Massive Twister Hitting OKC

This is what is left of the hospital in Moore, Moore Medical Center:

screen-shot-2013-05-20-at-5-44-00-pm.png

LIVE UPDATES: Students told to ?cling to walls? in Moore, Okla. tornado | KFOR.com

I have a friend in Moore posting photos on Face Book now, his roof is gone, garage decimated and a boat on their house. They don't own a boat. The photos are incredible. Horrible.

CaféAuLait;7262612 said:
4 confirmed dead, but this was not at the school but on a street corner. : (

KFOR’s Meg Alexander reports at least 4 found dead at 4th and Telephone, including a 7 month old baby

LIVE UPDATES: Students told to ?cling to walls? in Moore, Okla. tornado | KFOR.com

They said the tornado that hit there in 98 or 99 killed 50, but this is at least twice as bad. Heard reports earlier that one family that was in their storm shelter could not get the doors open to let others in because the winds were so strong. They are assuming those left outside perished. Also 75 to 100 horses were lost at a horse ranch. The caretaker who survived looked like he was in shock. It's a very sad day in Oklahoma. My prayers go out to everyone affected.

CaféAuLait;7262685 said:
I have a friend in Moore posting photos on Face Book now, his roof is gone, garage decimated and a boat on their house. They don't own a boat. The photos are incredible. Horrible.

Glad to hear your friend is okay at least. Rebuilding sucks, but its better than being dead.

CaféAuLait;7262685 said:

so glad they are ok, sorry for his house loss.

CaféAuLait;7262429 said:
CaféAuLait;7262405 said:
In Kansas none of the schools there had underground shelters, that I dealt with. Bathrooms were the shelters
Isn't Norman the town that had no working sirens in 1999 when they were hit with a huge tornado?

Why wouldn't they have reinforced at least the schools with some sort of shelter.

I'd have to think twice before I put a kid in a school that was so poorly built.

I believe one of the problems is the amount of tornado warning issued daily, people become complacent. Just another warning, all will be well. I am not bashing anyone but it just seemed that way.

I'm not sure how much complacency there is in Oklahoma considering they do get hit frequently, but I know what you mean. Here in Ohio, the warnings are usually taken with a grain of salt. We rarely get hit hard, but a community very close to where I live was hit two years ago and was completely destroyed.

Weather channel has Mike Bettes in a neighborhood showing images.

Devastation is complete.

Not a house is standing.

tumblr_m0u2zqyX381r4sy9x.jpg

inhofe-leadin-winter2006-we.gif

Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for OK.

Seriously? You're going to post that trash on this thread? This isn't a political thread dipshit. Funny thing is politically I agree with you more than not, but you got some nerve posting this crap on a serious thread when people are going through such a devastating experience.

wow....4 days before school let out for the summer.....

4 days...................

I hope the people of Oklahoma fare well in this crisis. I also hope the people of Oklahoma remember that when they ultimately ask for relief..that Senator Coburn and Senator Inhofe voted no to Sandy relief.

CaféAuLait;7262429 said:
Isn't Norman the town that had no working sirens in 1999 when they were hit with a huge tornado?

Why wouldn't they have reinforced at least the schools with some sort of shelter.

I'd have to think twice before I put a kid in a school that was so poorly built.

I believe one of the problems is the amount of tornado warning issued daily, people become complacent. Just another warning, all will be well. I am not bashing anyone but it just seemed that way.

I'm not sure how much complacency there is in Oklahoma considering they do get hit frequently, but I know what you mean. Here in Ohio, the warnings are usually taken with a grain of salt. We rarely get hit hard, but a community very close to where I live was hit two years ago and was completely destroyed.
most there do take it seriously.

tumblr_m0u2zqyX381r4sy9x.jpg

inhofe-leadin-winter2006-we.gif

Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for OK.

Seriously? You're going to post that trash on this thread? This isn't a political thread dipshit. Funny thing is politically I agree with you more than not, but you got some nerve posting this crap on a serious thread when people are going through such a devastating experience.

I live in NYC.

That bastard voted no.

That said..there should be no blocking of funding for relief to the people of Oklahoma.

I hope the people of Oklahoma fare well in this crisis. I also hope the people of Oklahoma remember that when they ultimately ask for relief..that Senator Coburn and Senator Inhofe voted no to Sandy relief.
Welcome to My ignore list. Cannot let any tragedy go to waste, can you?

Just saw, "teacher laid on top of students to protect them".

That would be one of those teachers you rw's hate so much.

I live smack in the middle of tornado alley and we had tornado warnings today. I'm out of town, very rural area at the lake, no sirens to help warn. We have plans in place and have a closet that is also a shelter but how in the hell could we ever get our dog and two cats in there before it hit? We were hit a couple of years ago when we were in France. We came home to some pretty substantial damage.

Its just SO terrifying.

Forum List

Back