Marsha Blackburn: "Save the Incandescent Lightbulb!"

Do you live in a cave? The feds have had a rolling ban of Incandescent bulbs going on for the past few years. They started on the 100 and 75 watt ones, and then hit the 60 and 40 watts last year.
Do you live in a cave? Only traditional inefficient incandescent bulbs have been banned, new high efficiency incandescent bulbs as well as rough service incandescent bulbs are available in all wattages.

The Right are the most ignorant boobs on the Earth!

buy 100w incandescent bulb - Google Search

They aren't the same. They don't have the quality of light that the old ones did - and they are far more expensive. The latter is precisely why regulations were put in place to benefit the companies that make light bulbs. Old incandescent bulbs were a cheap commodity, and are now replaced by more expensive specialty bulbs. Once the new ones become commoditized, the regs will change to get rid of them and require consumers to purchase a more expensive solution.

This is exactly how the Prog-Big Government-Crony system works.

The HE incandescents have a much whiter light...that has been true of halogen lights as long as I can remember.

Yep. And for those of us who prefer a warmer tone in light, it's not very attractive.

Do you live in a cave? The feds have had a rolling ban of Incandescent bulbs going on for the past few years. They started on the 100 and 75 watt ones, and then hit the 60 and 40 watts last year.
Do you live in a cave? Only traditional inefficient incandescent bulbs have been banned, new high efficiency incandescent bulbs as well as rough service incandescent bulbs are available in all wattages.

This is NOT an issue of right or left moron. Safety and the toxic brain child of backward thinking politics as a whole. The "ignorant boobs" as you put it are the idiots willing to save today and pass the costs and dangers on to another generation tomorrow.
What exactly is the danger in a more efficient incandescent bulb?

Mostly, the higher cost! Again: they cost 4-5x as much as regular bulbs, and usually MORE than a CFL.

And who really wants to use a CFL after readying how to clean up a broken one?

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs CFLs US EPA

This is NOT an issue of right or left moron. Safety and the toxic brain child of backward thinking politics as a whole. The "ignorant boobs" as you put it are the idiots willing to save today and pass the costs and dangers on to another generation tomorrow.

Mostly, the higher cost! Again: they cost 4-5x as much as regular bulbs, and usually MORE than a CFL.

How is that any worse than cleaning up a broken standard fluorescent bulb, which contains far more mercury?

How is that any worse than cleaning up a broken standard fluorescent bulb, which contains far more mercury?

You're mistaken if you think I prefer fluorescents, bub

You're mistaken if you think I prefer fluorescents, bub

Did I say you did? Where?

The claims that a CFL will last 10,000 hours is a lie - sort of. If you turn on a CFL and leave it on, you will indeed get about 10,000 hours out of it. But CFL is florescent, and like ALL florescent uses a ballast. You can turn the bulb on about 400 times before the ballast fails, In normal use, 800 to 1000 hours is all you get from a CFL - which is actually LESS than incandescent.
link?
I'd like to see a link too. Sounds like BS to me. Any ballast that fails after 400 turn ons wouldn't last more than a few months under normal usage, i.e. the light turned off and on several times a day.

It's not exactly a secret

The myth of the long lasting CFL light bulb AnalogMachine

You know, this "save the incandescent bulb" movement could take a lesson from the environmental movement. For instance, they should choose to save something that is actually worth saving.

Like CFL factories in China that Obama is up to his dumbo ears in? I truly hope all you corrupt fuckers take a major bath on the CFL scam. I push LED because it is superior technology, but the idea that the crooks in the DNC in bed with Immelt and GE will be financially hurt is a major plus.

Bullshit. I have been using CFL's for a long time (basically, since they came out)...and in ten plus years, I replaced TWO. One of those had been on 8-14 hours a day, 365 days a year for NINE YEARS, which is more than 3000 on-off cycles. (I had been replacing regular bulbs-actually, long-life bulbs-every 6-8 months.) I had to replace another one recently...no idea how old it was, though from its appearance, it was 5+ years old.

