Marsha Blackburn: "Save the Incandescent Lightbulb!"

Anybody with half a brain KNOWS the new bulbs contain Mercury. So while saving energy they are toxic for land fills and life as we know it.

We did NOT have that problem with the old bulbs. So you are saving a penny a month and killing the planet. That makes YOU the fool.

Only the one that have mercury are the fluorescent ones, and despite the fact that their output is much higher than standard fluorescent bulbs, they use far less mercury, and last far longer. So the amount of mercury going into the environment is far less from these bulks than what we have been using for 75 years. But then, you republicunts have never cared about the environment before, so why now?

^Plus. There are recycle stations. And the people too stupid to know how to find them were accounted for in statistics. (that's you OP ;) )

Why do we need recycle stations for light bulbs?

Before the changeover, there were recycle stations where you could drop off your fluorescent bulbs. How is today any different? I really think the problem here is you people somehow believe you have a God-given right to waste finite energy resources. You don't.

I have the God given right to use as much energy that I'm willing to pay for.

No, actually, you do not. And neither do I.

Lonestar_logic said:
You say energy is finite? Prove it!

OMG. Really? I suppose you think it grows on trees, eh?

Anybody with half a brain KNOWS the new bulbs contain Mercury. So while saving energy they are toxic for land fills and life as we know it.

We did NOT have that problem with the old bulbs. So you are saving a penny a month and killing the planet. That makes YOU the fool.

Only the one that have mercury are the fluorescent ones, and despite the fact that their output is much higher than standard fluorescent bulbs, they use far less mercury, and last far longer. So the amount of mercury going into the environment is far less from these bulks than what we have been using for 75 years. But then, you republicunts have never cared about the environment before, so why now?

You need to follow a gov't hazmat protocol if you drop a fluorescent bulb and break it.

Not true.

You don't with incandescents. Cfl bulbs are shit, the light they give off is extremely glaring and painful to those with light sensitivity, they hum constantly, they are not dimmable.

Every fixture in my apartment contains one of the new bulbs, and I've never heard a single one of them hum. You must be thinking of standard fluorescent bulbs. They last four times as long at an incandescent bulb, and though they cost more to purchase, saves you more in energy costs than the purchase cost. So you are saving money by purchasing one.

If they are so great people would have been buying them up and the incandescent bulbs would have gone by the wayside. Gov't (this mandate started under Bush btw) needn't have done a damn thing.

Europe stopped using incandescent bulbs long before we did. I don't see them complaining much, but then, they have always had to pay more for their energy than we have.

Yes, you are suppose to follow a certain protocol when cleaning up a broken cfl.

Before Cleanup
  • Have people and pets leave the room.
  • Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
  • Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
  • Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
    • stiff paper or cardboard;
    • sticky tape;
    • damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces); and
    • a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.

During Cleanup

• DO NOT VACUUM. Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. Vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
  • Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder. Scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag. See the detailed cleanup instructions for more information, and for differences in cleaning up hard surfaces versus carpeting or rugs.
  • Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

After Cleanup

• Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
  • Next, check with your local government about disposal requirements in your area, because some localities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center. If there is no such requirement in your area, you can dispose of the materials with your household trash.
  • If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.
Cleaning Up a Broken CFL Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs CFLs US EPA

All that because a light bulb shattered on the floor. No thanks.

The light they give off is harsh and annoying, yes they do hum I hear them humming in stores quite frequently. LEDs are better and the price on them will continue to drop, cfls will be history. None of that is the point, though. The point is that if newer technology is better then people will use it, no need for government to once again butt in and mandate anything.

You hear overhead standard fluorescent bulbs humming in the store. The high output bulbs do not hum. I have them in every fixture in my apartment except one. Not a hum out of any of them, though the overhead standard fluorescent bulbs in my kitchen do hum, and yes are very annoying. The newer technology is better in every way. Incandescent light bulbs waste far too much energy to be allowed anymore. Sorry if energy efficiency hurts your feelings. Too bad. Interesting that the EPA created energy efficiency standards for computers (i.e., Energy Star), and no one complained.

