Massive pro-reform protest in Tehran, Iran

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
In the biggest protest ever since the Islamic revolution 30 years ago, hundreds of thousands of people showed up to support Mir Hossein Mousavi, the pro-reform candidate. This is just two days before the election day.

The protestered walked towards the "Azadi" (Freedom) monument which has been a symbol of Tehran for a long time. While one would see supporters of Ahmadi-nejad here and there (the last two photos), the whole scene was dominated by color green, which represents the "green movement" of reform - a symbolic gesture of Mousavi's supporters.

Massive pro-reform protest in Tehran, Iran - iReport.com

First Pakistan drives the Taliban out of the Swat Valley.

Then Hezbollah loses the election in Lebanon and now the hardliners are losing in Iran.

The extremists no longer have the cartoonish Bush-Cheney to rail against, and therefore are losing their political power.

This is the Obama Effect.

First Pakistan drives the Taliban out of the Swat Valley.

Then Hezbollah loses the election in Lebanon and now the hardliners are losing in Iran.

The extremists no longer have the cartoonish Bush-Cheney to rail against, and therefore are losing their political power.

This is the Obama Effect.

yup all because Obama happens to be president. you fucking douchebag.

Ha.Ha.--Ajmujenadad--has been in trouble in Iran for about 3 years now--& has lost much popularity with the population in general--as most Iranians are considered "moderate." But no matter who wins--the extreme radical Mullahs still control Iran--Ajmujenadad is just a puppet--the next elected will be the same--if he doesn't win. However, the latest poll I saw indicated that Ajmujendad will win the election. We'll see.

To add--the same author of this post is still talking about Lebanon- -thinking that some kind of change happened there because they didn't vote in Hezbolah. What the author of this post does not realise--is that Lebanon has been for many years run by an American favored coalition. In fact, in would have been the extraordinary if Hezbolah won a majority in Parliment. NO CHANGE HERE.

I think a little foreign history lesson is in order for this poster? He obviously is very new to it.

Right now I am waiting for the author of this post to pop up with a story on how Obama parted the waters.

Last edited:
Ha.Ha.--Ajmujenadad--has been in trouble in Iran for about 3 years now--& has lost much popularity with the population in general--as most Iranians are considered "moderate." But no matter who wins--the extreme radical Mullahs still control Iran--Ajmujenadad is just a puppet--the next elected will be the same.

As far as Obama--I wonder when the waters are going to part--LOL

are the mullahs more radical than a-jad?

Ha.Ha.--Ajmujenadad--has been in trouble in Iran for about 3 years now--& has lost much popularity with the population in general--as most Iranians are considered "moderate." But no matter who wins--the extreme radical Mullahs still control Iran--Ajmujenadad is just a puppet--the next elected will be the same--if he doesn't win. However, the latest poll I saw indicated that Ajmujendad will win the election. We'll see.

To add--the same author of this post is still talking about Lebanon- -thinking that some kind of change happened there because they didn't vote in Hezbolah. What the author of this post does not realise--is that Lebanon has been for many years run by an American favored coalition. In fact, in would have been the extraordinary if Hezbolah won a majority in Parliment. NO CHANGE HERE.

I think a little foreign history lesson is in order for this poster? He obviously is very new to it.

Right now I am waiting for the author of this post to pop up with a story on how Obama parted the waters.

Amusing post. What the author of the above post doesn't realize is that Hezbollah was winning in the polls in Lebanon until Obama made his speech in Cairo.

Likewise, it would have been impossible politically for the government of Pakistan to go after the Taliban, if Bush-Vader was still in power.

Not having a cartoonish cowboy opponent has weakened the extremists. Bush-Vader was the extremist's greatest recruiter. Now they are gone, and the extremists power will now crumble.

Words have power.

I think a little foreign history lesson is in order for you, my friend.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."

I love the fact that you right wing nuts can't stand it that Obama is destroying the extremist's power base.

Amusing post. What the author of the above post doesn't realize is that Hezbollah was winning in the polls in Lebanon until Obama made his speech in Cairo.

Likewise, it would have been impossible politically for the government of Pakistan to go after the Taliban, if Bush-Vader was still in power.

Not having a cartoonish cowboy opponent has weakened the extremists. Bush-Vader was the extremist's greatest recruiter. Now they are gone, and the extremists power will now crumble.

Words have power.

I love the fact that you right wing nuts can't stand it that Obama is destroying the extremist's power base.

