Massive 4.0 earthquake centered in Lake County

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
It was felt throughout western PA as well as eastern Ohio, but I slept right through the catastrophe.

Haiti's earthquake was significantly higher at a 7.0, but this was still 58% as severe as the Haiti event.

e3a8f0bb6b406df8e187f4d7e800d069.jpg

Earthquake severity depends upon direction of movement and the type of oluvial soil in the immediate area surrounding the Earthquake.

A severe Earthquake in the Los Angeles area is only a 4....but in San Francisco it requires something much stronger as they have 3's on a regular basis.

The eastern part of the United States is on firm bedrock ... so even a 4.0 magnitude earthquake will shake things far and wide ... the West Coast tends to be heavily faulted and that restricts the shaking to the local area, though 7.0 or higher is going to shake things up further and wider ...

I'm from Western Oregon, so I can talk about 9.5 magnitude ... enough to ruin your day ...

It was felt throughout western PA as well as eastern Ohio, but I slept right through the catastrophe.

Haiti's earthquake was significantly higher at a 7.0, but this was still 58% as severe as the Haiti event.

No, no, ,no, Michael Moore just slipped on a bar of soup in the shower is all.

1693232369390.png

Earthquake severity depends upon direction of movement and the type of oluvial soil in the immediate area surrounding the Earthquake.

A severe Earthquake in the Los Angeles area is only a 4....but in San Francisco it requires something much stronger as they have 3's on a regular basis.
A 4.0 earthquake in Los Angeles gets an honorable mention on the nightly news.

I have been right on top of a 4. It was no biggie. I was a hundred miles from a 6.9 and watched as a section of bridge collapsed on somebody I knew. Big biggie.

A 5 point is actually 10 times as powerful as a 4. A 7 point is actually a thousand times as powerful.

I'm in that area and we never felt it. There was one in the 80's (5.0) that we definitely felt.

Forum List

Back