That you completely ignored what I actually posted then projected your bullshit onto me is duly noted.

You need to follow a gov't hazmat protocol if you drop a fluorescent bulb and break it.

Not true.

You don't with incandescents. Cfl bulbs are shit, the light they give off is extremely glaring and painful to those with light sensitivity, they hum constantly, they are not dimmable.

Every fixture in my apartment contains one of the new bulbs, and I've never heard a single one of them hum. You must be thinking of standard fluorescent bulbs. They last four times as long at an incandescent bulb, and though they cost more to purchase, saves you more in energy costs than the purchase cost. So you are saving money by purchasing one.

If they are so great people would have been buying them up and the incandescent bulbs would have gone by the wayside. Gov't (this mandate started under Bush btw) needn't have done a damn thing.

Europe stopped using incandescent bulbs long before we did. I don't see them complaining much, but then, they have always had to pay more for their energy than we have.

Yes, you are suppose to follow a certain protocol when cleaning up a broken cfl.

Before Cleanup
  • Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
  • Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
    • sticky tape;

During Cleanup

• DO NOT VACUUM. Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. Vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
  • Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder. Scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag. See the detailed cleanup instructions for more information, and for differences in cleaning up hard surfaces versus carpeting or rugs.

After Cleanup

• Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
  • Next, check with your local government about disposal requirements in your area, because some localities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center. If there is no such requirement in your area, you can dispose of the materials with your household trash.
  • If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

The light they give off is harsh and annoying, yes they do hum I hear them humming in stores quite frequently. LEDs are better and the price on them will continue to drop, cfls will be history. None of that is the point, though. The point is that if newer technology is better then people will use it, no need for government to once again butt in and mandate anything.

You hear overhead standard fluorescent bulbs humming in the store. The high output bulbs do not hum. I have them in every fixture in my apartment except one. Not a hum out of any of them, though the overhead standard fluorescent bulbs in my kitchen do hum, and yes are very annoying. The newer technology is better in every way. Incandescent light bulbs waste far too much energy to be allowed anymore. Sorry if energy efficiency hurts your feelings. Too bad. Interesting that the EPA created energy efficiency standards for computers (i.e., Energy Star), and no one complained.

That you completely ignored what I actually posted then projected your bullshit onto me is duly noted.

Are you claiming that you didn't post this?

"The light they give off is harsh and annoying, yes they do hum I hear them humming in stores quite frequently. LEDs are better and the price on them will continue to drop, cfls will be history. None of that is the point, though. The point is that if newer technology is better then people will use it, no need for government to once again butt in and mandate anything."

Because that was at the bottom of your post? And that was what I responded to. I already know about the protocol for cleaning up fluorescent bulbs (which are much more important for older bulbs, and yet you haven't complained about them). So there was no point in commenting on that part of your post.

Not true.

Before Cleanup
    • sticky tape;

During Cleanup

After Cleanup

Are you claiming that you didn't post this?

"The light they give off is harsh and annoying, yes they do hum I hear them humming in stores quite frequently. LEDs are better and the price on them will continue to drop, cfls will be history. None of that is the point, though. The point is that if newer technology is better then people will use it, no need for government to once again butt in and mandate anything."

Because that was at the bottom of your post? And that was what I responded to. I already know about the protocol for cleaning up fluorescent bulbs (which are much more important for older bulbs, and yet you haven't complained about them). So there was no point in commenting on that part of your post.

This bullshit of yours: Sorry if energy efficiency hurts your feelings. Too bad.

You ignored what I actually wrote - The point is that if newer technology is better then people will use it, no need for government to once again butt in and mandate anything - then projected that^ onto me.

Nope.

Cfls contain mercury and are a pita to clean up, leds are better technology and will make cfls history. Regardless of that, gov't needn't have done anything in the way of getting rid of incandescents; they would have gone by the wayside all on their own.