IF you leave them on, they last longer. But for normal use - bullshit. No one gets more that a few months out of a CFL.

The claims that a CFL will last 10,000 hours is a lie - sort of. If you turn on a CFL and leave it on, you will indeed get about 10,000 hours out of it. But CFL is florescent, and like ALL florescent uses a ballast. You can turn the bulb on about 400 times before the ballast fails, In normal use, 800 to 1000 hours is all you get from a CFL - which is actually LESS than incandescent.
link?
I'd like to see a link too. Sounds like BS to me. Any ballast that fails after 400 turn ons wouldn't last more than a few months under normal usage, i.e. the light turned off and on several times a day.

Documentation on that link is right up there with all your other links. That is to say, nonexistent.

link?

Documentation on that link is right up there with all your other links. That is to say, nonexistent.

ROFL;

You're an idiot.

Introduction to CFL Bulbs - HowStuffWorks

So did I just imagine the stores being filled with cheap incandescent light bulbs for sale? I don't think so. Conservatives really are totally clueless about the real world.

Halogens, bitches, halogens. You do understand they're incandescent, right? Completely legal, and twice as efficient as the old style incandescent bulbs. Damn those liberals for saving us so much money!

The first lesson? The liberals were right. Again. The liberals said the free market would handle it, and it did. And as a result, everyone saves money.

The second lesson? Many conservatives really enjoy constantly sitting in a puddle of their own urine.

Last edited:
link?

ROFL;

You're an idiot.

Introduction to CFL Bulbs - HowStuffWorks

Do you even read your links? This one says there is mote than six times the amount of mercury in a watch battery than there is in a CFL bulb. There is more mercury in a can of tuna than in a CFL bulb. Also, this link confirmed the extreme average length of use as compared to the old style bulb. You crazy right wingers are wrong again as usual.

So did I just imagine the stores being filled with incandescent light bulbs for sale? I don't think so. Conservatives really are totally clueless about the real world.

Halogens, bitches, halogens. You do understand they're incandescent, right? Completely legal, and twice as efficient as the old style incandescent bulbs. Damn those liberals for saving us so much money!

The first lesson? The liberals were right. Again. The liberals said the free market would handle it, and it did. And as a result, everyone saves money.

The second lesson? Many conservatives really enjoy constantly sitting in a puddle of their own urine.

Halogen represents a tiny fraction of the incandescent market. Mostly they were used for headlights in cars and trucks. Not a particularly relevant topic.

Do you even read your links? This one says there is mote than six times the amount of mercury in a watch battery than there is in a CFL bulb. There is more mercury in a can of tuna than in a CFL bulb. Also, this link confirmed the extreme average length of use as compared to the old style bulb. You crazy right wingers are wrong again as usual.

My statement stands, CFL does NOT last 10,000 hours or anywhere close under normal use. The ballast fails at around 400 cycles. How long a CFL will last is based on how many times the light is turned on and off.

{CFLs do not fare well when flicked on and off repeatedly, so they'll last much longer if turned on for several hours--instead of minutes--at a time. "The more continuous the use of a bulb, the longer it'll burn because the most damage to the components is done during starts," says Russ Leslie, associate director of the Lighting Research Center. Accordingly, CFLs are recommended for use in living rooms and bedrooms where the light will stay on for the evening, rather than in closets, where a quick burst of light is the norm. Choose incandescent bulbs in areas where lights are used for short amounts of time.}

When CFLs Fail How to Keep Your Compact Fluorescent Glowing

CFL was pushed to promote the offshoring of jobs by GE, not because it was or is good technology - it isn't and wasn't. LED is already killing it - so again we see that when superior products are offered, the public buys without government mandates needed.

My statement stands, CFL does NOT last 10,000 hours or anywhere close under normal use. The ballast fails at around 400 cycles. How long a CFL will last is based on how many times the light is turned on and off.

