Marsha Blackburn: "Save the Incandescent Lightbulb!"

CFL's last 8,000 - 15,000 hours. Incandescent's last 750 - 1,000 hours.

So what? With the stock I've been building up I hopefully won't have to buy another light bulb for 4-5 years. At that point I'll have to see what's available on the market. Until then I'll keep stockpiling the incandescent bulbs when I can find them.

I love it when a liberal starts a thread and then gets his ass pwned.

Lol, I fail to see how that is occurring. Live in your fantasy world where incandescent lightbulbs need saving if you want to. The rest of the world will move on.
Most people hate the new bulbs. And hate the democrats pushing their agenda down everyone's throat. Proof was when the American people put republicans in charge of congress.

Lol, I fail to see how that is occurring. Live in your fantasy world where incandescent lightbulbs need saving if you want to. The rest of the world will move on.

Of course you fail to see it. You intelligence level won't allow it. And like most liberals, you're a sheep that will do as daddy government tells you without question.

Only the one that have mercury are the fluorescent ones, and despite the fact that their output is much higher than standard fluorescent bulbs, they use far less mercury, and last far longer. So the amount of mercury going into the environment is far less from these bulks than what we have been using for 75 years. But then, you republicunts have never cared about the environment before, so why now?
yep. I thought i had seen it all but a Rightie caring about the environment? Thats a new one. Must be some short-term political gain in it no doubt ;)
Conservatives actually care about the environment. Liberals claim they do and then adopt policies that do the opposite. Recall that ethanol was a liberal cause.

Ethanol is mostly produced in red states.
Thank you , captain irrelevant.

You made a double stupid. First that ethanol is a bad thing, second that it is a liberal thing.
reminds me of the bulb wars

xao1.png

I love the new bulbs. I've still used some of the incandescents at times and they blow out so fast now it's maddening. i don't know if it's because they've made them shittier of if i just notice more in contrast to the new ones some of which have literally lasted 5 years.

Just for anyone who wants a good laugh

Save The Incandescent Light Bulb U.S. Congressman Marsha Blackburn

House Rep Marsha Blackburn (TN) is sponsoring a bill (HR 91) to save the incandescent lightbulb.....

Really, this is real. She believes Obama's energy standards are going to lead to the incandescent lightbulb disappearing and not being available to middle class Americans. She lists this as one of her top 7 priorities for her current term in Congress.

What's up for next year Marsha? "Save the Fax Machine"? "Save the Dial-up Modem"? "Save the Pay Phone"?
Anybody with half a brain KNOWS the new bulbs contain Mercury. So while saving energy they are toxic for land fills and life as we know it.

We did NOT have that problem with the old bulbs. So you are saving a penny a month and killing the planet. That makes YOU the fool.

Only the one that have mercury are the fluorescent ones, and despite the fact that their output is much higher than standard fluorescent bulbs, they use far less mercury, and last far longer. So the amount of mercury going into the environment is far less from these bulks than what we have been using for 75 years. But then, you republicunts have never cared about the environment before, so why now?
yep. I thought i had seen it all but a Rightie caring about the environment? Thats a new one. Must be some short-term political gain in it no doubt ;)
Conservatives actually care about the environment. Liberals claim they do and then adopt policies that do the opposite. Recall that ethanol was a liberal cause.

So what ?

I've been stocking up on the old incandescent bulbs whenever I can; solely because these new ones cost way too damn much. $15 for a LED indoor floodlamp? I don't think so, folks. No way in hell I'm paying that sort of money for a lightbulb that I bought for $1.85 a year ago (different fixture).

Not always.

House Rep Marsha Blackburn (TN) is sponsoring a bill (HR 91) to save the incandescent lightbulb.....

Really, this is real. She believes Obama's energy standards are going to lead to the incandescent lightbulb disappearing and not being available to middle class Americans. She lists this as one of her top 7 priorities for her current term in Congress.

What's up for next year Marsha? "Save the Fax Machine"? "Save the Dial-up Modem"? "Save the Pay Phone"?
Anybody with half a brain KNOWS the new bulbs contain Mercury. So while saving energy they are toxic for land fills and life as we know it.