Just for anyone who wants a good laugh

Save The Incandescent Light Bulb U.S. Congressman Marsha Blackburn

House Rep Marsha Blackburn (TN) is sponsoring a bill (HR 91) to save the incandescent lightbulb.....

Really, this is real. She believes Obama's energy standards are going to lead to the incandescent lightbulb disappearing and not being available to middle class Americans. She lists this as one of her top 7 priorities for her current term in Congress.

What's up for next year Marsha? "Save the Fax Machine"? "Save the Dial-up Modem"? "Save the Pay Phone"?

You need to follow a gov't hazmat protocol if you drop a fluorescent bulb and break it. You don't with incandescents. Cfl bulbs are shit, the light they give off is extremely glaring and painful to those with light sensitivity, they hum constantly, they are not dimmable. If they are so great people would have been buying them up and the incandescent bulbs would have gone by the wayside. Gov't (this mandate started under Bush btw) needn't have done a damn thing.

Funny how this works.

You see...if the bulbs were better the market would have selected the incandescents for extinction.

Pricing would have had to be competitive to gain market share. But when the government wipes out your competition....what does that do to your pricing ?

Now, this assumes that people buy just on price/value (which isn't always going to be the case....in some cases, the bulb might hardly every get turned on so an incandescent might last ten years...why pay for the longer lasting bulb ?). But that isn't he case. Some people don't like the light they put off.

So the government has effectively limited choice again, all in the name of something that someone thought was a good idea.

Perfect.

The government also limits the choice of having sex with 12 year olds.

Are you outraged?

House Rep Marsha Blackburn (TN) is sponsoring a bill (HR 91) to save the incandescent lightbulb.....

Really, this is real. She believes Obama's energy standards are going to lead to the incandescent lightbulb disappearing and not being available to middle class Americans. She lists this as one of her top 7 priorities for her current term in Congress.

What's up for next year Marsha? "Save the Fax Machine"? "Save the Dial-up Modem"? "Save the Pay Phone"?

You need to follow a gov't hazmat protocol if you drop a fluorescent bulb and break it. You don't with incandescents. Cfl bulbs are shit, the light they give off is extremely glaring and painful to those with light sensitivity, they hum constantly, they are not dimmable. If they are so great people would have been buying them up and the incandescent bulbs would have gone by the wayside. Gov't (this mandate started under Bush btw) needn't have done a damn thing.

Funny how this works.

You see...if the bulbs were better the market would have selected the incandescents for extinction.

Pricing would have had to be competitive to gain market share. But when the government wipes out your competition....what does that do to your pricing ?

Now, this assumes that people buy just on price/value (which isn't always going to be the case....in some cases, the bulb might hardly every get turned on so an incandescent might last ten years...why pay for the longer lasting bulb ?). But that isn't he case. Some people don't like the light they put off.

So the government has effectively limited choice again, all in the name of something that someone thought was a good idea.

Perfect.

Are you outraged?

If 50% of the country wanted it....it might happen.

What is the age limit and why is it there ?

Maybe we should raise it (if most of the country thinks we should).

You can have sex with a consenting 18 year old.

But that same 18 year old is forbidden to legally drink.

Do you have a book on worthless deflections ?

Funny how this works.

Perfect.

Are you outraged?

But are you outraged that you can't have sex with a 12 year old, you know, the question you deflected?

You exposed your own ignorance and lack of taste. Incandescent bulbs produce a ambient warmth that is not replicated by LED or fluorescent.
It's bad enough that we have fascists dictating taste but ignorant fascists to boot. Even Hitler at least had an eye for art. AGW fascists are just plain stupid.

You exposed your own ignorance and lack of taste. Incandescent bulbs produce a ambient warmth that is not replicated by LED or fluorescent.
It's bad enough that we have fascists dictating taste but ignorant fascists to boot. Even Hitler at least had an eye for art. AGW fascists are just plain stupid.

You heat your home with light bulbs? What are you? A day old chicken?

Funny how this works.

Perfect.

Are you outraged?

But are you outraged that you can't have sex with a 12 year old, you know, the question you deflected?

