McCain picks Sarah Palin

According to what I've been reading, Palin stood up against some fierce opponents in her debates for governor. They were said to be "attack dog style debaters" much like Biden, and she apparently "fileted" them.

Also, with Biden's tendency to go for the jugular, it will backfire on him to do so to a woman, much like he did when he attacked Clinton's personal life.

I'm still skeptical about her experience, but I like this woman. She's definitely got a future in the Republican party.

This is really how it all came about .....

G.W. is sitting in his office last night thinking (I know - hard to belive but he was). "hmmmn! What can I do to make myself look less stupid? I GOT IT!!" :lol:

G.W. picks up the phone and calls his patsy McCain ...

"Hey, John! Get that Governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin to be your running mate. It's a win-win situtation!!!"

McCain answers .... "Who is Sarah Palin" :confused:

And of coarse McCain listented to his loyal friend and fell for it! :cuckoo:

I'd say she is a safe pick. Doesn't help or hurt MCain, which is about what you want from a VP in this case. Hillary supporters are not going to flock to this anti-choice women

you assume that the disenfranchised Hillary voters were only supporting her based on her gender and not based on the belief of her ideas.

Also all the things that you think are selling points to the Dems will work against her in her own party. Standing up to the very people who line the pockets of the fat cats won't go over well and the fact that she supports gay couples rights is in direct contrast to McCain's position and the Republican right wing Christian thinking. How will she sell that to the party?

I suppose she can backpeddle and go against all the things she believed in before this nomination just like McCain has done.

Not to mention she's currently embroiled in a scandal of her own involving corruption and favoritisim which is a stink the Republican ticket can't afford to have attached to them.

She doesn't have to backpeddle. Who wants a VP that agrees with them 100% on everything? The VP is supposed to bring a different view to the ticket. Palin certainly does that.

But, from what I've read, Repubs like this woman.

You know the Democrats have already run a female VP, right?

Im not talking about ground breaking female vice presidency im talking about how picking a female to run for a republican vice presidency during the Obama Change campaign makes it a little tougher for the dems.

This is really how it all came about .....

G.W. is sitting in his office last night thinking (I know - hard to belive but he was). "hmmmn! What can I do to make myself look less stupid? I GOT IT!!" :lol:

G.W. picks up the phone and calls his patsy McCain ...

"Hey, John! Get that Governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin to be your running mate. It's a win-win situtation!!!"

McCain answers .... "Who is Sarah Palin" :confused:

And of coarse McCain listented to his loyal friend and fell for it! :cuckoo:

Scared, ain't ya ! A woman is going to be running under the GOP banner. You should be.

Who knows how Palin and Biden will do in the debates, but furthermore, who cares?

I still remember Lloyd Bentson handing Quayle his ass on a platter. Remember how that one turned out on election day? :eusa_whistle:

I'd say she is a safe pick. Doesn't help or hurt MCain, which is about what you want from a VP in this case. Hillary supporters are not going to flock to this anti-choice women

Actually, I think you're wrong. McCainocrats are going to like this woman, a LOT.

For those Democrats who are considering abandoning the Obama ticket (primarily disillusioned Clinton supporters), Palin represents the final push into the Republican camp. Not only is she a woman (which, like it or not, is an issue for some voters), but she also puts a fresh, future-oriented face on the McCain campaign. By upending Alaska’s corrupt political class, Palin has actually produced the type of change that Barack Obama can only talk about; and her collar is far bluer than Joe Biden’s ever was. Furthermore, she is arguably the only candidate who has the necessary expertise to address the single most pressing issue in this election: gas prices. As Governor of Alaska, Chair of the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission (America’s largest interstate organization), and a former Chair of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, Sarah Palin can run rings around almost anyone when it comes to oil.

Draft Sarah Palin For Vice President

I know it's a blog, but this person has followed Palin very closely. There's a lot of good information on that. It's biased, but it's not rabid fanboy bias like Obama bloggers post.

you assume that the disenfranchised Hillary voters were only supporting her based on her gender and not based on the belief of her ideas.

Also all the things that you think are selling points to the Dems will work against her in her own party. Standing up to the very people who line the pockets of the fat cats won't go over well and the fact that she supports gay couples rights is in direct contrast to McCain's position and the Republican right wing Christian thinking. How will she sell that to the party?

I suppose she can backpeddle and go against all the things she believed in before this nomination just like McCain has done.

Not to mention she's currently embroiled in a scandal of her own involving corruption and favoritisim which is a stink the Republican ticket can't afford to have attached to them.

Um... no... but SOME probably WERE supporting change with a woman candidate... just as it has been shown that many African Americans support Obama because he is African American...

It was more meant that many are not happy with Obama as the choice... and having a woman who is considered a maverick, who is not afraid to cross party lines in her history, and has a history of battling 'the old GOP leadership' in her own state... this could be appealing enough to draw some crucial votes...

