Marsha Blackburn: "Save the Incandescent Lightbulb!"

The fact that the stores now have shelves full of cheap incandescent bulbs for sale isn't relevant?

Leave the computer. Go to the store. Look. The incandescent halogen bulbs are there. They look just like the old bulbs. They have the same shape. You screw them into the socket just the same. Just about everything about them is the same, except they're twice as efficient. They cost about $2.50.

Hence, it's delusional for anyone to claim they can't get incandescent bulbs.

I'm in the Peoples Republic - no stores have incandescent bulbs here. The absurd CFL's are everywhere, but the superior LED are quickly pushing them off the shelves.

Halogen represents a tiny fraction of the incandescent market. Mostly they were used for headlights in cars and trucks. Not a particularly relevant topic.

The fact that the stores now have shelves full of cheap incandescent bulbs for sale isn't relevant?

Leave the computer. Go to the store. Look. The incandescent halogen bulbs are there. They look just like the old bulbs. They have the same shape. You screw them into the socket just the same. Just about everything about them is the same, except they're twice as efficient. They cost about $2.50.

Incandescent bulbs are still available, but I'll be glad when they are all gone. Halogen bulbs are good in some situations, but they put out way too much heat. I suspect LEDs will eventually take over the market, or perhaps some other source of light, but the old Edison bulb is a thing of the past.

Bullshit. I have been using CFL's for a long time (basically, since they came out)...and in ten plus years, I replaced TWO. One of those had been on 8-14 hours a day, 365 days a year for NINE YEARS, which is more than 3000 on-off cycles. (I had been replacing regular bulbs-actually, long-life bulbs-every 6-8 months.) I had to replace another one recently...no idea how old it was, though from its appearance, it was 5+ years old.

IF you leave them on, they last longer. But for normal use - bullshit. No one gets more that a few months out of a CFL.

No matter how many times you regurgitate that same old bullshit, it is STILL BULLSHIT!

Last edited:
So did I just imagine the stores being filled with cheap incandescent light bulbs for sale? I don't think so. Conservatives really are totally clueless about the real world.

Halogens, bitches, halogens. You do understand they're incandescent, right? Completely legal, and twice as efficient as the old style incandescent bulbs. Damn those liberals for saving us so much money!

Bullshit. They cost more (usually MORE than a CFL, and 5-6x as much as the regular incandescents), they use 3x the power of a CFL (about 25-30% savings over an old incandescent), and they give off a harsh, glary light.

The first lesson? The liberals were right. Again. The liberals said the free market would handle it, and it did. And as a result, everyone saves money.

The second lesson? Many conservatives really enjoy constantly sitting in a puddle of their own urine.

You are (again and still) dumb as rat shit.

Some of the first CFLs were lower quality, but they were quickly improved. All light bulbs, including incandescent will have their life greatly reduced from frequent cycling. It's odd that nobody is complaining about more fuel efficient cars or kitchen appliances, or air conditioners, but they whine about light bulbs. The right doesn't really care about the bulbs anyway. They just see them as a democratic issue, and they oppose anything the left is for.

Actually, many people have complained about the new "energy star" appliances...they just don't hold up. It's not a coincidence that when I moved, I bought a new refrigerator to leave in my old house, and brought my 20+ year old Kenmore with me!

The air conditioner my grandmother bought ion 1979 has, at last count, outlasted six "replacements" and counting.

Halogen represents a tiny fraction of the incandescent market. Mostly they were used for headlights in cars and trucks. Not a particularly relevant topic.

It's not true. You are wrong or you are lying...which is it?

Compared to the old bulbs, which cost about 30 cents!

Yes, you can get overpriced halogen bulbs, that cost 5+x as much as they used to (and twice as much as a CFL).

Since the stores around me do have shelves full of cheap incandescent bulbs for sale, you seem to be making very a peculiar claim.

So power savings have the new bulbs paying off in around 500 hours. Bulb life is around 1000 hours. Not fantastic, but still okay, a moneysaver over the old bulbs.

Yes, you can get overpriced halogen bulbs, that cost 5+x as much as they used to (and twice as much as a CFL).

This wasn't about CFLs. Some people want the full-spectrum glow of an incandescent bulb. They can get that now, and get it cheaper than the old incandescents.

So did I just imagine the stores being filled with cheap incandescent light bulbs for sale? I don't think so. Conservatives really are totally clueless about the real world.

Halogens, bitches, halogens. You do understand they're incandescent, right? Completely legal, and twice as efficient as the old style incandescent bulbs. Damn those liberals for saving us so much money!

Bullshit. They cost more (usually MORE than a CFL, and 5-6x as much as the regular incandescents), they use 3x the power of a CFL (about 25-30% savings over an old incandescent), and they give off a harsh, glary light.
Bullshit!

Sylvania 12902 - 100 Watt A19 Light Bulb - Soft White

The Sylvania 12902 is a high quality incandescent lamp that will provide superb lighting to any home or business. Sold in a pack of four, this energy-efficient soft white A19 has a medium (E26) base, emits 1530 lumens, and is rated to last an average of 1,500 life hours.

100W bulbs for 30 cents, bullshit. But a new 100W incandescent that lasts 10,000 hours is 81 cents.

100 Watt - Rough Service Bulb - 10 000 Hours

An excellent all-purpose bulb, this 100 watt standard shape light bulb is a low-priced option for home and business lighting. The PLT 81553 bulb is equipped with a heavy-duty 130 volt filament, allowing it to last longer when operated at 120 volts. Rough service light bulbs like this one have multiple support filaments to prevent premature burnout from the constant movement and vibration encountered in commercial and industrial applications. With an amazing 10,000 hour life, this bulb will outlast almost all bulbs of its kind.