We did NOT have that problem with the old bulbs. So you are saving a penny a month and killing the planet. That makes YOU the fool.

You need to follow a gov't hazmat protocol if you drop a fluorescent bulb and break it. You don't with incandescents. Cfl bulbs are shit, the light they give off is extremely glaring and painful to those with light sensitivity, they hum constantly, they are not dimmable. If they are so great people would have been buying them up and the incandescent bulbs would have gone by the wayside. Gov't (this mandate started under Bush btw) needn't have done a damn thing.

Most people hate the new bulbs. And hate the democrats pushing their agenda down everyone's throat. Proof was when the American people put republicans in charge of congress.

This bulb thing started under Bush.

So what ?

So read the thread. The other poster claimed ethanol is some sort of evil liberal scheme.

You need to follow a gov't hazmat protocol if you drop a fluorescent bulb and break it. You don't with incandescents. Cfl bulbs are shit, the light they give off is extremely glaring and painful to those with light sensitivity, they hum constantly, they are not dimmable. If they are so great people would have been buying them up and the incandescent bulbs would have gone by the wayside. Gov't (this mandate started under Bush btw) needn't have done a damn thing.

Funny how this works.

You see...if the bulbs were better the market would have selected the incandescents for extinction.

Pricing would have had to be competitive to gain market share. But when the government wipes out your competition....what does that do to your pricing ?

Now, this assumes that people buy just on price/value (which isn't always going to be the case....in some cases, the bulb might hardly every get turned on so an incandescent might last ten years...why pay for the longer lasting bulb ?). But that isn't he case. Some people don't like the light they put off.

So the government has effectively limited choice again, all in the name of something that someone thought was a good idea.

Perfect.

So what ?

So read the thread. The other poster claimed ethanol is some sort of evil liberal scheme.

Where it is produced has what kind of connection to who started it ?

Ethanol was started by somebody (not liberals...there is no such thing) for some reason. Where it is produced...means what ?

BINGO.

It's a win-win on all sides.

Dorkyfuzzlenutz-IQ-214 is just frothing, that's all.
It's what frothers do, quite instinctively.
You understand his post didnt respond to what he thought he was responding to, right hackfresse?

Lots of butthurt today, Herr ScheißimMund?

I say we arrest the people who sell 7 year CFLs. Because they cost three times as much as an incandescent bulb and last half as long. You are lucky if they last 7 months, never mind 7 years.

Oh my, the Right is concerned with pollution.

Of course we are. What, you think we're impervious to pollution or something?

Right. That's why, despite a Republican president having created the EPA, you people have been trying to gut it ever since. Ethanol was Bush's cause, bubba.

I've been stocking up on the old incandescent bulbs whenever I can; solely because these new ones cost way too damn much. $15 for a LED indoor floodlamp? I don't think so, folks. No way in hell I'm paying that sort of money for a lightbulb that I bought for $1.85 a year ago (different fixture).

I haven't lived in any residence for longer than four years. So how does that help me?

You can take the bulbs with you. Duh.

which bulbs are those? LEDs? high-efficiency halogens?
or are you worried about the CFL, the ones that save much more than a penny a month, are recyclable, and only contain about 5mg of Hg?
And that's why the EPA posts a 10 step process for cleaning up a broken one, and one of the steps is to clear the room and air it out for 5-10 minutes to let the mercury vapor dissipate.

See, that's why no one takes you seriously. You say stupid stuff.

You need to follow a gov't hazmat protocol if you drop a fluorescent bulb and break it.

Not true.

You don't with incandescents. Cfl bulbs are shit, the light they give off is extremely glaring and painful to those with light sensitivity, they hum constantly, they are not dimmable.

Every fixture in my apartment contains one of the new bulbs, and I've never heard a single one of them hum. You must be thinking of standard fluorescent bulbs. They last four times as long at an incandescent bulb, and though they cost more to purchase, saves you more in energy costs than the purchase cost. So you are saving money by purchasing one.

If they are so great people would have been buying them up and the incandescent bulbs would have gone by the wayside. Gov't (this mandate started under Bush btw) needn't have done a damn thing.

Europe stopped using incandescent bulbs long before we did. I don't see them complaining much, but then, they have always had to pay more for their energy than we have.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back