You got a link to Hezbollah EVER being ahead in the polls? I would like to see that one. The entire point is there was no CHANGE in the government of Lebanon--for the past many years the government of Lebanon was & has been the SAME. Yet you want to give Obama credit for it. Hezbollah has never been in control of the government of Lebanon--they only act as terrorist guerilla occupation of Lebanon-- because they have a much stronger militia than the government of Lebanon & are backed by Syria & Iran.

Again--Ajmajenadad--has been in trouble for several years. Yet, a news report out shows that he is still leading in the polls. So now you're trying to give credit to Obama before the election has even been held.

As far as Pakistan. The military in Pakistan is filled with Taliban sympathizers. Al Queda & the Taliban as before during the Bush years--once the military envaded their terrority--the swat zone--they started bombing civilian areas in large cities. The government of Pakistan backed off out of fear. You're way to soon here--to give Obama credit for that--especially after a horrendous terrorist bombing over the weekend.

You may believe that because we have a President whose name is Barack Husien Obama--that everyone in the world is just going to walk through the park holding hands now. Or you possibly believe that he is "some kind of GOD"--but I don't believe it. And I am certainly not going to let someone like you try & take certain COMMON incidents & shove them down my throat through ignorant--uninformed statements trying to make me believe that just because Obama is now our 6 month President-- that he had something to do with these COMMON instances.

Last edited:

Words have power.

You got a link to Hezbollah EVER being ahead in the polls? I would like to see that one. The entire point is there was no CHANGE in the government of Lebanon--for the past many years the government of Lebanon was & has been the SAME. Yet you want to give Obama credit for it. Hezbollah has never been in control of the government of Lebanon--they only act as terrorist guerilla occupation of Lebanon-- because they have a much stronger militia than the government of Lebanon & are backed by Syria & Iran.

Again--Ajmajenadad--has been in trouble for several years. Yet, a news report out shows that he is still leading in the polls. So now you're trying to give credit to Obama before the election has even been held.

As far as Pakistan. The military in Pakistan is filled with Taliban sympathizers. Al Queda & the Taliban as before during the Bush years--once the military envaded their terrority--the swat zone--they started bombing civilian areas in large cities. The government of Pakistan backed off out of fear. You're way to soon here--to give Obama credit for that--especially after a horrendous terrorist bombing over the weekend.

You may believe that because we have a President whose name is Barack Husien Obama--that everyone in the world is just going to walk through the park holding hands now. Or you possibly believe that he is "some kind of GOD"--but I don't believe it. And I am certainly not going to let someone like you try & take certain COMMON incidents & shove them down my throat through ignorant--uninformed statements trying to make me believe that just because Obama is now our 6 month President-- that he had something to do with these COMMON instances.

Chris invents numbers.

He's a realtor...

Words have power.

Chris invents numbers.

He's a realtor...

I love the personal attacks.

It means you have nothing else.

How sad for you.

Chris invents numbers.

He's a realtor...

How sad for you.

Ah c'mon Chris - just playin' a bit. You're not so bad.

At any rate, if Obama's actions are able to so quickly make him responsible for whatever gains in the Middle East, does not that same logic dictate then he is now far more responsible for the stagnant economy than Bush?

So this economy is now the Obama recession, right?

Words have power.

BEIRUT, Lebanon — An American-backed alliance appeared to retain control of the Lebanese Parliament on Sunday in a hotly contested election that had been billed as a showdown between Tehran and Washington for influence in the Middle East.

Preliminary results reported on Lebanese television showed the alliance, known as the March 14 coalition, had managed to preserve its majority in Parliament. If those results are confirmed, they would represent a significant and unexpected defeat for Hezbollah and its allies, Iran and Syria. Most polls had showed a tight race, but one in which the Hezbollah-led group would win.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/08/world/middleeast/08lebanon.html?_r=1

Last edited:
Chris invents numbers.

He's a realtor...

How sad for you.

At any rate, if Obama's actions are able to so quickly make him responsible for whatever gains in the Middle East, does not that same logic dictate then he is now far more responsible for the stagnant economy than Bush?

Chris invents numbers.

He's a realtor...

How sad for you.

When you have nothing you resort to personal attacks and changing the subject.

I love it!

Why don't you just admit you are wrong?

Washington - The verdict is in: Barack Obama's speech to the Muslim world last week has already had an impact, specifically in the surprise victory Sunday of a pro-Western coalition in legislative elections in Lebanon.

