McCain calls comments by Georgia Democrat 'shocking'

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Somebody forgot to reming the Distinguished Gentleman from Alabama that Wallace was a Democrat.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. John McCain called a statement by a Georgia congressman Saturday, which compared the feeling at recent Republican rallies to those of segregationist George Wallace, "a brazen and baseless attack."

Rep. John Lewis, D-Georgia, who has been praised by McCain in the past, issued his statement after several days of headline-grabbing anger aimed at Democratic nominee Barack Obama from some attendees at campaign rallies of McCain and running mate Gov. Sarah Palin.

"What I am seeing reminds me too much of another destructive period in American history. Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin are sowing the seeds of hatred and division, and there is no need for this hostility in our political discourse," Lewis said in a statement.

"George Wallace never threw a bomb. He never fired a gun, but he created the climate and the conditions that encouraged vicious attacks against innocent Americans who were simply trying to exercise their constitutional rights. Because of this atmosphere of hate, four little girls were killed on Sunday morning when a church was bombed in Birmingham, Alabama," wrote the Democrat.

McCain calls comments by Georgia Democrat 'shocking' - CNN.com

Yes, I am getting flashbacks to George Wallace. The crowd reactions that Palin is getting are similar.

The problem for the Republicans is that America is smarter and more diverse than it was in 1972. Racism is not as strong as it was, although we see some of it on this board.

Yes, I am getting flashbacks to George Wallace. The crowd reactions that Palin is getting are similar.

The problem for the Republicans is that America is smarter and more diverse than it was in 1972. Racism is not as strong as it was, although we see some of it on this board.
Wallace was a DEMOCRAT

i see stupid people.

He was a Dixiecrat Democrat. They were racists.

So are most of the Republicans I know here in Virginia.

Key word in bold. It is the same party. The party of Kennedy and Johnson. You have to take the bad wth good.

George Wallace was a democrat, in a time when in the south many Racist Democrats leaders were trying to keep the Blacks from voting. MLK. Jr for example was a Republican.

I don't think John Lewis forgot this at all. John Lewis was beaten to a bloody pulp by a White mob in Montgomery as a Freedom Rider in the spring of 1961.

He had a huge role in marches, getting attacked by by Police while he was being nonviolent. Some of those wounds are still visible today.

John Lewis knows hate and division when he sees it.

John Lewis (politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now it's basically switched. Democrats are accused of giving handouts to the poor which alot of the time can supposedly be only blacks to some people in this nation (though not myself personally do I believe that) while the Republicans are trying to get Blacks and others disfranchised.

Last edited:
I'm only telling you what is considered the truth to plenty of people today. Personally? I don't believe it's mostly blacks who are poor but that's what you hear so very often.

There, I fixed it. Are you going to fix your post since you make me come off as a racist when I'm not?

Last edited:
I'm only telling you what is considered the truth to plenty of people today. Personally? I don't believe it's mostly blacks who are poor but that's what you hear so very often.

There, I fixed it. Are you going to fix your post since you make me come off as a racist when I'm not?
no, because now you supposed that its republicans that are racist when it was your words to begin with

no, because now you supposed that its republicans that are racist when it was your words to begin with

Republicans are trying to get Blacks and others disfranchised. Did I say blacks only? No

You can tilt something the way you want really. It originally came out wrong to you and perhaps some others, I fixed it. You don't want to change it because I am supposedly calling Republicans racist?

No, I'm saying they are trying to disfranchise voters.

The Democrats in the South in the 1960's tried to disfranchise voters because THEY were racist.

See the difference?

Republicans are trying to get Blacks and others disfranchised. Did I say blacks only? No

You can tilt something the way you want really. It originally came out wrong to you and perhaps some others, I fixed it. You don't want to change it because I am supposedly calling Republicans racist?

The Democrats in the South in the 1960's tried to disfranchise voters because THEY were racist.

See the difference?

it's "disenfranchised" and you've got to be kidding me.

See the difference?
because that is also wrong
Republicans are trying to make sure only those LEGALLY ABLE to vote, vote
where as democrats want to have just anyone, legal or not, vote
sorry, thats not disenfranchisement, that the LAW

yes, he remained a democrat
Well he left the party for awhile also! And only returned after being "born again". What I should of said was " do think the Wallace of the 60's would have been a democrat today?" the answer would be no!

because that is also wrong
Republicans are trying to make sure only those LEGALLY ABLE to vote, vote
where as democrats want to have just anyone, legal or not, vote
sorry, thats not disenfranchisement, that the LAW

They are using the law to excuse the fact there will be plenty of people who can and legally are able to vote who will be disenfranchised.

“I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever.”

If any demonstrator ever lays down in front of my car, it'll be the last car he'll ever lay down in front of”

George Wallace.

Show me where palin and mccain have made statements like this.

Forum List

Back