$0.81ea.

Sold only by the
4 Pack for
$3.26

Just for anyone who wants a good laugh

Save The Incandescent Light Bulb U.S. Congressman Marsha Blackburn

House Rep Marsha Blackburn (TN) is sponsoring a bill (HR 91) to save the incandescent lightbulb.....

Really, this is real. She believes Obama's energy standards are going to lead to the incandescent lightbulb disappearing and not being available to middle class Americans. She lists this as one of her top 7 priorities for her current term in Congress.

What's up for next year Marsha? "Save the Fax Machine"? "Save the Dial-up Modem"? "Save the Pay Phone"?

Saving the incandescent light bulb (which just so happens to waste one hell of a lot of energy) is one of Mark Levin's mantras along with complaining about new toilets which provide less water to flush the toilet. Considering the sheer amount of rhetorical shit that Levin spews on any given show, I can see his concern.

However, it begs the following question: Why is it that conservatives no longer value conserving anything? It seems like they're hell-bent on wasting natural resources nowadays.

Since the stores around me do have shelves full of cheap incandescent bulbs for sale, you seem to be making very a peculiar claim.

So power savings have the new bulbs paying off in around 500 hours. Bulb life is around 1000 hours. Not fantastic, but still okay, a moneysaver over the old bulbs.

For a 100W bulb (the replacement is 72W), the savings over 1000 hours is about $2.80. Payoff is more than 500 hours...close to 850-900. (I was wrong...the old bulbs were usually 20-22 cents each.)

This wasn't about CFLs. Some people want the full-spectrum glow of an incandescent bulb. They can get that now, and get it cheaper than the old incandescents.

Actually, no, they can't...because the halogens give a harsh light, something like an interrogation room in a bad movie.

Bullshit!

Sylvania 12902 - 100 Watt A19 Light Bulb - Soft White

The Sylvania 12902 is a high quality incandescent lamp that will provide superb lighting to any home or business. Sold in a pack of four, this energy-efficient soft white A19 has a medium (E26) base, emits 1530 lumens, and is rated to last an average of 1,500 life hours.

As I said: more than 5x the cost of the old bulbs. (And that's WITHOUT shipping, which would roughly triple the cost for me.)

Halogen bulbs use a lot of power and give off an enormous amount of heat. I had a fixture in my sewing room which was great in the winter because it was not a warm room, but was hell in the summer.

100W bulbs for 30 cents, bullshit. But a new 100W incandescent that lasts 10,000 hours is 81 cents.

Actually, I was wrong...they were usually less than that! A 4-pack for 88 cents at Walmart was very common. Failing that, a 4-pack for $1 at the dollar store was available every day!

100 Watt - Rough Service Bulb - 10 000 Hours

An excellent all-purpose bulb, this 100 watt standard shape light bulb is a low-priced option for home and business lighting. The PLT 81553 bulb is equipped with a heavy-duty 130 volt filament, allowing it to last longer when operated at 120 volts. Rough service light bulbs like this one have multiple support filaments to prevent premature burnout from the constant movement and vibration encountered in commercial and industrial applications. With an amazing 10,000 hour life, this bulb will outlast almost all bulbs of its kind.

$0.81ea.

Sold only by the
4 Pack for
$3.26

It's an industrial rough service bulb, which I am very familiar with. (I use them in my workshop.) It gives off more heat, less light (compared to the standard 100W, down by about a third), and throws a harsh, high-glare industrial light.

Halogen bulbs use a lot of power and give off an enormous amount of heat. I had a fixture in my sewing room which was great in the winter because it was not a warm room, but was hell in the summer.

That's not because it was halogen...that is because it was a high-wattage light. I have a similar light in my shop...it throws lots of heat. It's not halogen...but it's a 300W bulb.

House Rep Marsha Blackburn (TN) is sponsoring a bill (HR 91) to save the incandescent lightbulb.....

Really, this is real. She believes Obama's energy standards are going to lead to the incandescent lightbulb disappearing and not being available to middle class Americans. She lists this as one of her top 7 priorities for her current term in Congress.

What's up for next year Marsha? "Save the Fax Machine"? "Save the Dial-up Modem"? "Save the Pay Phone"?
The Obama admin had no right banning the incandescent light bulb. This was done to placate the enviro wackos. Note, GE was given virtual tax exempt status by Obama if the company agreed to go along with that stupid green energy initiative....
Now, should there be more efficient ways of lighting our communities. Absolutely. The government should not be picking winners and losers to accomplish this.
Left to advance lighting technology, CFL's would never have hit the market. Instead we'd see a far more widespread use of LED bulbs.
In fact LED's are far cooler, give off more light than CFL's and last longer. There is no "lag" time for operation of LED's. They are instant on/off...
I refuse to buy CFL's....I use LED bulbs. And why? Because those pricks in Washington thought they could ram those pieces of shit down our throats.

Last edited:

Anybody with half a brain KNOWS the new bulbs contain Mercury. So while saving energy they are toxic for land fills and life as we know it.

We did NOT have that problem with the old bulbs. So you are saving a penny a month and killing the planet. That makes YOU the fool.
Yeah...Those dirt eating tree hugging no bathing enviro fucks are ignoring the unintended consequences of CFL's. Mercury.....

Forum List

Back