{CFLs do not fare well when flicked on and off repeatedly, so they'll last much longer if turned on for several hours--instead of minutes--at a time. "The more continuous the use of a bulb, the longer it'll burn because the most damage to the components is done during starts," says Russ Leslie, associate director of the Lighting Research Center. Accordingly, CFLs are recommended for use in living rooms and bedrooms where the light will stay on for the evening, rather than in closets, where a quick burst of light is the norm. Choose incandescent bulbs in areas where lights are used for short amounts of time.}

When CFLs Fail How to Keep Your Compact Fluorescent Glowing

CFL was pushed to promote the offshoring of jobs by GE, not because it was or is good technology - it isn't and wasn't. LED is already killing it - so again we see that when superior products are offered, the public buys without government mandates needed.

Some of the first CFLs were lower quality, but they were quickly improved. All light bulbs, including incandescent will have their life greatly reduced from frequent cycling. It's odd that nobody is complaining about more fuel efficient cars or kitchen appliances, or air conditioners, but they whine about light bulbs. The right doesn't really care about the bulbs anyway. They just see them as a democratic issue, and they oppose anything the left is for.

Just for anyone who wants a good laugh

Save The Incandescent Light Bulb U.S. Congressman Marsha Blackburn

House Rep Marsha Blackburn (TN) is sponsoring a bill (HR 91) to save the incandescent lightbulb.....

Really, this is real. She believes Obama's energy standards are going to lead to the incandescent lightbulb disappearing and not being available to middle class Americans. She lists this as one of her top 7 priorities for her current term in Congress.

What's up for next year Marsha? "Save the Fax Machine"? "Save the Dial-up Modem"? "Save the Pay Phone"?

This is what we get when we drink too much Red Tea.

Illiteracy and stupidity.

Some of the first CFLs were lower quality, but they were quickly improved. All light bulbs, including incandescent will have their life greatly reduced from frequent cycling. It's odd that nobody is complaining about more fuel efficient cars or kitchen appliances, or air conditioners, but they whine about light bulbs. The right doesn't really care about the bulbs anyway. They just see them as a democratic issue, and they oppose anything the left is for.

You're still avoiding the point, florescent is particularly prone to failure due to the need for a ballast. Because it uses electrons to excite a gas, rather than a dead short to cause a filament to glow, CFL is far more prone to failure from frequent cycling.

"The right" that you whine about is simply rational people. You leftists shoved inferior technology at us through mandates due to corrupt deals with GE, the public rightfully resisted.

Now there is superior technology and no one needs to be mandated to adopt it - that the technology is superior is self-evident, so LED adoption is fast and gaining. Bummer for all those toxic CFL plants that GE invested in over in China... No doubt this will be a blow to the portfolios of Obama, Reid, and Pelosi...

Halogen represents a tiny fraction of the incandescent market. Mostly they were used for headlights in cars and trucks. Not a particularly relevant topic.

The fact that the stores now have shelves full of cheap incandescent bulbs for sale isn't relevant?

Leave the computer. Go to the store. Look. The incandescent halogen bulbs are there. They look just like the old bulbs. They have the same shape. You screw them into the socket just the same. Just about everything about them is the same, except they're twice as efficient. They cost about $2.50.

Hence, it's delusional for anyone to claim they can't get incandescent bulbs.

You're still avoiding the point, florescent is particularly prone to failure due to the need for a ballast. Because it uses electrons to excite a gas, rather than a dead short to cause a filament to glow, CFL is far more prone to failure from frequent cycling.

"The right" that you whine about is simply rational people. You leftists shoved inferior technology at us through mandates due to corrupt deals with GE, the public rightfully resisted.

Now there is superior technology and no one needs to be mandated to adopt it - that the technology is superior is self-evident, so LED adoption is fast and gaining. Bummer for all those toxic CFL plants that GE invested in over in China... No doubt this will be a blow to the portfolios of Obama, Reid, and Pelosi...

No more time to try to logically discuss something with such an illogical person. Believe what you want. The law is in effect now anyway, so all you can do is whine. You might note that there were no widespread improvements in any kind of lighting until energy standards were enforced. That is a good thing.

Forum List

Back