Massive Twister Hitting OKC

Watching footage of a school - completely wrecked.

Damn Republicans had better not refuse aid again. Or hold the elderly and young children hostage to give up FOOD so Okalhoma can get help.

I hope Obama can get that aid into that area fast.

Seriously? Is it a slum? There was a tornado in a fairly well to do suburb of Nashville and the then forum denizens had shit fits because help was sent. If you ain't po folk, the people of this country don't give a flip about you.

Damn Republicans had better not refuse aid again. Or hold the elderly and young children hostage to give up FOOD so Okalhoma can get help.

The people that live there in the area are the first to help, then those who live in nearest cities and towns get there 2nd and then the Red Cross and then FEMA.

CaféAuLait;7262429 said:
CaféAuLait;7262405 said:
In Kansas none of the schools there had underground shelters, that I dealt with. Bathrooms were the shelters
Isn't Norman the town that had no working sirens in 1999 when they were hit with a huge tornado?

Why wouldn't they have reinforced at least the schools with some sort of shelter.

I'd have to think twice before I put a kid in a school that was so poorly built.

I believe one of the problems is the amount of tornado warning issued daily, people become complacent. Just another warning, all will be well. I am not bashing anyone but it just seemed that way.
No, I can see that being the case....People do get complacent.

CaféAuLait;7262405 said:
One thing that gives Me heart. Oklahoma knows tornadoes and they know how to build for them. those two schools were totaled, but that is an outside view.

I cannot believe they would not have had underground shelter.

Reports now are of an EF5. That means nothing above ground is considered safe. I watched this monster almost from its formation. Most frightening images of weather I've ever seen.

In Kansas none of the schools there had underground shelters, that I dealt with. Bathrooms were the shelters
Isn't Norman the town that had no working sirens in 1999 when they were hit with a huge tornado?

Why wouldn't they have reinforced at least the schools with some sort of shelter.

I'd have to think twice before I put a kid in a school that was so poorly built.
One of the stations said the rebuilt school after 1999 included storm shelters for school children. We'll here a lot of conflicting stories. I don't know what is and isn't true. There are no communication towers left in affected areas, and all electric lines are down, and more activity is on its way, they're saying. I hope it calms down asap.

The people that live there in the area are the first to help, then those who live in nearest cities and towns get there 2nd and then the Red Cross and then FEMA.

After they kicking they took over helping the people of Hendersonville, TN, I'd be surprised if FEMA shows, unless it took out a slum. Sounds like it didn't if horses were missing.

CaféAuLait;7262405 said:

One of the stations said the rebuilt school after 1999 included storm shelters for school children. We'll here a lot of conflicting stories. I don't know what is and isn't true. There are no communication towers left in affected areas, and all electric lines are down, and more activity is on its way, they're saying. I hope it calms down asap.
Could be days before we get a good picture of the final devastation.

CaféAuLait;7262429 said:

I believe one of the problems is the amount of tornado warning issued daily, people become complacent. Just another warning, all will be well. I am not bashing anyone but it just seemed that way.
No, I can see that being the case....People do get complacent.

When I lived there the radio would be going off and it was usually business as usual. There was an article about it, the weather service was bashed for putting out the endless warnings but they said if they did not, then the one time they didn't it would hit and they would be liable.

Nope......already taken via helicopter.........absolutely unfuckingbeliveable. Looks like a nuke went off in that town........

LIVE UPDATES: Tornadoes tear through counties across Okla. | KFOR.com

Yet another reporter in tears, victims found in the school according to him, he broke up into tears after stating the first responder's response to his question about victims being found was for the first responder to hang his head.

When storm warnings come out, sometimes 5-10% of the people refuse to leave their home unless it is mandatory. They knew what was going to happen to Mount St. Helens, yet 54 people died there back in 1980 when it blew. May? Yes. May 14. We lived 70 miles south of it in Oregon at the time. The debris moved north, we got just a little ash coating all over stuff was all. It pretty much followed the winds.

They're recommending we pray for the people of Oklahoma City on tv. :eusa_pray:

Matthew, this will be a case of the locals helping each other out. They say towers for communication are out, power lines are down, gas lines are causing fires of structures left standing (or not), not a good place to travel to right now with storms expected to follow for the duration of today and likely tomorrow, due to the slow speed of the clouds.

Kinda like Joplin was.....

Nope......already taken via helicopter.........absolutely unfuckingbeliveable. Looks like a nuke went off in that town........

LIVE UPDATES: Tornadoes tear through counties across Okla. | KFOR.com

That's just the visual toll. The final analysis will be much worse.

Matthew, this will be a case of the locals helping each other out. They say towers for communication are out, power lines are down, gas lines are causing fires of structures left standing (or not), not a good place to travel to right now with storms expected to follow for the duration of today and likely tomorrow, due to the slow speed of the clouds.

Kinda like Joplin was.....
Yes. I have friends in Joplin. I remember their recounting of the aftermath.

Report:

One teacher in serous condition after laying across three students in an effort to protect them.....

tumblr_m0u2zqyX381r4sy9x.jpg

inhofe-leadin-winter2006-we.gif

Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for OK.

Not now, please.

Forum List

Back