Mauritania Confronts Long Legacy of Slavery

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It's sad how there is still slavery in the 21st century. Hopefully something will be done to end this in Mauritania and all the other countries where people keep slaves. Even the Black Muslim women from Darfur living in refugee camps in Chad have to worry about being captured into slavery when they go out looking for fuel for cooking.

Mauritania Confronts Long Legacy of Slavery

By ADAM NOSSITER
Published: November 11, 2013

BOUTILIMIT, Mauritania — The protesters gathered in front of the low-slung police station, yelling “No to Slavery” and “Freedom.” They had come from across the country to demand the arrest of a family accused of holding a slave since childhood, but they elicited little more than dispassionate stares from the police officers sitting silently before them. The subprefect of the district went to take a nap in the afternoon heat.

Antislavery activists protested outside a police station in September demanding that Noura Mint Mourada's former owners be prosecuted.

This year, the government gingerly acknowledged that an age-old scourge still haunted this nation, creating a new agency to wipe out the “vestiges of slavery” here. In a nation where the authorities have long denied the persistence of the problem, the willingness to emblazon the word “slavery” on a government agency — with a gleaming sign announcing it on a prominent street in the capital, no less — was a significant turning point and a step in the right direction, experts say.

To continue reading, go to: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/12/world/africa/mauritania-confronts-long-legacy-of-slavery.html?_r=0

Sex slavery is alive and well in many nations of the world, to include the USA.

Gee, I didn't know you had your own slave. I did read a while back that some woman or husband and wife team were arrested here in the U.S. (I can't remember if they came from Saudi Arabia or Pakistan) for keeping their employee in slavery.

Sex slavery is alive and well in many nations of the world, to include the USA.

Gee, I didn't know you had your own slave. I did read a while back that some woman or husband and wife team were arrested here in the U.S. (I can't remember if they came from Saudi Arabia or Pakistan) for keeping their employee in slavery.

I'm not sure where you got that idea Sally, but perhaps reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Sexual slavery is unfortunately very common and in the US, it's particularly prevalent among young runaways, and illegal immigrants brought in for the sex trades. Thailand is one of the worst places in the world for this.

Ariel Castro held 3 young girls as sex slaves in Cleveland, Ohio basement

Three women held captive in a dungeon for a decade gave birth to five babies during the ordeal.

Gina DeJesus, 23, Michelle Knight, 30, and Amanda Berry, 26 , and her six-year-old daughter fled the house in Cleveland, Ohio.

Ariel Castro, 52, and his two brothers have been arrested.

Frantic Amanda choked back tears as she told police “I’m free” after she escaped the dungeon.

Amanda fled the hell-hole thanks to a hero neighbour before her dramatic 911 call ended the victims’ ordeal .

It had been feared that Amanda and the other captives – Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight – had been murdered.

After escaping the house on Monday just three miles from where they each went missing between 2002 and 2004, they named their captor as 52-year-old Ariel Castro, who tonight was in custody with his two brothers.

Amanda Berry: Three captive women chained up in grim dungeon for a decade gave birth to five babies - Mirror Online

Three women held captive in a dungeon for a decade gave birth to five babies during the ordeal.

Gina DeJesus, 23, Michelle Knight, 30, and Amanda Berry, 26 , and her six-year-old daughter fled the house in Cleveland, Ohio.

Frantic Amanda choked back tears as she told police “I’m free” after she escaped the dungeon.

Amanda fled the hell-hole thanks to a hero neighbour before her dramatic 911 call ended the victims’ ordeal .

It had been feared that Amanda and the other captives – Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight – had been murdered.

After escaping the house on Monday just three miles from where they each went missing between 2002 and 2004, they named their captor as 52-year-old Ariel Castro, who tonight was in custody with his two brothers.

Amanda Berry: Three captive women chained up in grim dungeon for a decade gave birth to five babies - Mirror Online

all of us-----sunni and coyote and the rest of us are happy that the
CRIMINALS who held people captive were found out

but sunni and coyote do not mind at all that UN studies reveal
that a full 20% of the POPULATION OF MAURITANIA are slaves.
There have been some attempts to outlaw slavery in Mauritania
but all have failed since slavery is consistent with shariah law ----
Mauritania is VERY MUCH a muslim country----thus one cannot
argue with that which shariah permits--------

Saudis and oil shaykhs from the emirates -----do manage to buy
little boys and girls in pakistan, Indonesia and india ----for USE
back home------it may not be entirely legal ----but it is very difficult
to disallow that which shariah allows in Saudi arabia ---and the
emirates (a pakistani physician was my informant----as such---
some visiting oily guys invited him along on the buying spree---for him--
it was a free, all expense paid trip to India-----nice kid---he was not
all that happy with the practice)

all of us-----sunni and coyote and the rest of us are happy that the
CRIMINALS who held people captive were found out

Yup.

but sunni and coyote do not mind at all that UN studies reveal
that a full 20% of the POPULATION OF MAURITANIA are slaves.

Nope. Dead wrong about that one Rosie, your psychic powers are .... shall we say in need of a polishing.

I absolutely oppose human trafficking and I'm willing to bet you and Sunni do as well :)

There have been some attempts to outlaw slavery in Mauritania
but all have failed since slavery is consistent with shariah law ----
Mauritania is VERY MUCH a muslim country----thus one cannot
argue with that which shariah permits--------

Human trafficking exists regardless of a country's religion. Remember Rosie, the Bible too supports slavery. The need for cheap (and often expendable) labor or sex has no religious exclusivity.

However...I'm sad to see that your only concern seems to be that you can tie it in with Islam. I was hoping it was out of a real concern for the victims of human trafficking.

Saudis and oil shaykhs from the emirates -----do manage to buy
little boys and girls in pakistan, Indonesia and india ----for USE
back home------it may not be entirely legal ----but it is very difficult
to disallow that which shariah allows in Saudi arabia ---and the
emirates (a pakistani physician was my informant----as such---
some visiting oily guys invited him along on the buying spree---for him--
it was a free, all expense paid trip to India-----nice kid---he was not
all that happy with the practice)

Ah Rosie...you always have these oh-so-convenient "informants" to support your narrative.

Do you know what the worst offenders are for slavery?

China, Russia, and Uzbekistan have been named among the worst offenders when it comes to human trafficking, according to a State Department report released Wednesday, joining Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Sudan, and Zimbabwe on the bottom "tier" of the U.S. human trafficking rank.

Forum List

Back