb, they were immune from attack. That is why Iran wants the bomb.

The only time we could have really attacked the Soviets to try and destroy them would have been right after World War II. That would have required and Army and nation that had already been at war for four-five years to enter into a massively bloody conflict with it's own ally.

I wonder if Patton considered that possibility that his advance on Moscow might meet the same fate as Napoleon and Hitler?

It's irrelevant. It was a terrible idea, and that is why Marshall, and not Patton, was running the whole show. We've had few Generals (if any) that were as good as seeing the political ramifications of combat as Marshall. Truly an unsung talent of World War II.

I don't now when we became a nation of "military interventionists", but it's annoying. That is not what we were founded upon.

Dive, no it didn't......

"Officially, the period of the Cold War was from 1945-1991 and should include the 33,741 Battle deaths of Korea and the 47,424 Battle deaths of Vietnam for a grand total of 81,547 US Service members killed by hostile fire during the Cold War"

"I was under the impression that presidents Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and Ford thought that the military interventions on their watch were part of fighting the cold war"

"The VFW, in their book Cold War Clashes: Confronting Communism, 1945-1991, document 382 American servicemen killed by hostile fire during the "cold" portion of the Cold War. That number is of unclassified and documented deaths, and it does not include training/operational deaths or the deaths during the Korean Police Action or the Vietnam Conflict. Also, that number does not include civilian deaths due to the Cold War or intelligence personnel killed.

To put the 382 casualty number in perspective, the Spanish American War had 385 "Battle deaths" and there were 147 "Battle deaths" during the Gulf War (1990-1991). So, the "cold" portion of the Cold War had 3 fewer unclassified US service member deaths than the Spanish American War and more than double the casualties of the Gulf War. "

Didnt Obama say Afghanistan was the right war? If he thought it was such an honorable war to fight, why hasn't he spent more time addressing it?

Just another lie exposed.

Yep. And so did the rest of the Left when they said Iraq would fail, and Afghanistan was the 'right war'.

But now Their lies are indeed exposed when Obama cannot make a decision...he KNOWS whathas to be done...and he's draggin his feet waiting to be 'advised' by his handlers.

And his handlers on the Extreme left say we should 'Get OUT'. (The very same that said that Afghanistan was the 'Right' War during Bush).

Belive me? GENERAL McChrystal laid in on the line to him. Will obama take the actual Commander's advice? Or will he RUN?

Obama's history of beliefs dictate the latter.

Dive, no it didn't......

"Officially, the period of the Cold War was from 1945-1991 and should include the 33,741 Battle deaths of Korea and the 47,424 Battle deaths of Vietnam for a grand total of 81,547 US Service members killed by hostile fire during the Cold War"

"I was under the impression that presidents Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and Ford thought that the military interventions on their watch were part of fighting the cold war"

"The VFW, in their book Cold War Clashes: Confronting Communism, 1945-1991, document 382 American servicemen killed by hostile fire during the "cold" portion of the Cold War. That number is of unclassified and documented deaths, and it does not include training/operational deaths or the deaths during the Korean Police Action or the Vietnam Conflict. Also, that number does not include civilian deaths due to the Cold War or intelligence personnel killed.

To put the 382 casualty number in perspective, the Spanish American War had 385 "Battle deaths" and there were 147 "Battle deaths" during the Gulf War (1990-1991). So, the "cold" portion of the Cold War had 3 fewer unclassified US service member deaths than the Spanish American War and more than double the casualties of the Gulf War. "

I tend to agree with this assertion. (Sorry Dive). But the 'Cold War' was one of proxies fought by us, our support of Democracies around the world, and that of the Soviets/Chicoms in defense of Communism.

The Cold war is said to be WWIII. And I subscribe to that thought as well when you put those 'Proxies' into perspective and their meaning.

We are in the Midst of WWIV, which is the War on Global Jhihadist Terrorists.

Can you clarify that?

Yes. It does Exist.

I'm sure It's clasified.

Yes You Can.

The smartest thing we ever did, was to realize that the Soviet Union would implode on itself with it's own skewed economic model.
Appearances can be deceiving.

It might not have been deliberate, but either way, it worked. Once the Soviets acquired the bomb, they were immune from attack. That is why Iran wants the bomb.
I think that the reason Iran wants the bomb is to trigger the Last Battle. They tell us that all the time on the community television shows that the cable companies are required to run. Try watching sometime.

The only time we could have really attacked the Soviets to try and destroy them would have been right after World War II. That would have required and Army and nation that had already been at war for four-five years to enter into a massively bloody conflict with it's own ally.

The only thing Hitler got right was the Soviet threat.

I wonder if Patton considered that possibility that his advance on Moscow might meet the same fate as Napoleon and Hitler?
I think that would have depended on what time of year it was started?

It's irrelevant. It was a terrible idea, and that is why Marshall, and not Patton, was running the whole show. We've had few Generals (if any) that were as good as seeing the political ramifications of combat as Marshall. Truly an unsung talent of World War II.

Patton lacked in People Skills, he had little interest in diplomacy or feelings. What he lacked there, he exceeded in combat skills.

I don't now when we became a nation of "military interventionists", but it's annoying. That is not what we were founded upon.

There I agree with You. Don't start anything You are not committed to finishing. Don't stop until the goal is achieved.

Forum List

Back