As for her "scandal"... it is hardly anything and she seems on the up and up with a complete explaination
Commissioner dismissal

On July 11, 2008, Governor Palin dismissed Walter Monegan as Commissioner of Public Safety and instead offered him a position as executive director of the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, which he subsequently turned down.[42][43] Monegan alleged shortly after his dismissal that it may have been partly due to his reluctance to fire an Alaska State Trooper, Mike Wooten, who had been involved in a divorce and child custody battle with Palin's sister, Molly McCann.[44] In 2006, before Palin was governor, Wooten was briefly suspended for ten days for threatening to kill McCann's (and Palin's) father, tasering his 11-year-old stepson (at the stepson's request), and violating game laws. After a union protest, the suspension was reduced to five days.[45]

Governor Palin asserts that her dismissal of Monegan was unrelated to the fact that he had not fired Wooten, and asserts that Monegan was instead dismissed for not adequately filling state trooper vacancies, and because he "did not turn out to be a team player on budgeting issues."[46] Palin acknowledges that a member of her administration, Frank Bailey, did contact the Department of Public Safety regarding Wooten, but both Palin and Bailey say that happened without her knowledge and was unrelated to her dismissal of Monegan.[46] Bailey was put on leave for two months for acting outside the scope of his authority as the Director of Boards and Commissions.

In response to Palin's statement that she had nothing to hide, in August 2008 the Alaska Legislature hired Steve Branchflower to investigate Palin and her staff for possible abuse of power surrounding the dismissal, though lawmakers acknowledge that "Monegan and other commissioners serve at will, meaning they can be fired by Palin at any time."[47] The investigation is being overseen by Democratic State Senator Hollis French, who says that the Palin administration has been cooperating and thus subpoenas are unnecessary.[48] The Palin administration itself was the first to release an audiotape of Bailey making inquiries about the status of the Wooten investigation.[46][49]

Wooten and the police union alleged that the governor had improperly released his employment files in his divorce case. However, McCann's attorney released a signed waiver from Wooten demonstrating that Wooten had authorized the release of his files through normal discovery procedures.[50][51]

Sarah Palin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, I think you're wrong. McCainocrats are going to like this woman, a LOT.

Draft Sarah Palin For Vice President

I know it's a blog, but this person has followed Palin very closely. There's a lot of good information on that. It's biased, but it's not rabid fanboy bias like Obama bloggers post.

I think you are seriously overestimating the impact of a VP pick to influence the election. Ya, she has a fresh face, but not much else

She's certainly the most attractive VP candidate I am familiar with in this race.

Beats the heck out of Biden in that department.

What's a fine looking woman like her doing in a dump like the Republican Party?

that worked out pretty well didn't it.....Ferraro & Mondale got whipped by Reagan....

Trust me, Palin is a LOT more compelling to women than Ferraro was. Palin is a mother of five, once a stay-at-home mom, now turned groundbreaking governor of what appears to have been a very corrupt state before she came along.

The McCain campaign just issued a statement:

"Governor Palin is a tough executive who has demonstrated during her time in office that she is ready to be president. She has brought Republicans and Democrats together within her Administration and has a record of delivering on the change and reform that we need in Washington.

"Governor Palin has challenged the influence of the big oil companies while fighting for the development of new energy resources. She leads a state that matters to every one of us -- Alaska has significant energy resources and she has been a leader in the fight to make America energy independent.

"In Alaska, Governor Palin challenged a corrupt system and passed a landmark ethics reform bill. She has actually used her veto and cut budgetary spending. She put a stop to the "bridge to nowhere" that would have cost taxpayers $400 million.

"As the head of Alaska's National Guard and as the mother of a soldier herself, Governor Palin understands what it takes to lead our nation and she understands the importance of supporting our troops.

"Governor Palin has the record of reform and bipartisanship that others can only speak of. Her experience in shaking up the status quo is exactly what is needed in Washington today."

You all are acting like the position of VP has no effect on the outcome of the election.

McCain just put a woman who has little or no experience in government a heart beat away from being the leader of the free world. Now the Republicians can spin this as being a smart move but behind the doors you know they are cussing his ass for making such an obviously desparate choice.

The Dems fired a shot across their bough last night with Obama's speech and McCain just blinked.

I think you are seriously overestimating the impact of a VP pick to influence the election. Ya, she has a fresh face, but not much else

In the case of John McCain, VP matters a lot. Since everyone assumes he's on his death bed, they need to know the country will be left in good hands.

I still say she's too inexperienced, but so far, I haven't read anything about her I haven't liked.

Plus, her past seems pretty squeaky clean.

Last edited:
You all are acting like the position of VP has no effect on the outcome of the election.

McCain just put a woman who has little or no experience in government a heart beat away from being the leader of the free world. Now the Republicians can spin this as being a smart move but behind the doors you know they are cussing his ass for making such an obviously desparate choice.

The Dems fired a shot across their bough last night with Obama's speech and McCain just blinked.

If she stinks up the debate with Biden this might be a disaster for McCain. But I still think people will be voting for Obama or McCain, not the second place people on the tickets

"As the head of Alaska's National Guard and as the mother of a soldier herself, Governor Palin understands what it takes to lead our nation and she understands the importance of supporting our troops.
"

how long until McCain is hauling out his own sons and their service in the military?

Does supporting our troops only include while they are away and fighting or should they be supported when the return home, injured, either mentally or physicially, and find that they have little or no support here because they are no longer useful in this adminstrations "war on terror"

Forum List

Back