Zone1 Maundy Thursday

Obviousy, for Christians, this is the day when we remember the Last Supper and the events leading up to the Crucifixion of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. In addition to the reminder about Christ being betrayed by one of the Chosen Twelve, this feast inaugurated the symbolic sacrifice...bread and wine representing the Body and Blood of the Redeemer.

The liturgical calendar promotes a constant recognition of the key events in Christ's life and how they fit into our overall belief system.

Maundy Thursday is a day of prayer and reflection, but for most Christians it is just a lead-up to the remembrance of the final act of atonement, in which the Son of God is sacrificed for the sins of humanity (us).

Obviousy, for Christians, this is the day when we remember the Last Supper and the events leading up to the Crucifixion of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. In addition to the reminder about Christ being betrayed by one of the Chosen Twelve, this feast inaugurated the symbolic sacrifice...bread and wine representing the Body and Blood of the Redeemer.

The liturgical calendar promotes a constant recognition of the key events in Christ's life and how they fit into our overall belief system.

Maundy Thursday is a day of prayer and reflection, but for most Christians it is just a lead-up to the remembrance of the final act of atonement, in which the Son of God is sacrificed for the sins of humanity (us).

thank you for explaining!

in Germany today one eats ….

Frankfurt Green Sauce!

so now you have read about it …..
Yup..it prompted a yawn and two sips of coffee--this led to a reflection on the Middle-ages and the Catholic church's propensity to load the calendar with propaganda. I then learned that Maundy is the ceremony of washing feet.
This led to a laugh and more coffee. As a positive gain, I learned that the day before Muandy Thursday is called Spy Wednesday~

Maundy Thursday or Holy Thursday, among other names,[note 1] is the day during Holy Week that commemorates the Washing of the Feet (Maundy) and Last Supper of Jesus Christ with the Apostles, as described in the canonical gospels.[1]

It is the fifth day of Holy Week, preceded by Holy Wednesday (Spy Wednesday) and followed by Good Friday.[2] "Maundy" comes from the Latin word mandatum, or commandment, reflecting Jesus' words "I give you a new commandment."[3] The date of the day will vary according to whether the Gregorian calendar or the Julian calendar is used. Eastern churches generally use the Julian system.

Yup..it prompted a yawn and two sips of coffee--this led to a reflection on the Middle-ages and the Catholic church's propensity to load the calendar with propaganda. I then learned that Maundy is the ceremony of washing feet.
This led to a laugh and more coffee. As a positive gain, I learned that the day before Muandy Thursday is called Spy Wednesday~

Maundy Thursday or Holy Thursday, among other names,[note 1] is the day during Holy Week that commemorates the Washing of the Feet (Maundy) and Last Supper of Jesus Christ with the Apostles, as described in the canonical gospels.[1]

It is the fifth day of Holy Week, preceded by Holy Wednesday (Spy Wednesday) and followed by Good Friday.[2] "Maundy" comes from the Latin word mandatum, or commandment, reflecting Jesus' words "I give you a new commandment."[3] The date of the day will vary according to whether the Gregorian calendar or the Julian calendar is used. Eastern churches generally use the Julian system.

Spy Wednesday was new for me!

Thanks for the Info!

today is the day

what does it mean for you?

Christmas is the big holidays for the non-believers, and that's okay. It's great, even.

"Easter" is the holiday for the believers, including the Lord's Supper, Good Friday, and Resurrection Sunday/Easter. But then, while the days are nice, they're not necessary. I feel like those of us who are saved carry those with us every day.

Being Pennsylvania Dutch myself:
Among the many gods worshiped by the Germanic people who lived in northern Europe in ancient times was one whose name was Thor. Thor was the god of thunder, weather, and crops. In the early Norse language, the fifth day of the week was known as thōrsdagr, literally "day of Thor," in his honor. The Norse name came into Old English as thursdæg, which in time became the Modern English Thursday.
I still don't understand what the Dutch is supposed to mean. I worked many years for a "Dutch" neighbor, never doubting that his family must have come from the Netherlands. Now, all of a sudden, it seems my ancestors and his could have been neighbors.. Weirdness :shok:

Last edited:
easter is sortof like if germany and japan had won wwII -

as easter is - the wrong side, more correctly the crucifiers - day for celebration for the crime they committed and those that use the christian bible as a religion from the 1st century.

liberation theology, self determination what those in the 1st century died for is no where found in the false christian holiday they make for themselves.

Tomorrow my thoughts will be about Jesus before the authorities and the crucifixion. Saturday I be thinking ahead and recalling one of my favorite Bible stories, the Road to Emmaus. Maundy Thursday I give thought to the Last Supper, Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, the betrayal by Judas Iscariot, and Peter's three denials. I reflect on how the disciples, despite numerous indications from Jesus, were about to have their world turned upside-down.

Forum List

Back