Mark Twain rolls over in his grave

I just think it's hilarious that the free market fools wont at least acknowledge that if someone wants to buy it and it's not criminal, they should be able to sell it.

And I just think it's hilarious that you're still trying to peddle this strawman. :thup:

It's not a straw man just because you call it one. The failure of "free market" proponents to at least admit the book's viability just shows the hypocrisy.

I just think it's hilarious that the free market fools wont at least acknowledge that if someone wants to buy it and it's not criminal, they should be able to sell it.

And I just think it's hilarious that you're still trying to peddle this strawman. :thup:

It's not a straw man just because you call it one. The failure of "free market" proponents to at least admit the book's viability just shows the hypocrisy.

You might have a point if anyone had actually argued what you imply has been argued.

Keep swinging Cornelius. :thup:

I hate this substitution too but...

where are all the free market bulwarks around here?

if they have the legal authority to do it...and people want to buy it...why are the free market people being silent?

two consenting adults want to make a contract to buy and sell a book without those words...who the fuck are you people to say they cant, huh?

It sounds like censorship to me, therefore, imo, it's a crime to sell the book.

So no free market issue
^^

Thanks Ravi,

I stand corrected. And I take back my strawman accusations to you and Vanquish.

To suggest it is a crime is patently stupid.

Although I do believe it would be a crime (or at least should be) to publish it without acknowledging that it's not the authentic version of the story.

Thanks Ravi,

I stand corrected. And I take back my strawman accusations to you and Vanquish.

To suggest it is a crime is patently stupid.

cen·sor   /ˈsɛnsər/ Show Spelled
[sen-ser] Show IPA

–noun
1. an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds. 2. any person who supervises the manners or morality of others.
3. an adverse critic; faultfinder.
4. (in the ancient Roman republic) either of two officials who kept the register or census of the citizens, awarded public contracts, and supervised manners and morals.
5. (in early Freudian dream theory) the force that represses ideas, impulses, and feelings, and prevents them from entering consciousness in their original, undisguised forms.
–verb (used with object)
6. to examine and act upon as a censor.
7. to delete (a word or passage of text) in one's capacity as a censor.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You're right, I should have said it's unconstitutional.

so I guess things that are unconstitutional aren't against the law.

This is a really dumb idea to say the least and proves that the people who are trying to change the book either did not read Huck Finn or did not understand it. I'm willing to bet it's the same group of people who try to get "To Kill A Mockingbird" banned as well.

Although I do believe it would be a crime (or at least should be) to publish it without acknowledging that it's not the authentic version of the story.

Yeah. The new version must say "deniggerized version" on the front cover.

This is a really dumb idea to say the least and proves that the people who are trying to change the book either did not read Huck Finn or did not understand it. I'm willing to bet it's the same group of people who try to get "To Kill A Mockingbird" banned as well.

>>

You can blame NewSouth Books...

About NewSouth Books

NewSouth, Inc., is an Alabama-based book publishing company co-owned by partners Randall Williams and Suzanne La Rosa. NewSouth’s roots go back to 1984, when Williams proposed to a few other writers a concept for a cooperative that would be called the Black Belt Communications Group. In 1986, BBCG came into being as a publisher of magazines, newspapers, and newsletters. In 1989, BBCG, Inc., began publishing books under the Black Belt Press imprint. By 1996, Black Belt Press was the state’s leading independent publisher of Southern fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and folklore. In 1998, Williams recruited publishing veteran Suzanne La Rosa, who joined Black Belt Press as publisher.

NewSouth Books in historic downtown Montgomery, AlabamaIn 2000, Williams and La Rosa became partners and renamed BBCG, Inc., as NewSouth, Inc. They launched NewSouth as a new independent publishing house specializing in regional books of national interest

And Mark Twain scholar Dr Alan Gribben...

In a bold move compassionately advocated by Twain scholar Dr. Alan Gribben and embraced by NewSouth, Mark Twain’s Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn also replaces two hurtful epithets that appear hundreds of times in the texts with less offensive words, this intended to counter the “preemptive censorship” that Dr. Gribben observes has caused these important works of literature to fall off curriculum lists nationwide.

In presenting his rationale for publication, eloquently developed in the book’s introduction, Dr. Gribben discusses the context of the racial slurs Twain used in these books. He also remarks on the irony of the fact that use of such language has caused Twain’s books to join the ranks of outdated literary classics Twain once humorously defined as works “which people praise and don’t read.”

At NewSouth, we saw the value in an edition that would help the works find new readers. If the publication sparks good debate about how language impacts learning or about the nature of censorship or the way in which racial slurs exercise their baneful influence, then our mission in publishing this new edition of Twain’s works will be more emphatically fulfilled.

His rationale from the intro to the book:

Alternative Editions

It goes without saying that textual purists will object strenuously to these editorial alterations of an author’s final manuscript. However, literally dozens of other editions are available for those readers who prefer Twain’s original phrasing. Those standard editions will always exist. Even better, a facsimile of Twain’s holograph (i.e., handwritten) manuscript of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer has been published in a two-volume edition (1982), and Twain’s holograph manuscript of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is now viewable in a CD issued in 2003 by the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library.

This NewSouth Edition of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn is emphatically not intended for academic scholars.
Those individuals should consult instead the authoritative edition of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1980) and the magisterial edition of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (2003) that have been issued in The Works of Mark Twain series by the Mark Twain Project at Berkeley. Scholars can also turn to Michael Patrick Hearn’s meticulous and resourceful edition, The Annotated Huckleberry Finn (2001).

A word about the NewSouth edition of Mark Twain’s Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn - NewSouth Books

:cuckoo: It's not unconstitutional either because the government isn't doing it.

Nor is it censorship since other editions are available for those who prefer Twain’s original phrasing.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/general/149094-mark-twain-rolls-over-in-his-grave-2.html#post3166131
From what I was reading, sanitized versions of the book have been available for years. :lol:

there was a shorter version of the book in middle school. can't remember if the n-word was in that version.

Forum List

Back