Absolutely not.

If you really found that to be a legitimate question then I worry about your place in society.

And I suspect it would be an interesting world if you "could" (as per the law). Interesting in the sense that while I doubt I'd go after the 13 year old who tried (if it were my daughter) with a shotgun......but you can bet I would an adult.

Seems like sex with 12 year olds seems to be of interest to you and NYC.......that is unfortunate.

It's clear they can't participate in a legitimate discussion so you see responses like there are on this thread.

Do you live in a cave? The feds have had a rolling ban of Incandescent bulbs going on for the past few years. They started on the 100 and 75 watt ones, and then hit the 60 and 40 watts last year.

Not true.

The bulbs work here perfectly. I have had some now for 9 years and still don't need to replace them. My electricity costs have gone down.
Nice to hear you SUPPORT toxins in your home. And on the earth. For OTHER people to clean up.

Trying to show off your IQ-214 again, what?

Didn't read the article... But the incandescent bulb is dead.

LED bulbs are better in every conceivable way.

The problem is that the electrical system that powers them is archaic, requiring the individual 'bulb' OKA: illuminator (the chip) to have its own driver. Which are usually misinstalled causing the driver to overheat.

Once the electrical systems are redesigned, people will come to embrace the dramatic decrease in lighting the home... And 'I changed the light bulbs' will be followed by 'why?'. As well designed LED LILighting systems last for decades, with little need of service.

Didn't read the article... But the incandescent bulb is dead.

LED bulbs are better in every conceivable way.

The problem is that the electrical system that powers them is archaic, requiring the individual 'bulb' OKA: illuminator (the chip) to have its own driver. Which are usually misinstalled causing the driver to overheat.

Once the electrical systems are redesigned, people will come to embrace the dramatic decrease in lighting the home... And 'I changed the light bulbs' will be followed by 'why?'. As well designed LED LILighting systems last for decades, with little need of service.

That's an entirely rational post with good points, I'm kinda surprised. Thanks!

I know who signed it and am no Bush 2 fan. It was short sighted and stupid.

On the theory that it takes one to know one, if anyone knows short sighted and stupid, it would be you.

We switched all of our lights over to CFL light bulbs and our electricity useage dropped by 1/3. We also used our A./C a lot less in the summer because the bulbs gave off less heat. Last, but certainly not least, when we moved out of the house five years later, many of the CFL bulbs we left behind, were the first and only ones we have ever put in the fixtures. They had never burned out. Everyone I know who uses CFL's has had a similar experience.

Where we live now, the electricity is very expensive. We'd be crazy not to use the least amount of electricity possible so of course we have CFL's in every fixture possible. We also use the washer, dryer and dishwasher at off-peak hours, turn off lights when we leave a room, and avoid using the A/C if possible.

I know who signed it and am no Bush 2 fan. It was short sighted and stupid.

On the theory that it takes one to know one, if anyone knows short sighted and stupid, it would be you.

We switched all of our lights over to CFL light bulbs and our electricity useage dropped by 1/3. We also used our A./C a lot less in the summer because the bulbs gave off less heat. Last, but certainly not least, when we moved out of the house five years later, many of the CFL bulbs we left behind, were the first and only ones we have ever put in the fixtures. They had never burned out. Everyone I know who uses CFL's has had a similar experience.

Where we live now, the electricity is very expensive. We'd be crazy not to use the least amount of electricity possible so of course we have CFL's in every fixture possible. We also use the washer, dryer and dishwasher at off-peak hours, turn off lights when we leave a room, and avoid using the A/C if possible.
If you want to play host to a deadly toxin in your home that is your choice. Some of us prefer NOT to. And should NOT be mandated to do so.

How many people does it take to change a mercury light bulb? About a dozen including a haz-mat team if it breaks. Read the freaking label. What's going to happen when mercury bulbs fill up the landfills? The radical left will probably blame Bush. Here's the deal... keep government out of our light sockets. If people want to buy incandescent bulbs let them.

Forum List

Back