With the unexpected defeat of Lebanon's Hizbullah-led coalition, some regional analysts are wondering if Mr. Obama's approach – a respectful stance towards Islam, coupled with a firm rejection of the kind of violent extremism that has attracted some Muslims – might also have an impact in Friday's presidential elections in Iran.

Signs of an early impact don't stop there. Consider Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's hastily called policy speech this Sunday, which some experts in Israeli affairs say would not be happening expect for the new American president's approach to the region – and many Israelis' attraction to it.

You might call it the Obama Effect.

"The Lebanese elections came out the way they did because of the Obama speech," says Edward Walker, a former assistant secretary of state for Near Eastern affairs and member of the advisory council of the Israel Policy Forum, a group that advocates for Mideast peace. "The impact was particularly swift and strong in the Arab world."

Wildcard in Iran election: Obama | csmonitor.com

Washington - The verdict is in: Barack Obama's speech to the Muslim world last week has already had an impact, specifically in the surprise victory Sunday of a pro-Western coalition in legislative elections in Lebanon.

With the unexpected defeat of Lebanon's Hizbullah-led coalition, some regional analysts are wondering if Mr. Obama's approach – a respectful stance towards Islam, coupled with a firm rejection of the kind of violent extremism that has attracted some Muslims – might also have an impact in Friday's presidential elections in Iran.

Signs of an early impact don't stop there. Consider Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's hastily called policy speech this Sunday, which some experts in Israeli affairs say would not be happening expect for the new American president's approach to the region – and many Israelis' attraction to it.

You might call it the Obama Effect.

"The Lebanese elections came out the way they did because of the Obama speech," says Edward Walker, a former assistant secretary of state for Near Eastern affairs and member of the advisory council of the Israel Policy Forum, a group that advocates for Mideast peace. "The impact was particularly swift and strong in the Arab world."

Wildcard in Iran election: Obama | csmonitor.com
LOL yeah, the csmonitor has been in obamas ass for over a year

they've been fighting YOU to see who can get further up inside

Iranian elections are a weirdness. You have a very restricted list of candidates, which are vetted and approved by the maddest of the mullahs. The previous president of Iran, who was an Ayatollah, for Christ's sake, was not allowed to run for re election because he was not bat-5hi7 enough.

Anyway, this election, like all others in Iran is reduced to a choice between Pat Robertson and Jimmy Swaggart. Who would you vote for? (Jimmy had more style is my choice.)

That the average Iranian is disgusted and annoyed by the state of affairs is a given. This protest is kind of interesting. Similar things have happened elsewhere. The end result will be there will be a goofball as president of Iran after the election. It may be a different goofball, which might be progress, and it might not.

Hezballah has been in the government coalition for years. As noted up topic, they have military power over the south given them by Syria. They bribe for votes wholesale. Lebanon is pretty much under Syria's thumb, but they don't like it much. There have been wide scale protests off and on for several years, but the post civil war deal is seen as fragile, and no one wants to break it, and bring on another round of the kind of misery they had back in the 70's where 15% of the population was killed in the civil war. So Hezballah will not loose authority no matter what the election returns say. It is neat that there is some kind of resistance to goofiness over there, but unless things really change, there isn't yet cause for cellebration.

And one might argue that since the terrorists are loosing in Iraq, and Iraq, while creaky, is functioning as an almost free state with elections that do matter, this might be putting pressure on Syria and Iran to pull their horns in, because Democracy might infect those places too. So one could also argue that the Bush/Rice policy is finally paying dividends.

I don't believe a speech appeasing the bad guys is actually going to make them behave. quite the reverse. To paraphrase Bismark, change does not happen though words, but by iron and blood. There has been quite a lot of both over the last six years, and maybe we are seeing the results of the iron. The death rate among the bad guys has been huge, so they may be running out of blood.

In the biggest protest ever since the Islamic revolution 30 years ago, hundreds of thousands of people showed up to support Mir Hossein Mousavi, the pro-reform candidate. This is just two days before the election day.

The protestered walked towards the "Azadi" (Freedom) monument which has been a symbol of Tehran for a long time. While one would see supporters of Ahmadi-nejad here and there (the last two photos), the whole scene was dominated by color green, which represents the "green movement" of reform - a symbolic gesture of Mousavi's supporters.

Massive pro-reform protest in Tehran, Iran - iReport.com

You're right, in fact the only difference between god and obama is, god does not think he's obama ..........:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back