Massachusetts preschool bans the term ‘best friend'

"Insane" isn't quite the right word for these people. "Neurotic" isn't nearly strong enough.

Incredible. But not surprising.

=============================================================================

GEORGETOWN, Mass. - A local preschool is causing controversy by banning students from using the term 'best friend.'

Christine Hartwell said she is outraged after a teacher at Pentucket Workshop Preschool told her four-year-old daughter she couldn't call one of her classmates her "best friend."

The preschool defends their stance, saying banning the term promotes inclusion in the classroom, while Hartwell said it can end up having a negative affect on her daughter.

"How do you police a four-year-old from expressing their feelings?" said Hartwell. "It's outrageous, it's silly [and] it hurts."

Hartwell said she first learned of the ban after her daughter Julia came home from school one day acting differently. Julia told her mother she was upset because her teacher told her she couldn't call one of her classmates her "best friend."

"When I asked her what was wrong she said she was really sad about what her teacher did that day," said Hartwell.

Hartwell said her daughter is now hesitant to call anyone her best friend anymore.

Hartwell and her husband went to the director at Pentuket Workshop to find out more about this policy, which she said is not spelled out in the school handbook.

The preschool sent a letter to the Hartwell family in response to the issue, stating they've done research on the pros and cons of using the term "best friend," and that they'll continue to discourage children from using it in group settings.

The Director's letter says, in part:

"It has been our experience (which spans decades) that the use of the term 'best friend,' even when used in a loving way, can lead other children to feel excluded [...] which can ultimately lead to the formation of 'cliques' and 'outsiders"

Hartwell said not only do best friends allow kids to feel more secure at school, but that she's also pulling Julia from the preschool to find a new one where her daughter can still call someone her best friend.

"I want her to be able to express her thoughts and feelings in a healthy way, as children should," said Hartwell.

Sorry lady, the Regressives don't.

The term has not been banned at the school.

That kid can call anyone she wants to "best friend" and nothing will happen to her.

You may now proceed with your phoney outrage.

That kid can call anyone she wants to "best friend" and nothing will happen to her.

It seems the problem is not so much with the "ban" itself but with the idiotic thinking that produced it.

Even at four I was picky about friends, choosing my associates wisely and rejecting others, as I still do.

It seems the problem is not so much with the "ban" itself but with the idiotic thinking that produced it.

Even at four I was picky about friends, choosing my associates wisely and rejecting others, as I still do.

There was no ban. The thinking is stupid. That's why it is never going to be banned to say you have a best friend. Relax your panties.

There was no ban.

Hence the quote marks, Your Brilliance. It is discouraged for the sake of some nonsensical notion of inclusivity, however.

The thinking is stupid.

Indeed it is.

The damage has already been done.

What damage and to whom?

You may need a safe space.

So you never had children? We are talking toddlers here....

They can have best friends. Nobody was damaged.

There was no ban.

Hence the quote marks, Your Brilliance. It is discouraged for the sake of some nonsensical notion of inclusivity, however.

The thinking is stupid.

Indeed it is.

We agree. Why are you so upset about it? Nothing has been banned and nobody had been damaged.

There was no ban.

The thinking is stupid.

Indeed it is.

We agree. Why are you so upset about it? Nothing has been banned and nobody had been damaged.

:laugh:

Too funny. Who's upset? Merely pointing out stupidity in education.

They can have best friends. Nobody was damaged.
And there ya go, gang. A Regressive is going to allow kids to have best friends.

Just don't say that phrase.

Holy crap. Ultimately, these people always reveal themselves.

That was weak.....even for you.

They can also say that they have best friends.

I have had many best friends y hrougjout my life. Haven't you?

Forum List

Back